Lemmingssdl (Networked)

Rotsiser Mho said:
Oh man, I LOVE Lemmings. Where did it go? Can anyone repost?
He's taken it down until he can cover himself legally (by renaming / adjusting artwork / whatever). It wouldn't be a good idea for anyone to rehost it right now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Miner49er said:
craigix said:
Just alter it to be Penguins or something like that.

Yeah, I might do that - trouble is, it would end up looking rubbish...

Well, I got my mate to adjust them to look a bit like zombies - but you could still tell they were Lemmings.

I would've thought it would only increase interest in the Lemmings 'franchise' and perhaps get people to buy the new and improved version. Maybe I'm being naive. Everyone wants to spoil your fun nowadays :-(

How about zombie pandas? :p

Gruntfuggly said:
Why couldn't it use themes - include a default theme of zombies, but have a separate 'original' theme available hosted elsewhere?

Yeah, this is a very good idea but may take a bit of time to implement if the graphics (animations) are very different - it was a bit of a hack using the original sprites. No, it's all doable and as soon as I get hold of some replacement sprites I'll sort it out!

I REALLY like the idea of Pandas though - that could look well cute!

In fact, any game involving Pandas would be pretty darn cool for the Pandora I reckon - the idea is you have to go and mate with other Pandas, perhaps [*I AM STUPID SPAMMER*] could be used as a 'bonus' or energy multiplier!

iprice said:
Gruso said:
Miner49er said:
[*I AM STUPID SPAMMER*]
Hehe, what word was that?

I wondered that too - the forum seems to accept many vulgarities without censorship.

Heheh! It was THE word that appears in spam emails a lot! Think about it - what would help Pandas 'in the bedroom'? Maybe I sound stupid but waaaay back in the 80's, there was a problem with Panda populations, because they weren't 'making out', so a nice little platform game where you control a Panda Bear and run about collecting V_I_A_G_R_A (little blue pill?), then a mate when you're suitably 'ready' could be quite amusing....but maybe a tad crude?

You know, I might be deluded here, but maybe you could take the game to the rights holders of Lemmings and suggest something could be done with it. Maybe as a paid for download game or something.

I dunno.

Miner49er said:
Gruntfuggly said:
Why couldn't it use themes - include a default theme of zombies, but have a separate 'original' theme available hosted elsewhere?

Yeah, this is a very good idea but may take a bit of time to implement if the graphics (animations) are very different - it was a bit of a hack using the original sprites. No, it's all doable and as soon as I get hold of some replacement sprites I'll sort it out!

I REALLY like the idea of Pandas though - that could look well cute!

In fact, any game involving Pandas would be pretty darn cool for the Pandora I reckon - the idea is you have to go and mate with other Pandas, perhaps [*I AM STUPID SPAMMER*] could be used as a 'bonus' or energy multiplier!

*cough* http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51156-panda-wars/page__p__791846__hl__panda%20wars__fromsearch__1&#entry791846 *cough*

Lemmings for the Nintendo DS, complete with source you say?

http://www.mrdictionary.net/lemmings/

RobertJ said:
Lemmings for the Nintendo DS, complete with source you say?

http://www.mrdictionary.net/lemmings/

Yes, I did mention I nabbed the level loading code from the DS version (with permission from the author!)

I only discovered the DS version way after I started coding - when I was looking for level data. I was quite prepared to work out how to rip the actual data from the Amiga disks, so was both dissapointed and happy when I discovered someone had already gone to the trouble.

I code for a living, so this was more of a personal challange rather than the most efficient implementation I.E. I chose not to directly port the DS version as I didn't see much enjoyment from that. I wanted to figure out the movement, actions etc. for myself. Over the months I have discovered several Lemmings conversion, including one that did the ONE thing that I thought was original; networked play! That annoyed me for a few seconds until I realised my goal wasn't to be original, it was simply a challenge - to see if I could do it.

Actually, maybe I should contact 'mr dictionary' again and see if he's suffered any hassle from the current lemmings 'owners'.

Maybe instead of 'escaping' to the next level, the zombies could corner some victims and rip them to shreds. That would be different.

I wouldn't worry too much about the original IP owners getting arsey about it. I'm no lawyer, but I imagine if it wasn't being sold they'd just send a C&D type letter. You could comply with their demands and pull down your site/downloads, then just use the engine for a new game or swap out all the artwork. People who had the original version would be free to distribute it amongst themselves :)

fishybawb said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the original IP owners getting arsey about it. I'm no lawyer, but I imagine if it wasn't being sold they'd just send a C&D type letter. You could comply with their demands and pull down your site/downloads, then just use the engine for a new game or swap out all the artwork. People who had the original version would be free to distribute it amongst themselves :)

Sod it then, I'll leave it up for a couple of days then whoever wants it can get it.

I will attempt to update the graphics anyway, well with some help from the lovely folk here!

@mindlord: I do like the sound of the alternative home, they could all gather around chewing on a corpse :). Done right, I.E. effective graphics Zomblings could be really good I reckon.

I'll start working on a level designer and stuff tonight (yep, friday night programming - that's having kids for you...)

grasshoppir said:
zomblings

ahah i love it

mindlord said:
Maybe instead of 'escaping' to the next level, the zombies could corner some victims and rip them to shreds. That would be different.

Mr.Gonzo said:
I could animate the Goal kinda thing too. Something like some buisness dude who gets covered by the Hungry fetuses and start bleeding like crazy.

Mr.Gonzo said:
grasshoppir said:
zomblings

ahah i love it

mindlord said:

Mr.Gonzo said:
I could animate the Goal kinda thing too. Something like some buisness dude who gets covered by the Hungry fetuses and start bleeding like crazy.

So, Mr Gonzo are you up for drawing some ace sprites then?

Would you prefer to stick to the same basic size/animation as original or change size/frames etc.
I guess it partly depends on if we want to stick with the old-skool screen resolution? I like big and pixely but bear in mind currently we can can twice the resolution as I zoom the screen by a factor of 2 (the game's running at 640x480 whereas the amiga did 320x200).

Exciting times ahead!

Miner49er said:
Mr.Gonzo said:
grasshoppir said:
zomblings

ahah i love it

mindlord said:

Mr.Gonzo said:

So, Mr Gonzo are you up for drawing some ace sprites then?

Would you prefer to stick to the same basic size/animation as original or change size/frames etc.
I guess it partly depends on if we want to stick with the old-skool screen resolution? I like big and pixely but bear in mind currently we can can twice the resolution as I zoom the screen by a factor of 2 (the game's running at 640x480 whereas the amiga did 320x200).

Exciting times ahead!

Well it only depends on if you want to make something entirely new or just change *themes*.
If its the theme thing you want i could always just use my small pandas from panda wars, i think they are made pretty similar too the lemmings.

I love big minimalist but fluid pixels too! :)

Back