Why the pandora 2 needs to emulate the playstation 2 ...

mrMono

Still Fresh
Well, i think the answer is quite obvious, it would sell like like hotcakes.

I'm not an expert about hardware, nor software.  This is just a thought (and a dream) I want to share.  Why not create a portable console capable of emulating the playstation 2?

I mean, hire some of the best hardware engineers, some of the best programmers out there (notaz, exo, ...) and design a console that would be capable of emulating the ps2.  Of course an emulator would need to be written (or ported) too.

Will the next generation of mobile processors will powerfull enough to achieve that? I know there are some very talented devs that could write (or port) the emulator but what do yo think?

Hopefully in the "near" future (2 years?), it'll be possible for an ARM processor.  Not currently.  That's also one of my dream capabilities in a handheld device, and maybe the ARMv8 (64 bit) processors might get there - not sure.  I'd ask an expert like Exophase.  He really knows his stuff.

Are you serial? The PS2 is a beast. It won't be emulated on ARM until atleast 2016.

Have you ever used PCSX2 on your PC?

hot.jpg

I bought a top-of-the-line ASUS gaming laptop for >$2500.

On this beast of a system, PCSX2 can just barely run PS2 games acceptably - with lots of hacks enabled.

Shadow of the Colossus is playable but choppy.  (note: my laptop has a good fan and it did not actually catch fire)

A PS2 emulator is not going to fit in your pocket any time soon.  If it could, it would likely set you on fire.

I'll be happy if a Pandora 2 is as powerful as the PS2 for native code.  It's very unlikely that it could emulate a PS2.  But of course, it would be nice!

Meanwhile, this also will not fit in your pocket:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/jU9nF7noYYU?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever used PCSX2 on your PC?

I bought a top-of-the-line ASUS gaming laptop for >$2500.

On this beast of a system, PCSX2 can just barely run PS2 games acceptably - with lots of hacks enabled.

Shadow of the Colossus is playable but choppy.  (note: my laptop has a good fan and it did not actually catch fire)

A PS2 emulator is not going to fit in your pocket any time soon.  If it could, it would likely set you on fire.
WTF!? My Brother has a Laptop for 500€ with PCSX2 and it runs well. I saw him play FFX, Kingdom Hearts, FIFA 11, Tekken 5 and more games lik that.

I don't know how powrful your Laptop is but the $2000 were for nothing.

Yeah, my laptop is $700 and i can run ps2 just fine. I mean, it might not be perfect, but i think it'll be possible.

Yeah, my laptop is $700 and i can run ps2 just fine. I mean, it might not be perfect, but i think it'll be possible.
Well your $700 dollar laptop still is leaps and bounds more powerful than any mobile solution at the moment.

Gawd I love this community...ha ha ha...what a bunch of techy wingnuts we all are.  Don't ever change.*   :D  

* Change of underwear is socially acceptable and encouraged

Remember when everyone thought the best DS emulation on pandora we ever thought we'd get was 5fps?

Why P2 should be able to run linux steam and play steam games?

Not trying to be cynical here, but we all wished for a lot of things.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst, that's how project managers deal with their expectations.

It's certainly within realm of possibility, but it's not very likely to happen. 

To me, rationalize your priorities and keep things simple and stupid is enough to make P2 happen. 

X86 for tablets, super powerful hardware will likely to become viable in a year or two, but the project should enter the conception phase and start to put things together when it needs to be. 

If tegra 4 is to be trusted as the next gen arm processing standard, ps2 emulation is likely to be out of the table.  

Just make P2 happen as the best it can be in a timely manner, then we will get a general idea of what P3 should be like, or what it takes to emulate those exotic machines.

Thanks everyone for your comments ;) .  I suspected it was too early to think on that possibility, it's just I'm impressed by how powerfull mobile processors are getting each year.

And I want to say that when I thought of the P2 I was assuming it wouldn't come out at least until 2015, so that's why I was talking about the next generations of mobile processors.  

And I would love to hear what some of the programmers have to say about this.  Just see what notaz, exophase, ari, and others have achieved on a processor that came out on 2009.

If the PS2 is possible to emulate.. that would be amazing. Instead of hoping for some wonderful piece of hardware to do the job for us...

"We" need to make sure that developers like Notaz join the community.... 

WTF!? My Brother has a Laptop for 500€ with PCSX2 and it runs well. I saw him play FFX, Kingdom Hearts, FIFA 11, Tekken 5 and more games lik that.

I don't know how powrful your Laptop is but the $2000 were for nothing.
Well the only game I tried is Shadow of the Colossus, it runs okay (with hacks) and I played through maybe 1/3 of it - but it's not as good as a real PS2.  Maybe that's a more demanding game, ask your brother to try it.  My point is that PS2 emulation can be difficult even for a powerful computer.  My laptop is very good and was worth the money anyhow!

The only PS2 game that would work on the Pandora 1 and 2 is 'Escape From Monkey Island' . (via ResidualVM) although it's not yet in a playable state.

I would like to take the time to mention that Dolphin Emulator (for Wii and Gamecube) now has an ARM port under development. However, it can only run well on devices that have Open GL ES 3.0 support. Does the P1 have this? Amd if not, can the P2 have this? It may not be the PS2, but the Gamecube and Wii were great systems with tons of games

I would like to take the time to mention that Dolphin Emulator (for Wii and Gamecube) now has an ARM port under development. However, it can only run well on devices that have Open GL ES 3.0 support. Does the P1 have this? Amd if not, can the P2 have this? It may not be the PS2, but the Gamecube and Wii were great systems with tons of games
I look forward to the Pandora 3 that will be able to run those games at a decent speed.

I look forward to the Pandora 3 that will be able to run those games at a decent speed.
only "two months" away  :rolleyes:

I'd be good with N64 and Dreamcast and qemu running faster would be a plus 

Back