Lounge Console

jlebrech

UFO Robot
What do you guys think the odds of gamepark making a full blown
tv box console (playstation stylee) if they have success with the gp2x?

Considering that they have got to grips with linux on such a small system, they could make system capable of emulating right up to ps2/dc/n64 level.

Of course they could only officially support emulated systems that had dvd/cdrom drives.

Basically do you think GPH could make what the Indrema should have been.

What do you guys think the odds of gamepark making a full blown
tv box console (playstation stylee) if they have success with the gp2x?

Considering that they have got to grips with linux on such a small system, they could make system capable of emulating right up to ps2/dc/n64 level.

Of course they could only officially support emulated systems that had dvd/cdrom drives.

Basically do you think GPH could make what the Indrema should have been.
No. Who would ever wanted to buy that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering that there are no good emulators out for PS2 or Dreamcast, I would say that a system like that would be pretty pointless. It's not always a case of "If you build it, they will come."

I hope I am not the only one to notice this, but the Indrema is just a good-looking Xbox with DVR and Linux.

That means that it is just a good-looking Xbox with DVR. (Linux has QUITE been taken care of on the Xbox.

hmmm. . . . 750mhz x86 cpu . . . . nVidia processoer . . . HD,DVD,CD. . . Linux. . . . USB . . . Ethernet . . . .whoops, nForce 5.1 Dolby Digital?

Right, the Indrema became the Xbox.

i agree with Ravnos, we already have such a console a PC.

you can get a PC wich can emulate everything upto PSone and N64 for about 100€ and you can plug it to a TV and put PSone-controllers to it via USB.
the perfect retro gaming machine :)

I see what your all saying.

But infact I thinks its a great idea. Just look whats on the market at the moment - those atari joystick emulators and megadrive joypad emulators thingies.

So why not have 1 dedicated console for all emulation needs. It emulates the all 8\16 bit consoles in a nice compact box with a small hard drive to contain all the emulators and roms. Effectively it would be a PC in a box with a usb converter.

But obviously to market the console to people, it would need to be user friendly with nice guis etc. But the first obstacle is legally distributing roms. Infact I've thought of doing this with an old PC\laptop in a neat little container.

I see what your all saying.

But infact I thinks its a great idea. Just look whats on the market at the moment - those atari joystick emulators and megadrive joypad emulators thingies.

So why not have 1 dedicated console for all emulation needs. It emulates the all 8\16 bit consoles in a nice compact box with a small hard drive to contain all the emulators and roms. Effectively it would be a PC in a box with a usb converter.

But obviously to market the console to people, it would need to be user friendly with nice guis etc. But the first obstacle is legally distributing roms. Infact I've thought of doing this with an old PC\laptop in a neat little container.

Ok, the gamepark handhelds get away with emulation because they're not directly competiting with companies that hold the licenses for other purposes.

If anyone created a home TV game console, marketed as an emulation direct to tv system to compete with those joysticks and such. They would get their asses sued before it even made it to market.

Those TV game things have serious licensing involved to be produced, I don't think they'd take kindly to an all in one competitor.

Besides... GP2X has TV-Out, and in time I'm sure some people will come up with a dual joystick adaptor of some kind. Dada, that's all you need.

Well, you can put your gp2x into nice box and connect tv and snes pad

:lol:

... or just wait until someone drops their GP2X and makes the screen go bad...

... Then it will have to work that way :lol:
:blink:
hysterical.gif

You could always make one, Get arcade Cabinet Instruction (Ebay or available free online) Just work hard to adapt things to make it smaller. Either Use wood case or if you know someone at a college get a vinyl case made for it. Just a basically all it would be is a PC but you can find software to boot into emulators and drivers for a joypad.
Once I get mine own pad and some cash thats what im doing

it would be nice to play all those older systems on a large screen in their native res - something a PC would struggle with. Although a single box soloution would need serious power and would probably cost a mini fortune.

Actually, I just realised, an Xbox can do what you want. And soon the Xbox360 will beable to do more, all in one handy box.

it would be nice to play all those older systems on a large screen in their native res - something a PC would struggle with. Although a single box soloution would need serious power and would probably cost a mini fortune.

a pc can do that. or where does a pc struggle?

You could just build a P3 with an old Voodoo3 with video out for less than $100 probably.

From what I remember, my PII with no videoprocessor would even run Neo-Geo fullspeed and N64 real smooth once I got my Voodoo3.

Or Xbox can be modded for like $25 if you know what you're doing. You could probably get one for over $100 on eBay.

Making a console machine is pretty easy, I just never really see the need when I have a computer sitting here that runs everything up to Gamecube.

Once the GP2x emulators get rolling, you'll have a portable handheld and emulation machine hopefully. I probably won't get one for a couple months though.

Actually, I just realised, an Xbox can do what you want. And soon the Xbox360 will beable to do more, all in one handy box.

Careful who you tell about XBox shadiness. or this could be you ;)

Linux runs very nicely on the XBox by the way, or so a bloke down the pub said.......

Wasnt Really Conviced for Chipping but for Selling, it my money I used to destroy the warranty of the Xbox and unless they somehow frame me for selling them then really it's my own right....as far as I know anyway. Unless Microsoft have a law to stop you doing what you like to your own console....

Back