GP32 - European Launch

Flack

I am curious to know what, if anything, Gamepark has planned for their (apparently) upcoming European launch. Here are the things I've been thinking about over the past could of days, since reading about their planned launch.

#1 - Gamepark will need more English games, and quickly. Like it or not, Gamepark will be entering GBA's territory, and wading in with only Pinball Dreams and a few other 100% english only titles could prove to be fatal.

#2 - Gamepark will need to streamline their online registration process. Sure, it's worked great for some of us, but several people have had major problems getting this to work. Again, if you're marketing toward the "plug and play" demographic, they're going to have to make this as painless as possible.

#3 - Gamepark will have to make MORE of a connection with the homebrew community (if nothing else, to make it look like they have more software than they do), and separate themselves from the emulation community.

#4 - I think this is already planned, but they will have to make the movie viewing process on the GP32 easier than it currently is. The few people I've talked to rarely watch movies on the gp32 due to the amount of work/time involved in getting movies to that format. If GamePark is going to push the movie watching angle, they'll need a one stop app that will take movies from multiple formats (avi, mpeg, real video, quicktime, dvd?) and compress them to gp32 friendly video formats with the punch of one button.

I'd like to hear what you all think GP will need to do to have a successful launch in Europe.

Well, when the launch in Europe will happen, software dev's (sega anyone?) will try out developing games for it.

Anyway PC-Link needs to be fool-proof.

Forgive me for being a total n00b, but does this mean Official European Hardware, or will consoles remain the same as what they are now? :huh:
You see, I'm planning to buy my GP32, like, very soon and its just got me wondering whether I should hang on a bit. :unsure:

But, onto the original topic, a few more English titles would be good, but I think more people will be interested in getting the emulation up and running so everyone can enjoy their old handheld classics on the go. This will be a big advantage to GP, and if more support to the homebrew market is given, a large majority of people will be interested in making their own game - or at least contributing.

You have brought up the most importent issues about a successfull release in Europe. I'm not so worried because the commercial games aren't that interresting, I think the majority of owners bought the machine because of the emulators. I did so, but you get something more, you get a full multimedia machine with capacity to play movies and MP3.
Yes, I would like to see more commercial games, please in English, and they should be much easier to get hold on. I'm hopefull of an European release because of more people will have the capability to buy one. More people will be involved in the homegrown area and it will benefit all GP32 owners.
Yes, they are entering Nintendo territory but I don't think it will be a big problem, because the GP32 is a much "wider" console then the GBA. But you never know, small companies has been distroyed before.

Gamepark were approaching other developers a few months ago to create games for the European launch, according to Yak (llamasoft). Don't get too excited though, 'cos it sounds like he's far too busy with Unity at the moment :(

I'm assuming that now they've actually announced a launch they must have found some developers to create some new stuff. Hopefully it really will be new stuff, and not just another port (not that I've got anything against Pinball Dreams, it's just that most people think all you can do on a gp32 is play old games - it's about time we started proving them wrong!)

What they might do (and I'm praying for this) is create a point and click development tool to bundle with the GP32, sort of RPGmaker 2000 style but with support for other genres. Then they could market the GP32 as a machine which plays movies, Mp3s, official games, Homebrew games, emulators (bit risque that one) AND your own games.

would sound good to a semi-commercial market in my opinion.

Don't forget this is like any other console, they don't make much money from the unit. Most of their income comes from games and licenses and that's exactly why they will want to plug the commerical games aspect.

They cant make too much on software at the moment can they? Seeing as most of the software people get is free id hav thought that most of the money would be from the hardware. Wouldnt a European release just be the same but on a much larger scale. Plus, will they be having factories abroad? Selling the units in other countries would spread the risk as the business cycle would peak at different points, but unless they put factories abroad they could run into losses with the conversions...

orangemapped posted on Jul 13 2003 said:
Forgive me for being a total n00b, but does this mean Official European Hardware, or will consoles remain the same as what they are now? :huh:
You see, I'm planning to buy my GP32, like, very soon and its just got me wondering whether I should hang on a bit. :unsure:
:ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Although the current commercial software status is fairly weak (and very strange - I just bought Dyehard!!) who knows what they might have up their sleeves, no one ever really knows what Gamepark are up to, they could have an entire fleet of games to release onto JoyGP or they could be the reason the Sega/Namco merger never happened.

I suppose so, good point. I bet if they do hav sumthin up their sleeves tho theyll just bugger it up agen (bless em). Apart from makin the GP in the first place, they obviously didnt f*** that up :D

Yes i totaly agree with an easy one stop media compression shop for all the GP 's Movie and music needs this will make it a strong multi media device in its price range and a BIG selling point as its not in direct copentition with the GBA in this field.

Getting the likes of Sega, Capcom, etc on board would be great with a quick and easy way to buy downlaodable games online at discount prices again nothing else in the gp's quality/price bracket can offer this (mobiles can but they cost a fortune and the games are shit).

A dedicated offical GP32 homebrew site where fan made games, demos, ebooks/shortstories/mags, and free movies can be downloaded. It would really make the GP feel somthing the public can become involved in not just somthing you pick up for a quick blast now and then. Maistream GBA communities (non codeing or piracy based ones) are just kids swapping cheat codes and pokemon stories the mainstream GP32 scene would be a great site for creative types in multiple forms of media (coding, art, creative writing, journolism, musicians, etc)

This would give it vescatilitiy, great games and a concentrated fan base (much like this on a much broader scale) that is easily accesable to your avarage plug'n play gamer.

Id love to see the GP go main stream as it has so much to offer if it could just pull its self up from the ranks of geek-toy with easy to use software and some decent games.

A couple more thoughts:

#1, for big name developers to sign on, someone's going to have to develop better copy protection. Cracked copies of all the major GP32 games have already leaked once.

#2, most people I know who bought a GP32 were interested in emulation. This is actually pretty bad for GamePark. As already mentioned, the profits made from the hardware is pretty minimal. If the hardware makes them no money and people are only interested in free software, they might not last long.

I'm sure they've already thought of this -- I sincerely doubt their business plan is, "hey, let's sell this hardware for 0 profit and hope people play free games on it out of the goodness of our hearts while we go bankrupt." That's why I'm curious to see "what they have up their sleeve," so to speak.

perhaps membership services for things like joygp?
or theyre developing all the things that they said the gp32 had (controller for the computer, internet browsing, flash?, java?) at an extra price like the movie park.

thought im not sure it'll really gain much from just that.

Okay, it's true that most people bought the system for emulation (me included).
BUT I'm also sure if there are some really good original games, people will buy them.

I bought Super Plusha, Pinball Dreams and even Mill (still hoping for an English translation).
What the GP32 needs in my opinion are some good RPGs (Action one like Zelda and round based like Final Fantasy) and a really good Jump'n'Run like Mario... these two kinds of games always kept consoles alive (best example is Nintendo...)

orangemapped posted on Jul 14 2003 said:
EvilDragon posted on Jul 14 2003 said:
...these two kinds of games always kept consoles alive (best example is Nintendo...)
...who are currently trailing out of 'the big three' in the console market. :unsure:
Didnt the GBA sell more hardware and software in its 1st week than the PS2 sold in in its 1st month ? (or somthing like that?). If you count GBA + GBA-SP sales and figure in the fact both Niny consoles have been out for less time than the PS2, Niny ( counting both GC and GBA) is probably ahead of the competition.

JDUK posted on Jul 14 2003 said:
Didnt the GBA sell more hardware and software in its 1st week than the PS2 sold in in its 1st month ? (or somthing like that?). If you count GBA + GBA-SP sales and figure in the fact both Niny consoles have been out for less time than the PS2, Niny ( counting both GC and GBA) is probably ahead of the competition.
well, they made quick profit, but they still made less profit than both Microsot and Nintendo...

Calm down people, I think what evil dragon meant was that Nintendo have a record of producing a strong genre diversity to ensure success e.g The SNES had Chronotrigger, Mario, Zelda....I'm not a Nintendo fan but I have to admit they produced a winning formula as did Sega with the genesis.

And since when have sales and profits been a indicator of gaming quality. Sadly the biggest consumers of gaming software in non-asian regions are average; Joe " I'm addicted to buying EA's fifa games" bloggs. All of the decent innotive games with high standards and unique features get pushed to the bottom of the Pile by the Sims add-ons and EA installments.

And you have to remember ( I can't believe I'm sticking up for Nintendo here) partly the reason the gamecube appears to be collecting less profits is due to its initial lower price, sadly it has caused rumors to spread and now the stigma floating in the air is, that Ninty are collapsing.

Anyway ...

Yeah, I agree -- the GP32 SCREAMS for a good platform game. That's why I wanted to see that Giana Sisters so badly. Even Super Mario 3 emulated isn't that bad. With some funky music, bright colors, and decent sprites, I think a good platformer could have the GP32 flying off of shelves!

Back