Lemmingssdl (Networked)

Mr.Gonzo said:
Miner49er said:
Mr.Gonzo said:
grasshoppir said:
zomblings

ahah i love it

mindlord said:
Maybe instead of 'escaping' to the next level, the zombies could corner some victims and rip them to shreds. That would be different.

Mr.Gonzo said:
I could animate the Goal kinda thing too. Something like some buisness dude who gets covered by the Hungry fetuses and start bleeding like crazy.

So, Mr Gonzo are you up for drawing some ace sprites then?

Would you prefer to stick to the same basic size/animation as original or change size/frames etc.
I guess it partly depends on if we want to stick with the old-skool screen resolution? I like big and pixely but bear in mind currently we can can twice the resolution as I zoom the screen by a factor of 2 (the game's running at 640x480 whereas the amiga did 320x200).

Exciting times ahead!

Well it only depends on if you want to make something entirely new or just change *themes*.
If its the theme thing you want i could always just use my small pandas from panda wars, i think they are made pretty similar too the lemmings.

I love big minimalist but fluid pixels too! :)

Whatever is easiest really. I suppose that's a themes idea isn't it? So let's try your pandas for now but I want zombies :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
Miner49er said:
Mr.Gonzo said:
Miner49er said:
Mr.Gonzo said:
grasshoppir said:
zomblings

ahah i love it

mindlord said:
Maybe instead of 'escaping' to the next level, the zombies could corner some victims and rip them to shreds. That would be different.

Mr.Gonzo said:
I could animate the Goal kinda thing too. Something like some buisness dude who gets covered by the Hungry fetuses and start bleeding like crazy.

So, Mr Gonzo are you up for drawing some ace sprites then?

Would you prefer to stick to the same basic size/animation as original or change size/frames etc.
I guess it partly depends on if we want to stick with the old-skool screen resolution? I like big and pixely but bear in mind currently we can can twice the resolution as I zoom the screen by a factor of 2 (the game's running at 640x480 whereas the amiga did 320x200).

Exciting times ahead!

Well it only depends on if you want to make something entirely new or just change *themes*.
If its the theme thing you want i could always just use my small pandas from panda wars, i think they are made pretty similar too the lemmings.

I love big minimalist but fluid pixels too! :)

Whatever is easiest really. I suppose that's a themes idea isn't it? So let's try your pandas for now but I want zombies :-(

QUOTE OVARLOAAADDD

i could make some cool minimalist zombies, don't shed no teaaar. Even some nice sound effects.

Mr.Gonzo said:

QUOTE OVARLOAAADDD

i could make some cool minimalist zombies, don't shed no teaaar. Even some nice sound effects.
[/quote]

this sounds very good - let's stick on 'cool minimalist zombies'
whooeee, exciting :)

I was thinking and again, as much as it pains me to say (being a big Romero fan) that due to the fast pace of lemming do you think the fast type of zombies would be best. Sort of walking along quite fast, flaying their arms around? Climbing could look quite good.

Just a though, perhaps 'classic' zombies would be better...

The level designer is coming along - do you think placement of tiles should be pixel based or against a grid, if you what I mean?

Edit: 28 Days Later as opposed to Dawn of the Dead (original)

@Miner49er
I like slow Zombies. I had a vision of some zomblings dragging a lame leg, others with a missing arm. Sure it would take different animation sets for the different gimped zomblings, but it would sure spice up the scene.

For the purposes of a Lemmings Clone, Pixel based placement seems appropriate.

I wonder how a zombie would fall like a lemming with an umbrella though. Maybe they could still just fall, but instead of squishing on the ground, they fall down to just rise again after an amount of time to equal the umbrella fall?

@Mr. Gonzo
I'm pretty good with Photoshop. I used to make pixel art for my (never seen by anyone) games when I was a teen. I guess it really depends on the backgrounds that need made. Photorealism is not really my bag.

mindlord said:
@Miner49er
I like slow Zombies. I had a vision of some zomblings dragging a lame leg, others with a missing arm. Sure it would take different animation sets for the different gimped zomblings, but it would sure spice up the scene.

I wonder how a zombie would fall like a lemming with an umbrella though. Maybe they could still just fall, but instead of squishing on the ground, they fall down to just rise again after an amount of time to equal the umbrella fall?

Love these ideas. Agreed on slow zombies, I prefer them as well and you paint an effective scene in my mind!

I like the rise-again/brolly idea as well, falling with a good thud to the ground!

I've seperated some of the code needed for this as well.

Miner49er said:
mindlord said:
@Miner49er

Love these ideas. Agreed on slow zombies, I prefer them as well and you paint an effective scene in my mind!

I like the rise-again/brolly idea as well, falling with a good thud to the ground!

I've seperated some of the code needed for this as well.

ahah for the stair maker i was thinking of having the zombie rip bones from his back and place em in front of him.
I love the idea of replacing the parachute too. Pretty humoristic.

The game should start with just a few zombies... and trough the levels add more and more. Since we're not doing the fetus idea anymore. The goal should be a door to a crowded place, once you start to get zombies in you hear people screaming and getting killed and such.

The zombie that blocks the way should die doing so. So we don't have to kill them after. He could just rip off his head and stand there.

omg
I only just saw this Lemmings DSL remake after seeing the link on the pandora forums.
This is truly the most amazing thing for me in a long long time.

Me and my brother have always been addicts with lemmings. The year we got an amiga for xmas with Lemmings was definitely a most memorable period of my life, I think it was around 1992 or so, playing lemmings on 2 player mode is fantastic, and no one until now has been able to replicate the feel of it, but you have! Well done!!

Amiga version ruled all!

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou !

Is the networked mode allready working? If so, you might want to set up a chat room somewhere to find other players and share ip adresses. Just a thought.

Oh and i allready tried it when you first put it online, was meaning to make a comment, but then i got hooked by lemmings and forgot ;) And as far as i can remember, it plays exactly like the original, my compliments!! should be much fun on the Pandora.

Cheers!!

MarkoeZ

We can play on our home network, but yet. If WAN is working, i'd love to start playing some games with people.
Is there a gp32x / pandora type IRC room on a server yet?
If not.. Lets get it started.

Thanks.

RubiX said:
We can play on our home network, but yet. If WAN is working, i'd love to start playing some games with people.
Is there a gp32x / pandora type IRC room on a server yet?
If not.. Lets get it started.

Thanks.

@RubiX: My initial thought for this was a very simple idea, where the server sends an (any) http request to a website. The website stores their IP. Then the client can call the same website to get a list of who is hosting. It's not a proper game server i.e. doesn't handle the actual game data just the list of IP addresses. The web site could also periodically check the list to see if they have refreshed in the last 30 seconds or something, if not then remove from the list. Anyone can set this up...hint hint :)

@MarkoeZ: Yes, lan play is working, I've yet to try it over the internet but would love to know if it works! I'm glad you like. I loved Lemmigns two player on the amiga as well, it was one of the best 2 players (if not THE best) on the Amiga - mind you, there was some tough competition, SWIV, bubble bobble, parasol stars, Super Cars, Nitro, Rodland...)

@Mr.Gonzo: I love the ideas except I think the blocker behaviour should stay faithful to the original - I.E. they are able to become unblocked if some one digs underneath them. This can be quite a useful tactic in two player mode especially.

I also think the nuke effect could be quite funny - we could have bits of arms and legs flying out and even drop to the ground and stick there, becoming part of the scenery.

I really LOVE that zombies idea! It will add some originality to the game and provides some good possibilities for variety and funny graphics.
I remember playing the original Lemming like 15 years ago, will be great to play it again on the Pandora :)

Keep up the good work!

Well, just finished a crazy night of lemmings multiplayer with my brother back at his house, we used that free
'Hamachi' program to create a virtual network, and did it over the internet! There's one way to make it work :)

Couple things. (This is based on the Windows release, havent tried your linux version yet)
(I know you havent tested over internet, but heres some info) Theres a bit of mouse latency for both players in 2 player mode over the net, but nothing to fuss over, it was totally playable for both of us still. When we played at the same house today through normal LAN, theres 0 mouselag.

Builders hitting blockers: That's a bug, the builder stops building once hitting a blocker. On the Amiga version( and all I believe) The builder should turn around once he hits a blocker and continue building up.

Nuke(2 player mode): when 2 ppl double click the nuke button at the same time, all lemmings will countdown on the original version. We tried everything to nuke all players ( talking on msn ) couldnt get them to die when we couldnt do anything else, just ended up making paths for our remaining ones to die / solo blow them up.

Release rate 99: The lemmings should be so close that they look like a worm, you can see a gap between eachone like its on a 90 release rate.

Had a couple times the game just dissapeared and had to reload, not sure what's causing that, but still didn't bother us starting up the game and going at it again haha. It's hard not to laugh your ass off when your playing 2 player lemmings, brings back good memories :)

Im very glad that digging under a blocker to free him works flawlessy already, nice job!

Anyway, im just hoping to possibly catch some bugs that may not have been noticed or might need clarifying on, I dont know. You probably are completely aware of the things I mentioned, but just trying to add to your already fantastic remake!
I love it.

Thanks again.

Mr.Gonzo said:
*cough* http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51156-panda-wars/page__p__791846__hl__panda%20wars__fromsearch__1&#entry791846 *cough*

Wanna guess where I got the idea? :p

RubiX said:
Well, just finished a crazy night of lemmings multiplayer with my brother back at his house, we used that free
'Hamachi' program to create a virtual network, and did it over the internet! There's one way to make it work :)

Couple things. (This is based on the Windows release, havent tried your linux version yet)
(I know you havent tested over internet, but heres some info) Theres a bit of mouse latency for both players in 2 player mode over the net, but nothing to fuss over, it was totally playable for both of us still. When we played at the same house today through normal LAN, theres 0 mouselag.

Builders hitting blockers: That's a bug, the builder stops building once hitting a blocker. On the Amiga version( and all I believe) The builder should turn around once he hits a blocker and continue building up.

Nuke(2 player mode): when 2 ppl double click the nuke button at the same time, all lemmings will countdown on the original version. We tried everything to nuke all players ( talking on msn ) couldnt get them to die when we couldnt do anything else, just ended up making paths for our remaining ones to die / solo blow them up.

Release rate 99: The lemmings should be so close that they look like a worm, you can see a gap between eachone like its on a 90 release rate.

Had a couple times the game just dissapeared and had to reload, not sure what's causing that, but still didn't bother us starting up the game and going at it again haha. It's hard not to laugh your ass off when your playing 2 player lemmings, brings back good memories :)

Im very glad that digging under a blocker to free him works flawlessy already, nice job!

Anyway, im just hoping to possibly catch some bugs that may not have been noticed or might need clarifying on, I dont know. You probably are completely aware of the things I mentioned, but just trying to add to your already fantastic remake!
I love it.

Thanks again.

That's brilliant help Rubix, thanks. I'll try and fix those issues this weekend (annoyingly, can't tonight as I'm doing boring things in 'real life' :-(

The turning around whilst building and hitting a blocker. I'm sure I've seen that happen on the Amiga but I'm not sure if happens exclusively (I will use uae to find out). There are many glitches in the original lemmings that can be exploited especially in 2 player - and I want to replicate as many as possible.

I was aware of the 2 player nuke problem, shouldn't be a biggie to fix.

The random crashing issue sounds more serious though. How often did it happen? Did it happen in any pattern at all? Did the game just end or cause an exception?

And it actually works over the internet. Cool :) I wonder why 'Hamachi' (never heard of it before) was necessary? Does it route packets over port 80 by any chance? If so, then perhaps all that is needed is to open the right port (2001 i think - I don't really know much about internet play, what is the port that is used - for instance if I play Left 4 Dead, I don't have to open any ports...)

Yea, we tried just putting in the IP at first, and I set myself as DMZ host for a quick test, dropping all firewall to see if there was a port you had set for it to communicate on, but to no avail (realizing you have created it just for LAN play then)

But Hamachi is very unique in which it creates a virtual network , giving you what looks like a new connection adapter. Interesting when you go into CMD > ipconfig to see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi

So , knew this was going to work for lemmings, just like all games we play on a virtual network, but without it, it would seem you would need the game listening on a specific port. (Playing Left 4 dead doesnt require the server to have specific ports open to run? That is very interesting. Or it is communicating through a normally open port like 80 or something as you were saying)

I dont remember what port hamachi is using, but anyone who wants to play lemmings that way for now, it will work. Just quickly look up what port needs to be open and forward them.

As for the builders changing direction when hitting a blocker, it's a 100% guarantee what is supposed to happen (at least on the Amiga version guaranteed, I could never play lemmings on another platform as it just didn't have that perfect feel of the amiga) *but yours does*

Game closing: Really not sure if its something maybe one of us pressed, possibly a key we are unaware of that immediately just closes the game(we get no error or anything) I'll try play around with it today incase it's something I was doing, no idea yet.

[One other thing juuuuuuust incase you are interested to add in, Oh no more lemmings on the Amiga had its only 2 player levels also, but just 10 levels compared to the 20 levels that the original lemmings had. Just maybe worth mentioning as you incorporated on no more lemmings into your game.]

Thanks!

Back