Lcd Screen? That Is Too Old-Tech For What The Pandora Can Do.

*JayFoxRox wonders how expensive Pandora 2 will be

- Manufactured in UK
- OLED screen or holo display
- ROI expected by the team
- Possibly assembled by assembly team

//Edit: Actually some of this does apply to "Batch 2" already.

I've got an Archos 605 which has the exact same screen as the Pandora will have, And I still love it because of the big screen and high resolution. Also the screen looks good on all of the videos, So all is fine in my opinion.

JayFoxRox said:
*JayFoxRox wonders how expensive Pandora 2 will be

- Manufactured in UK
- OLED screen or holo display
- ROI expected by the team
- Possibly assembled by assembly team

//Edit: Actually some of this does apply to "Batch 2" already.
OLED. Phh. As a proper emulation device the Pandora 2 will not have to rely on filters or similar tricks to get the look just right. Confirmed: The Pandora 2 will ship with a built-in CRT display.

Last edited by a moderator:
Text readability would be very important to me on this device, so if the choice were between a 800x480 OLED with PenTile hack and a respectable LCD with an actual 800x480 resolution, I'll take the LCD.

some complaints are about oled losing the quality of its blues, or burn-in. well, to begin with, LCD already looks worn out. it's got TOO MUCH blue from the day you buy it and too much ghosting. who wants ghosting when they play ikaruga or DoDonPachi? that could potentially negatively affect gameplay. but for everything else it just wont look as good. i've had a ds and psp and i feel like the resolution just dropped by 400% when things are in motion. i think OLED's blues and burn in problems should not be an issue for at least a few years of daily use, and giving you time to save up money and buy the next generation of a pandora, and that's assuming you play it so long every day that you end up dying like certain far eastern asian dudes that play MMO's to death.

I've had my i8910 for almost a year now and I haven't noticed anything even resembling burn-in. Also, if you have a black background with icons you'll use 10-20% LESS energy than a backlit LCD.

As for the blue phospher dying fast. I suppose that's a concern. I've been watching a good amount of video on my phone for awhile and I don't think I've seen any difference in the clarity and brightness of the screen.

Phawx said:
Also, if you have a black background with icons you'll use 10-20% LESS energy than a backlit LCD.
Ah, but if you have a white background, the energy consumption is the other way around, with LCD using less than the OLED. :)

@WizardStan

Sure. This is the case with LCD's. Technically, if you wanted the best battery life out of the Pandora, you should have a pretty heavy white theme.

OLEDs still have better refresh rate though. They weigh less as well. And are much more compact.

OLED IS KING!

Phawx said:
@WizardStan

Sure. This is the case with LCD's. Technically, if you wanted the best battery life out of the Pandora, you should have a pretty heavy white theme.

Not true - LCD power consumption is independent of the color, since the backlight stays at the same level regardless of color.

Tom` said:
Not true - LCD power consumption is independent of the color, since the backlight stays at the same level regardless of color.
Yes, but it takes energy to twitch the liquid crystal and block the light, which is why white is slightly more efficient than black for LCDs. It's not the 20% difference you see with light emitting tech like OLEDs or CRTs, but it's still measurable.

For those who really want a Pandora with an OLED screen, maybe you could do a hardware mod and replace the screen yourself. Though I wonder if it'll be easy/possible...

My psp 2000 ghosts like a fake episode of most haunted but in anycase some more feature rich emulators allow gama and backlight brightness adjustments and really make a world of difference ,also the psp psx games since later firmwares offer extra brightness control making many ps1 games on the psp now very playable as before it was a no go diablo would be a good example.

Ed's gama mod should make things much better for us all.

WizardStan said:
Tom` said:
Yes, but it takes energy to twitch the liquid crystal and block the light, which is why white is slightly more efficient than black for LCDs. It's not the 20% difference you see with light emitting tech like OLEDs or CRTs, but it's still measurable.
Wouldn't that depend on what color the pixels were to begin with? Also, wouldn't the backlight consume the vast majority of the power in any case? (I've heard from various people that either black or white was more efficient, but I would imagine that there is no statistically significant difference...)

@Tom

The backlight does consume most of the power on LCD. However, if you are to display a static black screen on LCD you need to constantly supply voltage to the entire LCD. That's why it takes less power to display a mostly white screen. White screen on LCD is uncoiled.

Not only might OLED not be feasible when it comes to pricing, but you have to consider that the Pandora project started years ago when OLED was probably even more expensive. It's a bit late to suddenly change to OLED so alte in the process just ebcause the prices might have changed a bit.

orthicviper said:
why couldnt they just go with OLED? i hear it has a response time that is vastly superior to LCD, and good black levels. sounds like it's the only the only true competitor display type that the CRT has yet seen (if size and weight weren't issues)! even the 2ms LCD's ghost too much for me. now i have to wait until they make an OLED pandora as i just cant stand regular LCD technology. now if this thing has like 120hz and blanks the screen after each frame, that might make it worthy as that'd probably get rid of ghosting.
hey why dont you go and make your own panda by yourself,

if your answer is because you cant, then you will answer your question by yourself long ago.

(i dont care if people feel this was a mean answer, but this topic is just trolling, its not like you're new and you get a change just because you suggested it)
OPT didnt waste 2 years to make such a change just because someone asked for it.

btw im mostly annoyed by the title of the topic.

Dragons_Slayer said:
For those who really want a Pandora with an OLED screen, maybe you could do a hardware mod and replace the screen yourself. Though I wonder if it'll be easy/possible...

+1
I thought that was the whole idea around an open "hackable" handheld. You want OLED? Add it!

Yeah, certainly ridiculous to consider changing now, but the idea of an update kit to OLED would be pretty slick, even if it's just some instructions and a list of parts you'd need to get a hold of (and perhaps information on obtaining those parts.).

Of course, all these screens could have completely different and bizarre pinouts and protocols making them completely incompatible and non-interchangeable. I don't really know much about that part.

DroneB Dev said:
orthicviper said:
why couldnt they just go with OLED? i hear it has a response time that is vastly superior to LCD, and good black levels. sounds like it's the only the only true competitor display type that the CRT has yet seen (if size and weight weren't issues)! even the 2ms LCD's ghost too much for me. now i have to wait until they make an OLED pandora as i just cant stand regular LCD technology. now if this thing has like 120hz and blanks the screen after each frame, that might make it worthy as that'd probably get rid of ghosting.
hey why dont you go and make your own panda by yourself,

if your answer is because you cant, then you will answer your question by yourself long ago.

(i dont care if people feel this was a mean answer, but this topic is just trolling, its not like you're new and you get a change just because you suggested it)
OPT didnt waste 2 years to make such a change just because someone asked for it.

btw im mostly annoyed by the title of the topic.

i fully agree with you. the way i posited my inquiry was too aggressive, immature, and entitled. for this i offer my sincerest apologies and wish all the best to the hard workers and dedicated team that made OP possible. i only wanted the best for this system. that is why i said lcd was too "old-tech" for what "it can do".

With that out of the way, I wonder (not seriously though since it'd be pointless to do so in my personal opinion), hypothetically, what kid of issues would one run into by trying to swap out the LED for an OLED screen assuming one could get there hands on one the same size. Would there be significant driver incompatibility? Gamma problems? Is burn-in really a problem with OLED? I'm thinking at the very least you need a new connector cable because I figure the cable would be different.

Back