Gamepark=finished.

i 2nd what is said by Akuma no Houkon and c0ncept.....

but generally this a stupid post as the GP32 never could really compete with big names such as nintendo..

However a european release is bound to make some people buy the gamepark(obviously for homebrew+emulators+videos). It defintely won't make people any less likely to buy the GP32 and at least if it fails there will be lots of BLU GP32's sold cheaply which we can all buy...

edit: Damn! my posts never make sense

Well the gp32 does better than the ds and psp in some ways. How the hell can a psp play movies?? 32mb memory stick? Crap!!! :lol: I laugh at them!!
ds have a much better chance at playing movies as using carts you can use gba ones and put them on those.
The ds will not last. Just as sega were not ment to try again in the console war after the saturn, They did and wasted a lot of money on what I call the best god damn console ever. Nintendo where not meant to try to keep up with sonys hard ware. The ds will be f*ck up like the dreamcast. Sony!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I laugh. Sony will not last either. No one will pay their rip off prices for a slightly less than ps2 console! Who has time to get into a proper game anyway while your on the move!!! As it uses a laser and has a large screen, 1 drop and your laser is bust, your disc is scratched beyond use and so is the screen. Not to mention how easily some one could nick one of those!!! Just run by and grab it, its so big you cannot possibly miss!!!

I could ask gbax to cancel my blu!!!
I am not.
I am going to stick by this like I did the dreamcast and it will survive like the dreamcast!!! With the best homebrew seen yet.
Besides the ds and psp won't be out till next year. Most kids my age don't use the internet to find stuff like this for psp and ds info. I can personally say I have 5 friends who no of nothing but the gp32(through me) and will get one when it comes out because it will be before the psp and ds and because it is cheaper!!

I don't get the point of such postings either. You all got your GP32s, you might get a BLU when it's out. Well. why do you still care about how dead or how lively the GP32 is? The fact of 20.000 more GP32 owners doesn't change anything for the "scene". Most developers interested in handheld programming are involved in GP32 or GBA programming already. "We" won't gain another 100 new top-notch developers by any launch, be it european or american.
Akuma is right, and i was talking with a friend this afternoon about just that, without reading his post before. Virgin sells GP32s with our work, no matter if they use the homebrew point for their marketing or not. The euro launch is not supposed to rescue Gamepark or help them spreading their machines all over the world. I think the euro launch is a smart move from virgin, they're selling a small and relatively cheap multimedia platform without the need of further infrastructure like a larger game range, because that infrastructure is already available. They don't care about being a competition in any video game market, because it's nearly impossible to lose a lot of money on the euro launch.

the only thing that "roaming aroung" in my mind is following:

Fun and "rentability" are not siblings:
You CANNOT really have fun if you have to play in order to justify the price you paid for gaming. Indeed, when i think to images they deal us with 3D games titles like "Zelda, the return of the revenge of son of Link from the past Adventure 2", i prefere a handheld where coders are trying very hard to be more original evne if gfx are less good. (despite of the fact that i like Zelda)

Please, forgive me my poor english: i'm a french just-starting-coder.
If any french people feel like translate this post in a good english, i'd be glad... :)

don posted on May 13 2004 at 11:52 AM said:
I don't get the point of such postings either. You all got your GP32s, you might get a BLU when it's out. Well. why do you still care about how dead or how lively the GP32 is? The fact of 20.000 more GP32 owners doesn't change anything for the "scene". Most developers interested in handheld programming are involved in GP32 or GBA programming already. "We" won't gain another 100 new top-notch developers by any launch, be it european or american.
Which is the common misconception about the euro launch. Everyone thinks that we will get this big infusion of new developers, and the reality is, as don said, most of the developers that want to make for a handheld platform, already have a GP32 (or their choice of platform). The euro launch will target game players, not developers. Although there are exceptions, you may get a couple decent developers out of the deal, some who havent heard of the GP32 before. But you wont get this massive flood that people keep rambling about. Even if the euro launch is 100% successfull.

If the euro launch is successfull, they will have to start making a considerable amount of commercial games to stay alive. Virgin and all of these other retailers are not going to distribute a system that doesnt have an active commercial development. They cant very well advertise OS9x or our homebrewn games on their posters and commercials. They need something flashy, something with eyecandy and apeal, to market the hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which "hacker" would buy a GP32 by just seeing it in a store. I bet all of them would do some research as I did to actually find the console and see how appealing it is.

PSP is not any competition towards gamepark. Why? Have you ever used any sony product? A minidisc player from sony has what? Proprietary audio format that Sony controls. Sony also made the UMD that the PSP will use. Anyone think they'll make a UMD Burner for us to make stuff for it. No. I believe the memory stick slot is only for the viewing of pictures.

DS isnt that big of a threat either because once again Nintendo has not supported Homebrew. Anyone wanting a homebrew scene will stay away because they dont want to spend $100 on a cartridge that they can flash with homebrew things. Not to mention that Nintendo has a weird licensing process if a hoimebrew developer wanted to go commercial. Will it have power? Yes, but the GP32 has power as well. Since Nintendo patented handheld emulation software maybe they will release some kind of commercial emu but still they would have dedicated games on the cartridge, and if you wanted different ones you'd have to buy a flashable one and possibly alter a dump of the emulator cartridge.

Zodiac is a PDA. It can do some gaming and emulation but it has a higher price tag separating it from GP32 for now.

I look at it like this. The gp32 wasn't released here and look how well it's done. :D
I'd love to know it's sale stats in Korea and I'm also so interested in the Korean underground scene.

kknd_cf posted on May 13 2004 at 07:59 PM said:
I look at it like this. The gp32 wasn't released here and look how well it's done. :D
I'd love to know it's sale stats in Korea and I'm also so interested in the Korean underground scene.
hummm...
could you be korean? :D

If I hear the words "I'm sick of all these topics" AGAIN I'm going to scream.

You really don't care about the company do you people? They give you this handheld and you couldn't care less about them. I thought this was a community that did care about them, instead it seems to be a case of "I've got a GP32, I don't want anyone else to have the chance to own one."

And the fact is it seems like some of you are responding from just reading the title of the topic instead of the main text.

GamePark=Finished! It's true, the Euro launch is suicide. I gave an alternitive way to market it that could save the company if used correctly, thats all!

Mark posted on May 13 2004 at 08:49 PM said:

You really don't care about the company do you people? They give you this handheld and you couldn't care less about them. I thought this was a community that did care about them, instead it seems to be a case of "I've got a GP32, I don't want anyone else to have the chance to own one."

And the fact is it seems like some of you are responding from just reading the title of the topic instead of the main text.

GamePark=Finished! It's true, the Euro launch is suicide. I gave an alternitive way to market it that could save the company if used correctly, thats all!
im not sure where your going anymore, the gp32 is finished. full stop. it's outclassed. once theres full speed snes gen and gba emus are out there it'll all go quiet.......

scary, no?

I dont think the euro launch can do any harm really, as someone said it may sink gamepark if its a flop but without euro launch their f*cked eventually.simple economics says it will be.

The scene will go on for a few years yet either way. on the other hand perhaps they will shift a few units and then who knows?

I bought my gp to play games but also because of divx playback.where else can you get portable movie play back at that price without lugging something the size of a hard back book around?

Perhaps movie playback is something they could market it on.

I bought my gp32 and have never regreted it.I will buy a blu depending on what people say.(god i hope its got a glass screen)(or at least a better one)

There are lots of older pc games that could run on gp and might give the gp32 the killer app it needs.but developers will never do it as they would risk relations with sony and nintendo.And getting locked out of a sony or bign format would just be silly for any company.

This is the best,most friendly and helpfull forum ive ever been part of.Enjoy it while it lasts.

Phil posted on May 13 2004 at 08:52 PM said:
Mark posted on May 13 2004 at 08:49 PM said:

im not sure where your going anymore, the gp32 is finished. full stop. it's outclassed. once theres full speed snes gen and gba emus are out there it'll all go quiet.......

scary, no?
I know what you mean. I really don't want the community to die either; it's a really friendly place (well, apart from the occasional bastard comment like mine above ;) ) and even if GamePark go down the pan the community will be around for a while after. I just really don't want them too; I want as many people as possible to get their hands on the wonder handheld we all enjoy; I promote it to everyone lol (when retro gamer 4 comes out look in the letters page :rolleyes: ).

I sense some defensiveness in people's posts, well that's probs. because I said GamePark=Finished.

I didn't mean the forum/scene people ;)

First of all. Euro launch is not a suicide for Gamepark. I would call it rather last ray of hope. They are not going to make those consoles for free. Virgin ordered it and probably paid for it. As a typical company Virgin has only one simple goal to achieve - to EARN MONEY - GP32 is one of many product which is going to bring them money. They got GP32 for 100euro each what is quite cheap. They would sell it in big stores where some poeple who eg. want a cheap and portable mp3/divx player or want to have portable NES or want to have portable C64 ... etc would buy it. I am pretty sure they will sell all gp32 very quick. We need to wait about half a year to get Nintendo DS and even more for PSP. Belive me it is a plenty of time. I dont belive they ordered GP32 and made a decision about selling without any researches :)
Look what happend to Dreamcast. Even it is a "dead" console - DC scene is still active after all this years and currently dreamcast is even back in stock (Lik-Sang.com). So i think discussion about euro lauch= Gamepark suicide or if it is a good thing or not is unnecessary :) Euro launch can cause only one thing - more people will get it and maybe more free stuff will come up. Nothing more, nothing less.
And even if it really would be a suicide - so what :) We have great community, many great coders are doing great stuff. And even if they stop, well, maybe gp32x.de will evoluate into another service. We all have common interest, as GP32 is "special" and only for a small group of "special" people. We are all rather older than typical 10-14 years old GBA user (ok, forget about Sam Fisher ;). We found in GP32 memories from the past :) We have quite common interests and we are likeminded people, so why not to make another great site about i dont know, let's call it 'alternate entertainment' (like GP32 is alternate to the commercial mainstream) with all interesting stuff we discuss here, on irc, in real life. It would be next step into the future :) GP32 will not stay forever but it is not a reason to drop something what is good. And i think this community is something good :)

"...Earth to hando, come down you moron..."
"..Roger.." ;)

PS.
If something is not clear blame my poor english ;)

I hope the scene doesn't go down the toilet, I've still got my GpLynx, GpMediaCentre and BOR060 to release !

Not having the fastest processor or much ram just makes current projects more challenging in my opinion :) You have to think about them rather than doing a quick port from someone elses code.

Mark: I think this is a good topic. GP32 to me was always a commerically dead product. I knew it would never be a "commercial" success. When you had to register just to use a smc card and run apps...! what a joke..! BUT i bought it for the geek factor and the Emus. I have a lot of stuff for the GP32 inc. GP cinema (Paid for..!) but i have never spent more than 30 mins using the machine... No time..!

I like it.. i know it wont be a commercial success, but it will always have an underground following and hopefully a nice community..!
I HATE GAMEPARK.. why.. becasue of the poor support for the euro/English community. I mean.. most of the people who own it probably do so for home brew and emu... stuff created by the community for the community... rather than the first and third party softwares.

SAM FISCHER: I had to laughat your post. The DS WILL be a rip raoring success. It ahs the fan base to make it so.... until the next version comes. PSP.. Its a diffefnt kettle of fish.. It'll be a GREAT SUCCESS.. 32mb stick.. i havea 512mb stick.. and oh.. big movies will be released in UMD format.. and they also havea TV tuner in the working. It WONT be sold at a loss... but at a profit.. a new for SONY and MS (Ninty always profit on its consoles at realease). Even at £250,, it'll sell like hot cakes.. kids have more money and the target audience of 20-35 will buy in...! £250 too expensive.. i agree.. but i recall some time ago when kids where i live.... a very poor part of london saved upto £80 for street fighter 2 cartridge and most of the hooligans walk around in £100+ trainers..!

It'll sell.... geek factor... cool factor... style... and form factor....!

ONLY PROBLEM: Shall i get one...? Tough.. i have more than ebnough money to throw at it.. but i dont want to get it and leave it in the drawer just like the GP32.

Long live the community.. without whoich there would be no GP32...

Amen
Shah

with regards to my poor english... blame it on laziness.. and fast typing without lookig at the screen....!

Oh by the way..... cant wait for the Gen adn snes stuff to mature.. and PLEASE CAN WE GET SAVE STATES ON THEM AND GPENGINE.....

...... Now i realise.. the lack of save states tops me from playin...! funny ehhe heeh..!

Shah

Back