*legal* Emulation Resources

Kicker said:
I'm amused to note that the snes2usb guy is currently suffering through manufacturing delays. Apparently, that's something that happens. :rolleyes:

Who?

Last edited by a moderator:
Matthias_H said:
Kicker said:
I'm amused to note that the snes2usb guy is currently suffering through manufacturing delays. Apparently, that's something that happens. :rolleyes:

Who?
I think he means you. But if I'm not mistaken, isn't your product currently shipping? Funny thing is that I just logged in to ask if anybody else was planning to buy your product.

Did anybody mention World of Spectrum yet? Chock full of speccy goodies (and even more baddies, as is the nature of these things) and as far as I remember, it is legally cleared.

Edit: Mostly cleared, and actively working on contacting the copyright owners of the few programs that still are not clear.

hedwards said:
But if I'm not mistaken, isn't your product currently shipping?
Of course it is, got a couple dozen more in stock. What's not shipping is the N64 plugin, but that's mostly because I'm not really driving it forward. Got a class to teach this semester, that's keeping me rather busy.

Matthias_H said:
Sorry for the spam, but here's another one on the snega2usb SNES USB reader. While I have no doubt this is all perfectly legal pretty much anywhere on this planet, Nintendo and Sega have their notorious armies of lawyers whose job consists in finding things they can use against projects like this one. Please join the legal brainstorming to help me make sure everything is absolutely airtight before the USB SNES reader becomes an ex-product :)

Cheers,
Matthias_H
In the US, it's somewhat questionable. The last case law on that which I am aware of is from back in the 80s when dumping cartridges was ruled to not be fair use on the basis that the cartridges last so long that backups aren't necessary. In this day and age, I don't think that decision would be made today, as all the consoles that were involved in that are no longer in production. As such, whether the cartridge itself can go bad or not, it's becoming more and more difficult to play those games legally without dumping them.

That being said, I bought my kit for dumping GBA roms from jandaman.com, which is local to my state, and he seems to still be in business selling them, so I'm guessing that as long as it's not being pushed for piracy you're almost certainly fine.

EDIT: Matthias, I just made my decision to buy. It'll be nice to not have to worry about ROM sites and getting investigated for downloading ROMS for carts I own. Legal or not, it's still a pain and possible expense.

hedwards said:
That being said, I bought my kit for dumping GBA roms from jandaman.com, which is local to my state, and he seems to still be in business selling them, so I'm guessing that as long as it's not being pushed for piracy you're almost certainly fine.

EDIT: Matthias, I just made my decision to buy. It'll be nice to not have to worry about ROM sites and getting investigated for downloading ROMS for carts I own. Legal or not, it's still a pain and possible expense.
Good choice :) Who knows how much longer I'm going to be in business, being the messy guy I am... ;-)

I really, really want a Retrode, but 75CAD seems a bit steep. I mean, it's probably worth it, same as the Pandora was worth it's high ticket price, but actually convincing myself to just buy the bloody thing doesn't seem to be working. Probably because you're actually shipping and there isn't the fear of missing out if I don't order RIGHT NOW! I'm glad you took my advice (or at least did it after I suggested it :p ) to add SRAM support.
Also the fact that I bought a fully working Genesis at a garage sale a couple weeks ago for $3, and my SNES from days gone by is still in functional condition aren't helping any.

WizardStan said:
I really, really want a Retrode, but 75CAD seems a bit steep. I mean, it's probably worth it, same as the Pandora was worth it's high ticket price, but actually convincing myself to just buy the bloody thing doesn't seem to be working. Probably because you're actually shipping and there isn't the fear of missing out if I don't order RIGHT NOW!
There's a second option: just convince LOTS of folks that they need to have a Retrode. Then it will soon sell out, but there will be a 2nd batch for sure (how could I resist?) :) With a bit of luck, that second batch could be a tad more affordable.

Matthias_H said:
Good choice :) Who knows how much longer I'm going to be in business, being the messy guy I am... ;-)
Eh, I wanted one, but missed the pre-order deadline. Then you were delayed, but now I've got my order in ad stone age gamers, so I should be set. I think it'll be well worth it. I know I've gotten use out of the reader I have for GBA carts.

hedwards said:
Matthias_H said:
Eh, I wanted one, but missed the pre-order deadline. Then you were delayed, but now I've got my order in ad stone age gamers, so I should be set. I think it'll be well worth it. I know I've gotten use out of the reader I have for GBA carts.
Ah yeah, the preordering. Turns out you were lucky, as the Euro was so much higher back then.

Right now, I only wish for a simple way to find out how many folks would in principle be interested in buying one. If I KNEW there was a market for 5kpcs worldwide, I would take the risk and have 5kpcs made, and they would cost less than half of the current price. But would there really be a market for 5kpcs if the price was half as high? Seems as if entrepreneurship always comes with a 90% bankruptcy risk :)

Matthias_H said:
hedwards said:
But if I'm not mistaken, isn't your product currently shipping?
Of course it is, got a couple dozen more in stock. What's not shipping is the N64 plugin, but that's mostly because I'm not really driving it forward. Got a class to teach this semester, that's keeping me rather busy.

Yes, yes, I'm an idiot, rub it in. :p

I guess I misunderstood the blog post I linked? It sounded as if there was unavoidable trouble, which confirmed my existing biases, so I couldn't help commenting on it.

Anyway, let me congratulate you for the cool project. I'd never heard of it before reading this SA thread yesterday.

Kicker said:
I guess I misunderstood the blog post I linked? It sounded as if there was unavoidable trouble, which confirmed my existing biases, so I couldn't help commenting on it.
No trouble whatsoever for the Retrode itself, just for the plug-in (and I wouldn't even call that trouble, just laziness :) ). For the core device I somehow managed to be surprisingly punctual, with the discrepancy between my prediction (end of December 09) and the real shipping date (Feb 10) actually being less than Two Months, and that is real months, not Pandora ones ;-)

Lafazar said:
The two first X-COM games are currently available from Steam, but I hope they will be added to GoG.com in the near future (this would have the advantage of no DRM compared to Steam):
X-COM: UFO Defense
X-COM: Terror From the Deep

Also on Steam is the id Super Pack which includes all the classic id Software games for which interpreters exist:
-Commander Keen
-Wolfenstein 3D & Spear of Destiny
-Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom
-Quake 1+2+3 + expansions (note: CD music is missing!)
-Heretic
-Hexen + Hexen 2 + expansions (note: CD music is missing!)
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/440/
I have the X-COM games from Steam. They ship DOSBOX -with- the game downloads. The original X-com 'find X word on page Y of the manual' has been removed from them. I don't see any DRM on them. I'm running them under DOSBOX on Ubuntu without issue. I'll test them on my Pandora shortly after it arrives. Whenever that might be. I'll have to look into that id Software classic pack. I owned most of those, but it may be easier to just DL them from Steam than to find the originals.

Grench said:
Lafazar said:
The two first X-COM games are currently available from Steam, but I hope they will be added to GoG.com in the near future (this would have the advantage of no DRM compared to Steam):
X-COM: UFO Defense
X-COM: Terror From the Deep

Also on Steam is the id Super Pack which includes all the classic id Software games for which interpreters exist:
-Commander Keen
-Wolfenstein 3D & Spear of Destiny
-Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom
-Quake 1+2+3 + expansions (note: CD music is missing!)
-Heretic
-Hexen + Hexen 2 + expansions (note: CD music is missing!)
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/440/
I have the X-COM games from Steam. They ship DOSBOX -with- the game downloads. The original X-com 'find X word on page Y of the manual' has been removed from them. I don't see any DRM on them. I'm running them under DOSBOX on Ubuntu without issue. I'll test them on my Pandora shortly after it arrives. Whenever that might be. I'll have to look into that id Software classic pack. I owned most of those, but it may be easier to just DL them from Steam than to find the originals.

I also purchased heretic and hexen from steam, wads are there like normal. I think skeezix bought quake 3 from there and it worked, so anything earlier should work.

I fully support Good Old Games, if only because they revived Interstate 76. (One of my all time favorite games. I wish it was open source so I could offer a bounty to have it ported to the Panda.)

There is also a great deal of awesome homebrew development happening for old consoles, especially the 2600. Unfortunately, the main source of homebrew ROMs also hosts a bunch of grey-area commercial ROMs so I won't link there. (You can Google "atari 2600 homebrew" for some great sites and resources.)

Another source of a few excellent games is Simon Quernhorst. (http://www.quernhorst.de/atari/) He's produced a number of excellent Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 games that are free to download. (I own one of the 50 actual cartridges he produced.)

This is a good source for Text Based (interactive fiction) games. There are a few commercial games on there too, so you need to check the license files included to make sure it is ok to use according to the law where you live.

http://www.ifarchive.org/

I forgot all about this thread. Bookmarked and it will take me a long time to go through those links in detail. Thanks Prometheus and other contributors!

Nekura said:
I fully support Good Old Games, if only because they revived Interstate 76. (One of my all time favorite games. I wish it was open source so I could offer a bounty to have it ported to the Panda.)

There is also a great deal of awesome homebrew development happening for old consoles, especially the 2600. Unfortunately, the main source of homebrew ROMs also hosts a bunch of grey-area commercial ROMs so I won't link there. (You can Google "atari 2600 homebrew" for some great sites and resources.)

Another source of a few excellent games is Simon Quernhorst. (http://www.quernhorst.de/atari/) He's produced a number of excellent Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 games that are free to download. (I own one of the 50 actual cartridges he produced.)

I agree wholeheartedly....especially regarding Interstate 76....woefully underrated game....

Nice thread Prometheus, I completely missed it and opened a thread asking for links to freeware games/ports so we sorta had the same idea. Thanks for all the links, can't wait to look through them for some new amiga/speccy action, this should be stickied somewhere I think. Cheers for all the extra links aswell people :)

Back