Let there be boards (2010 - 12 - 02)

Nubs on the way is good. Why only 2000? Send them all, unless they are still being tested, as this is another source of delay.

From the board company's view point we must be a real PITA as a customer with our start-stop production.

However, I'm a little confused with their schedules as, like WizardStan, I though these guys were "supposed" to have completed by Oct 18th.

At the end of the day, I guess, they only need to ship completed boards to the UK at the rate the UK can assemble at.

But I'll be happier when all the nubs have been delivered and that little episode is over.

Assembly in Taiwan I'm not sure about. Please only go this way as long as you're sure it speeds up Batch 1 completion, no guess work.

Murphy loves new things and Batch 1 just needs to happen. I understand your views are long term and you need a stream-line end-to-end production line but please no more risks with Batch 1. Once all the boards are in the UK then clear, reliable estimates on delivery can be given. I like this idea. Better, maybe, than possibility getting my Pandora two weeks earlier and suffering a two monthtm delay.

... there is a god
You see a company delivering a fraction of the required nubs which should have been working months ago as evidence of the existence of a god? Some god you have there...

Well, back on topic. Nice to have an update ED. While I wouldn't call "We haven't completely messed up our schedule" good news, the absence of bad news is good enough for now. Seems like my estimate of max 1000 units in December wasn't that far off. I still have some hope left to receive my unit.

That would be VERY hard, as building the units takes quite some time!

I'm happy if we can get the finished boards before christmas though - then shipping will start and won't stop...

I don't trust the calm yet though. It's christmas time, all companies are going crazy, doing production during that time is not easy.

Hopefully the nubs will soon be there, so as many boards as possible can be finished.

I'll be VERY VERY happy though if we find out on Friday that really all the boards are finished and just missing the nubs :)
So, when are we late orderers (May, pos. ~3800) looking at getting our Pandoras by? Mid January?

You see a company delivering a fraction of the required nubs which should have been working months ago as evidence of the existence of a god? Some god you have there...

the first news... "well we don't actually have 2000 nubs like we said" and then an update "ok we really do have the 2000 nubs" that's why I said that

I don't literally believe in god but that's not a conversation for this forum

Nubs on the way is good. Why only 2000? Send them all, unless they are still being tested, as this is another source of delay.

As I mentioned, they didn't get all needed PCBs for the nubs yet (the nubs also have PCBs in) so they couldn't finish more yet.

We are waiting for a schedule for the rest of the nubs.

Christmas is crazy-time in production environments as well, as all customers want to have their stuff ready for christmas.

Great news, hopefully the nubs will be on time and in perfect order this time.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Wow, take it easy man, that is a huge number. You shouldn't wave numbers like that so carelessly, someone could get hurt. ;)

Wow, take it easy man, that is a huge number. You shouldn't wave numbers like that so carelessly, someone could get hurt. ;)
Depending on the width of your memory and how the system handles overflow, such a large number might even be interpreted as negative!

Wasn't the schedule to have all the boards for batch one done by October 18th, a month and a half ago? Or was it November 18th? Whatever, either way the schedule you originally said they gave you had them all being finished weeks ago. What is this "they're not done but still on schedule" stuff? How can they be on schedule when they're already past schedule? You guys are too nice, letting them get away with things like this. :(
Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes. You're under. No-one ever mentioned October the 18th. Or November 18th - it was always October 18th. But there's nothing special about October the 18th anyway. 3, 2, 1, you're back in the room.

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes. You're under. No-one ever mentioned October the 18th. Or November 18th - it was always October 18th. But there's nothing special about October the 18th anyway. 3, 2, 1, you're back in the room.

They said they will finish October 18th, but that didn't really happen it seems. They were probably waiting for the nubs...

I mean:

We stopped production because of WiFi issues (wrong resistor).

We resumed.

We stopped production because of the nubs.

We resumed (and used tested nubs).

We stopped production because the tested nubs still weren't always good.

This must be annoying for a company. Setting up a machine for production takes multiple hours and they get a fixed rate for the board production.

They probably first wanted to see working nubs, which happened now.

The first real schedule was the one we got early November (I posted that one here as well).

^

This has been my thoughts. I run a production line of a different sort, but there is no use setting up my machines for just one run. Why handle things that need to be handled again? Paying people to do half a job twice costs more than doing the whole run all at once.

If whe did went to my sister on christmas (because she has now her newborn daughter since yesterday) i need my Unit for this time, because between Saarbrücken and Nürnberg there are about 400 km (248,548477 miles)

But there are good news, and myebe there are some more good news tomorow

EDIT: Christmas would be better whit a Pandora: Last Christmass i went all 2 Hours tho my PC to see whats new in the Openpandora Board...

whit the Pandora i can bee in the Living Room an surve whit the Pandora... :p

Congratulations to your sister and yourself 'man from uncle' now and all that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1zWafQF1hc

Well, back on topic. Nice to have an update ED. While I wouldn't call "We haven't completely messed up our schedule" good news, the absence of bad news is good enough for now. Seems like my estimate of max 1000 units in December wasn't that far off. I still have some hope left to receive my unit.

At least this one finally delivers :)

Plus this IS real tangible evidence of a purely Male godhead, Carlin (p.b.u.h) annecdote like "A pissed of temp staffer with a bad attitude", we'll have to look to Alanis for an intriguing and nice looking one, with the correct limb number and such like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

the first news... "well we don't actually have 2000 nubs like we said" and then an update "ok we really do have the 2000 nubs" that's why I said that

I don't literally believe in god but that's not a conversation for this forum

Could help pass the time at least!

Here's 10 god's of beer for example... http://socyberty.com/folklore/10-ancient-gods-of-beer/

and the earlier Egyptian version of the Greek god was responsible for healing properties of beer and beer bread, as the fermentation was growing tetracycline antibiotics into the soul brew and cheers to that and all that!

Last edited by a moderator:
We stopped production because of WiFi issues (wrong resistor).

We resumed.

We stopped production because of the nubs.

We resumed (and used tested nubs).

We stopped production because the tested nubs still weren't always good.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I didn't know (or have forgotten) that there was a hardware change for wifi.

So, good news! Better wifi! More boards! Today just got better ;)

funny that they can't get enough RAM chips for the pandora now. RAM (PC stuff) is really cheap now but i guess they must be limiting supply to make prices go up again.

funny that they can't get enough RAM chips for the pandora now. RAM (PC stuff) is really cheap now but i guess they must be limiting supply to make prices go up again.

Well, PC RAMs use different chips. We need PoP ones for the OMAP :)

About the nubs:
The rest are waiting for the PCBs. We hope to get a schedule for them soon.

i worry about the time to wait to get this schedule, the time announced by the schedule, and finally the time that will exceed the schedule date to really have a complete production.

This is good news :D

I am very much looking forward to using my Pandora with my University course on Games Programming :)

Was digging around my emails and I found this statement in them a little funny:

Ordering from Batch2 is the only way to be guaranteed of receiving a Pandora before Christmas.

Well, PC RAMs use different chips. We need PoP ones for the OMAP :)

I was wondering why you guys didn't decide to go with socketable RAM for this device... I think something like that would have been a great feature for the Pandora. I've been wondering for the past few days why you (OP) didn't decide to use socketable RAM. It's because you used OMAP? is there another sort of microprocessor you could have used to allow this feature? Had OP thought about it before deciding to go with the current design?

Back