Pandora Lcd Screen

DRED

Still Fresh
Was reading the wiki article and see the pandora has a response time of 30ms. I game on my computer and always get low response time monitors, 2ms gaming ones. I notice ghosting with 8ms+ monitors. I was wondering if the 30ms response time will be a problem with ghosting.

I know OLED monitors are costly and rare, but was it ever an option? I think most of us would easily pay the extra cost for an OLED monitor. Was a 2ms lcd even an option for that screen size?

The 30ms time is, if my memory serves me correctly, a time measured from pure white to pure black - or at least something in that vein. I'm sure someone with a better memory than I will clarify my hazy remarks on this matter. :p

As far as OLED goes, as far as I know, no it wasn't an option. I, personally, would not have been happy to pay extra for such a thing, though (I just prefer the way LCDs look, at this time :p). :lol: Again, though, I may well be mistaken.

These exact details are on pages 15 and 16 of the datasheet linked to in the wiki: http://beyondinfinite.com/lcd/Library/Toppoly/TD043MTEA2.pdf

OLED wasn't an option and probably still isn't, as far as I know there are no 4.3" 800x480 OLED screens.

I always heard that the Pandora screen is the same as the one used for the Archos 605, I have that device and I just love the screen, especially for watching movies. Just to check I played some fast fighting scenes on it and there doesn't seem to be any ghosting problem. I think it will be just fine.

DRED said:
Was reading the wiki article and see the pandora has a response time of 30ms. I game on my computer and always get low response time monitors, 2ms gaming ones. I notice ghosting with 8ms+ monitors. I was wondering if the 30ms response time will be a problem with ghosting.
You need to find the correct specification for your monitor (may be difficult unless checked by a review website), but there are lots of different ways of measuring response times on LCD monitors, and naturally, marketing people always go with whatever makes the monitor look the best to potential buyers.

I'm not saying you've been ripped off, what I'm saying is that the 30ms quoted for the Pandora is the actual time for a complete pixel change.

For example, Samsung have been known (don't know if they still do it) to quote times for "gray to gray" so they can quote lower values than they actually are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think pretty much every supplier quotes G-to-G these days, infact it's pretty much become the norm. That said, I'm curious what the GtG response time is like on the Pandora. 30ms does sound rather high by any standard...

2ms GtG is more like 12ms WtB.

Although technically every monitor has different capabilities. One may have a higher GtG and lower WtB, compared to one with a lower GtG. And there's no specific ratio of # GtG = # WtB.

I have an 8ms GtG and an 8ms WtB monitor. The GtG one has heavy ghosting, by my standards. (Many people don't complain :p I got it because of the reviews saying absolutely no ghosting) When loading a game, for example(fade-to-black on start), it's plainly visible for a short while that different parts of the screen have different brightness levels. As I type into this box, I see very bright white and light blue, dark navy buttons, and grey browser controls. If I were to start up a game, it'd take a few miliseconds for it to become uniformly black.

Edit -> A good way to test ghosting and colour-bleedthrough is to move coloured squares around on a black screen.

The 12ms WtB monitor is astounding. I think it has an S-IPS panel. It has a very beep black, and as soon as you enter a game the entire screen is dark. Viewing angles match a CRT. Expensive, though, and not very good build quality. (Had to RMA it when it started to "bleed")

Just rest assured that the Pandora LCD won't utterly blow, despite the 30 ms specs. ;)

Kramy said:
Edit -> A good way to test ghosting and colour-bleedthrough is to move coloured squares around on a black screen.

My monitor is fine doing this, virtually unnoticable, BUT, if I move a grey box around a different shade of grey backdrop then it's like watching the old "mousetrails" you could turn on, the box ghosts an insane amount.

Kramy said:
Just rest assured that the Pandora LCD won't utterly blow, despite the 30 ms specs. ;)

My main worry was A) the black levels, I'm used to laptops that have, well, awful black levels that are more silver than anything and make it hard to watch many movies and B) clarity. I looked up some Archos 605 reviews and they said the screen was a bit "hazy" and that the colours aren't great with very light grey 'blacks' :/

Kramy said:
My new favourite way of doing this is trying to play through the second level (the tropical-looking one) of the arcade version of Wonder Boy. :lol: It showed up some pretty bad ghosting on my otherwise-perfectly-viewable Acer Aspire One's screen the other day. The white clouds shouldn't leave gigantic trails on the bright blue sky, under ideal conditions. :p

I guess the options were limited for choosing a screen and that is understandable. OLED would obviously would have been the best choice due to the lower power requirements and the overall display quality and the fact that there would be no ghosting. A big selling point of the Wiz over the Dingoo is the OLED display, it is just far superior.

At 30ms, there will be ghosting, I see no way how there could not be ghosting. This is a problem with LCD and how they work.

It will come down to how sensitive you are and the applications you are using. Most probably won't notice. The more hard core gamers like myself may notice more.
Being that the screen is small, it may even be less noticable than on a big monitor. However, like people said above, old console games are very good at showing ghosting on the monitor. I remember this because I used to play roms years ago on older LCD screens and I really noticed the ghosting in those roms than anything else I did on the monitor.

We will have to see the final reviews. I'm not trying to put down the pandora, just offering my opinion about its screen from the knowlege I have of LCD monitors.

I have a 605 on hand (same screen), and it runs flash 9 swfs, so I grabbed the swf from this ghosting test page: http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/testsoftware/schlieren2.html - and ran it.

Results? There is some ghosting with the red box, but it's minimal, not at all bad for an application designed to highlight ghosting. There is little to no visible ghosting on the word PRAD.

At a reasonable playing distance, I feel comfortable saying that only the most eagle-eyed user will see anything and then only with very fast action.

MWeston said:
(30ms) is total response for a pixel to go from black to white and then to black again. The response time for the pixel to just change color is 15ms, the PSP was between 40 and 50ms.

I'm sure there are more recent posts than this one, but this is what I found anyway.

oh man, the ghosting on the PSP is just ridonkulous, yet people still buy that system... The PSP 1 ghosts so bad it gives me headaches. Are the newer revisions better?
Oh and Gruso, thx for the link. I was going to say that but without a link, so no one would have believed me :)

DRED said:
I guess the options were limited for choosing a screen and that is understandable. OLED would obviously would have been the best choice due to the lower power requirements and the overall display quality and the fact that there would be no ghosting. A big selling point of the Wiz over the Dingoo is the OLED display, it is just far superior.

OLED would be nice... but only when it's viable. OLED at the moment is very expensive, often broken (look at the amount of people with Wiz screens that are slowly/quickly dying), and hard to source 4.3" 800x480 versions.

Question to MWeston and Co: How hard would it be to replace the Pandora's screen with an OLED version when they mature enough to be worth while? (assuming it's within the next few years). I'd buy that as an upgrade kit if you guys made one...

Enverex said:
DRED said:

OLED would be nice... but only when it's viable. OLED at the moment is very expensive, often broken (look at the amount of people with Wiz screens that are slowly/quickly dying), and hard to source 4.3" 800x480 versions.

Question to MWeston and Co: How hard would it be to replace the Pandora's screen with an OLED version when they mature enough to be worth while? (assuming it's within the next few years). I'd buy that as an upgrade kit if you guys made one...

meh, if it is going to take a few years to mature, i'd rather wait for the theoretical Pandora 2, which will most likely have amoled.

The LCD is one of the best on the market, and there isn't currently an OLED solution, there probably will be in 18months time but it will be expensive. Much more expensive than a 800*480 LCD (which is in itself very expensive anyway).

We are just sort of at the limit of the technology with what we have, a high resolution LCD at 800*480.

30 ms is the standard LCD response time.
all the LCDs I tried down to so called "8ms" would still mix 2 frames if you'd flicker them at 60Hz (60Hz/2 = 30Hz = 33.333ms)

so they're all pretty much stuck on 30ms true response time.

don't worry that's just 2 frames at 60Hz, as long as it doesn't go above this you wont get apparent ghosting.
30Hz flickering sprites in games will look somewhat 50% transparent which often makes it look better than on CRTs (at least its less epilepsy-inducing)

besides, just look at the videos and see for yourself, you can even see clear video shearing in some places so the response is pretty fast.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_tearing

otherwise you'd see 2 or more frames blended together by the LCD (or camera).

i find static-image color reproduction much more important that ghosting. in this regard, most handhelds have been a wreck.

maybe the best portable screen i've had was the psp1k's - slow as molasses but quite reasonable tone reproduction.

here's a site where one can check some of the parameters of their handheld's color reproduction (link to portables version):
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/small

darkblu said:
maybe the best portable screen i've had was the psp1k's - slow as molasses but quite reasonable tone reproduction.

Archos 605 is probably far superior. Can't say as I don't own either, but based on the reputations of both... probably. :)

Back