Lemmingssdl (Networked)

If you pull this off the game will be amazing! I don't know if you've thought about it already but I think that instead of the zombies jumping out from a door they should crawl up from a grave.

RubiX said:
Game closing: Really not sure if its something maybe one of us pressed, possibly a key we are unaware of that immediately just closes the game(we get no error or anything) I'll try play around with it today incase it's something I was doing, no idea yet.

actually there is a key press 'x' that quits the game. I will take that or make it ctrl x maybe.

also its 'f' or F11 for fullscreen.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple thoughts:

I don't know about the Amiga version, or even the Lemmings 1 PC version, but I swear that some version I have played hd a fast forward button and a regular speed button. Definitely a useful feature.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the 'punch' wall diggers keep tunneling until they were through the wall, not stop after a couple digs? Sorta like how the pick-ax and ground diggers go until through?

Btw, thanks for all the work, very nostalgic.

BackAssward said:
A couple thoughts:

I don't know about the Amiga version, or even the Lemmings 1 PC version, but I swear that some version I have played hd a fast forward button and a regular speed button. Definitely a useful feature.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the 'punch' wall diggers keep tunneling until they were through the wall, not stop after a couple digs? Sorta like how the pick-ax and ground diggers go until through?

Btw, thanks for all the work, very nostalgic.

Yes, some versions like 'Lemmings 2 The Tribes' have a fast forward button, not the originals though (lemmings / oh no more lemmings for Amiga)

Bashers looked fine to me, they keep going until copmletely through dirt or hitting a metal wall in the wall, though I did notice if you were bashing along where theres metal directly below your feet, the basher would stop, by hitting bits of pointing up metal that should not be there, this might be what you are seeing also. (For example, 2player level #3 'into the fray' bashing right through the bottom layer you will hit things that will stop your basher)

Another thing with metal I have found is that you can actually blow lemmings up and make it through the metal ( this was also something me and my brother did on 'into the fray' as we couldn't get some stuck lemmings to die to try finish that match.

Miner49: I think you were right with the x button, that must be how the game closed for us before, thanks for pointing that key out. Must have hit it accidently a couple times the other day then.

Is there an alternate method right now to just finish a 2player level, as the nuke feature is not added yet?
( example: 1 blocker is left on screen, but you have no bombs to kill him, so he is stuck) Pressing escape will drop the connection between the 2 computers networked.

Thanks.

Xenu said:
If you pull this off the game will be amazing! I don't know if you've thought about it already but I think that instead of the zombies jumping out from a door they should crawl up from a grave.

I like the idea but that would change an aspect of the 2 player game I think - I.E. one horrible tactic is to knock away the earth beneath the opposing lemmings entrance so they keep falling to their death.

It's worth keep in mind though.

BackAssward said:
Noticed this on the first fun level that uses 'em. I think it's a glitch on the map where the digger thinks its through the wall but on others it stops early when you start it too far back

Also .. no 'Oh no!' when the poor things go pop!
numbers '2' and '9' especially have some dirty pixels to the left :p
Can't check with UAE but I'm sure I remember the gates being shown on the thumbnail.
Can you pick which level to start? It's a pain
The exit on the first 'tame' level glitches (the one with barber poles)
The pick-axe lemmings don't leave a smooth hole-end (worse on left digging)

btw. if some of these seem picky .. it's because its such a good version and everything else is fantastic :D
Thanks for doing & sharing!

gp32rich said:
BackAssward said:
Noticed this on the first fun level that uses 'em. I think it's a glitch on the map where the digger thinks its through the wall but on others it stops early when you start it too far back

Can't check with UAE but I'm sure I remember the gates being shown on the thumbnail.

btw. if some of these seem picky .. it's because its such a good version and everything else is fantastic :D

No, I like picky! And no problem sharing :)

I'm making up a list of comments and have ticked a couple of so far, so please keep 'em coming.

I'm actually heading towards two seperate goals right now: 1) To reach (as close to) 100% amiga lem authenticity and 2) To allow skinning of all graphics (And sound)

I'm getting there and will need replacement graphics in about a week.

Miner49er said:
gp32rich said:
BackAssward said:

No, I like picky! And no problem sharing :)

I'm making up a list of comments and have ticked a couple of so far, so please keep 'em coming.

I'm actually heading towards two seperate goals right now: 1) To reach (as close to) 100% amiga lem authenticity and 2) To allow skinning of all graphics (And sound)

I'm getting there and will need replacement graphics in about a week.

How amazing is that, i won't have time to put anything up until next week.
This was meant to be. I'll use the sprite sheet that was posted here as a reference, so i'tll be pretty damn similar layout ( exept for the duplicates for opposite directions, i'm pretty sure its easy to just flip the damn thing in coding ).
Like i said, the zombies will only be a tad taller.

Mr.Gonzo said:
How amazing is that, i won't have time to put anything up until next week.
This was meant to be. I'll use the sprite sheet that was posted here as a reference, so i'tll be pretty damn similar layout ( exept for the duplicates for opposite directions, i'm pretty sure its easy to just flip the damn thing in coding ).
Like i said, the zombies will only be a tad taller.

Cool. I will use that sprite sheet too, so hopefully it will be a case of swapping over the file. I currently don't do any sprite flipping. I should do I suppose, to save a few Kb of disk space!

Don't forget that you can double the resolution of those sprites (if they are the same res. as mine ~8x8) as I zoom the entire game screen by 2.

@iprice: I don't seem to see any actual games on that link but hey, if you want to contribute to this you are more than welcome. Graphics, code or sound. For example. If we are going for the title 'Zomblings' (which I quite like) then we need a logo. In fact here's what I reckon we need to 'skin' it:

* A font
* Zomblings logo
* Sprites (Mr. Gonzo is doing this)
* Background tiles (Mr. Gonzo? but anyone can contribute to this I guess)
* Home (Entrance to lot's of 'survivers', grizzly but gripping!)
* Entrance (difficult as why would 'Zomblings' drop but they need to really...actually a Trap Door wouldn't be too silly would it?)
* Icons for each 'Action'
* Icons for 1 Player, 2 Player etc.

Now, with regards to the style I think we want apocalyptic, so old buildings, crashed cars, walls with 'Help Us' written on etc.
And of course we need lots of BLOOD!

Well, It's really up to you graphics guys as I WILL do the coding side.

Miner49er said:
I'll see if I can find a suitably licensed horror theme font.
* Zomblings logo
Probably should wait until we get the other graphics so we can match styles.
What size, and are we working from a standardized color pallete?
There are several differnt kinds in the original game, we could think of a few possibilities here. Like a Mall Entrance, MacBurgerBell, etc.
* Entrance (difficult as why would 'Zomblings' drop but they need to really...actually a Trap Door wouldn't be too silly would it?)
I don't see way a cemetery, morgue, or what have you wouldn't work too. So long as it's indestructable, and the player can't manipulate zomblings when they are rising from the grave.
What size?

mindlord said:
Miner49er said:
I'll see if I can find a suitably licensed horror theme font.

Nice one :)

* Zomblings logo
Probably should wait until we get the other graphics so we can match styles.
[/quote]

Makes sense.

What size, and are we working from a standardized color pallete?

Well, the original levels are 1600*200 (I think). These are made up of smaller images ranging in size from 'very small' to 112x56.
We aren't restricted in any way though but for a first bash how about we stick to the same? Perhaps double this all though, IF the sprites are to be doubled.

Not quite sure what you mean here. I've just been using png's as they come out of the GIMP.
I can't see the point in restricting to 256 colours?

There are several differnt kinds in the original game, we could think of a few possibilities here. Like a Mall Entrance, MacBurgerBell, etc.

I like your thinking here :)

I don't see way a cemetery, morgue, or what have you wouldn't work too. So long as it's indestructable, and the player can't manipulate zomblings when they are rising from the grave.

I do like the idea of rising from a grave - it could look really good. I just think that we at least need to accommodate for dropping into the game as (I reckon) it's integral to the game (the fact that knocking the floor away beneath the entrance can kill em). So, both would be good.

What size?

Each action icon is currently 32x45(?). So if we stick to the res. of 640x480 then that is what we need.

The other icons, 1 player/2 player etc. that's up to you really as long as the they can fit on 640x480 screen (along with logo and difficulty setting perhaps)

Miner49er said:
The turning around whilst building and hitting a blocker. I'm sure I've seen that happen on the Amiga but I'm not sure if happens exclusively (I will use uae to find out).

Builders turn around when they hit a blocker in Windows too - I've been a distinct fan of Lemmings for such a long time - with Pandora seemingly ever closer I recently reinstalling Lemmings For Windows to relieve some old fashioned fun, but of course it doesn't have network/multiplayer - so I'll have to go download yours! Many thanks for the effort :)

Monk said:
Miner49er said:
The turning around whilst building and hitting a blocker. I'm sure I've seen that happen on the Amiga but I'm not sure if happens exclusively (I will use uae to find out).

Builders turn around when they hit a blocker in Windows too - I've been a distinct fan of Lemmings for such a long time - with Pandora seemingly ever closer I recently reinstalling Lemmings For Windows to relieve some old fashioned fun, but of course it doesn't have network/multiplayer - so I'll have to go download yours! Many thanks for the effort :)

Well, If you hang on until tommorow I will have an improved version ready with some fixes suggested by forum members.
I'm really pleased with how it's coming along actually, it's getting even closer to the original.

Edit: What I meant regarding "not sure builders turn around exclusively", is that if you have a lemming trapped between two blockers, can the trapee escape by simply clicking build once? My hunch is he get's one chance to turn around and that's it. I shall make it my priority tonight to find out this one!

Edit: What I meant regarding "not sure builders turn around exclusively", is that if you have a lemming trapped between two blockers, can the trapee escape by simply clicking build once? My hunch is he get's one chance to turn around and that's it. I shall make it my priority tonight to find out this one!
[/quote]

If a lemming is stuck between 2 blockers, just clicking build only once, he will make it up and over both of them, turning around after each single brick is layed, once he is finally just over the top of one of those blockers heads, the rest of that bridge will finish pathing normally like a bridge should look (instead of a white column which you would see between the 2 blockers that were close together)

Looking forward to your updated release :)

RubiX said:

If a lemming is stuck between 2 blockers, just clicking build only once, he will make it up and over both of them, turning around after each single brick is layed, once he is finally just over the top of one of those blockers heads, the rest of that bridge will finish pathing normally like a bridge should look (instead of a white column which you would see between the 2 blockers that were close together)

Looking forward to your updated release :)
[/quote]

heh, I've implemented that now. I can't believe I missed that one! It's so obvious now I'm doing it. Cool. There is still a problem with the animation of the entrances but it doesn't affect gameplay.

I'm never sure what licenses are good for projects like this. But, here's a bitmapped font under Creative Commons.
This site has a bunch of True Type fonts that "You can use these fonts however you want, for anything you want to use them for, as long as you don't try to claim you made them."

Hope this helps, I'll keep digging if you need more.

I've put a new version up now. Here's what I fixed:

* Metal survives a blast
* Both players can elect a nuke in two player mode
* release rate 99 produces a 'snake'
* Building turn around when they hit a blocker
* Also Exits/Entrance show on thumbnail preview
* lots of other things...

I've also re-factored the code in order to make it easier to skin with zombies when they arrive.

I need to get some sort of server set up for multiplayer - to make it easier to find people.

Back