Lcd Screen? That Is Too Old-Tech For What The Pandora Can Do.

I agree. Holo projector is a must. We can not dabble in such small minded designs now can we?

realjdpgs4.png
thrown in for good measure

cragix, you know (a very select few) are behind this project no matter how long it waits. So you could scrap the first batch and go for holo projectors as suggested.

Forgot to mention, I like the earlier mention of nuclear powered handhelds. Hopefully the radiation emitted will be tolerable for the length that the battery lasts.

This is not two years ago, this is not "with the current moulds", this is about an answer that implies the technology isn't out. It is.

I'm certainly not suggesting OP should be or even is capable of using OLED right now. I wish people weren't so damned defensive on these boards.

Exophase said:
This is not two years ago, this is not "with the current moulds", this is about an answer that implies the technology isn't out. It is.

I'm certainly not suggesting OP should be or even is capable of using OLED right now. I wish people weren't so damned defensive on these boards.

Well, the problem is: It might be available at 4", but I also haven't seen a single one which is 4,3".
So the only way to use an OLED at the moment would be creating a new mould (unless you want a big wide open area around the display ;)

So yes: There is no (suitable) solution currently available.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Well, the problem is: It might be available at 4", but I also haven't seen a single one which is 4,3".
So the only way to use an OLED at the moment would be creating a new mould (unless you want a big wide open area around the display ;)

So yes: There is no (suitable) solution currently available.

No offense but I have this feeling we're not quite on the same wavelength ;p

Maybe it'd be more constructive for me to say that I think craigix should have responded with that instead of saying "there is no OLED solution currently available."

This probably won't sound very soncere but I responded the way I did because I didn't want to see this thread get dragged out in the way it pretty much has anyway. Because the question was "why couldn't they go with OLED" and the real answer why they couldn't is that it wasn't available when the Pandora was designed (I know we all know the Pandora was designed a long time ago now but that's not something someone knew will immediately know) and it's far too late to change things now, and OP would likely not have access to the screens. These are all things that someone really could not know and probably aren't things very easily answered by searching.

Now, why OP might not want OLED if hypothetically have been given the option is another matter altogether, worthy of indicating. Same with explaining the deal with Nexus One's screen - which is more "because the most feasible option sucks" than "there's nothing out there." Not that it would have been obvious that Google/HTC were basically falsely advertising the thing. Good points of discussion though.

I'm just saying, it was too open ended. I really didn't need to have anything explained to me personally (least of all with sarcasm).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love a super AMOLED display in the pandora. In fact it's on my definite 'DO WANT' list.
However, can you actually provide a realistic quote, or even find a company willing to actually sell you a super AMOLED screen at around 4.3" (little above or little below is fine), with a resolution of 800x480 full pixels?

EDIT: by realistic quote I meant a price that isn't ridiculously high

The only amoled screen I found was 4.3" 480x272 and cost ~140£/unit.
Conclusion : no amoled screen in pandora for a while.

Samsung is the best maker of AMOLEDs right now it would seem, all current 4.3" AMOLED displays are 480x272 and several yaers old. I guess a request from OP to change their fab lines and manufacture 10-20k unites of 4.3" wouldn't go down well, so it would seem that until Samsung decides to make *and* sell it OEM, or the rest of the market catches up, it wouldn't happen.

That said, there are new 4.3" 800x480 LCD screens. The HTC EVO 4G has one: http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/htc-evo-4g-is-sprints-android-powered-knight-in-superphone-armo/ and it's gorgeous

anyway I'dd much prefer a good lcd. than an experimental OLED screen that do not exist in any other device...

Elwing said:
anyway I'dd much prefer a good lcd. than an experimental OLED screen that do not exist in any other device...
Did you ever see OLED next to LCD with your own eyes? I have and LCD, even a good LCD, is not even close to being in the same league as OLED. The contrast, colours and response time are so much better. I'll take OLED over LCD any day!

And I just hate backlight, it's evil...

Zotty said:
Elwing said:
Did you ever see OLED next to LCD with your own eyes? I have and LCD, even a good LCD, is not even close to being in the same league as OLED. The contrast, colours and response time are so much better. I'll take OLED over LCD any day!

And I just hate backlight, it's evil...

hum, and what about screen burn-in, blue color problem and power consumption? that seems enough possible disadvantage to avoid using an unknown new and untested OLED screen...

I'm happy about the display not being OLED-based. The main advantage of OLED is that it looks better, which fades over time along with the blue emitters. Yes, there are OLED with blue emitters that last about as long as LCDs - in a laboratory, not yet market-ready. And even those have the problem of the blue emitters fading much faster than the others, causing me to have to readjust the color balance occasionally as the display becomes orange-biased.

I'd like my Pandora to last as long as possible without replacement parts and without me having to worry about shifting color bias or burn-in.

If you want superior display technology wait two or three years and demand QD or TMOS.

Valid points, there's no denying that. But how long does is take for the blue to become unusable? Longer or shorter than the expected lifetime of the device (under normal conditions)? And how noticeable is it compared to fading CCFL backlight (haven't got LED, so can't comment on that (yet))?

Also what is unusable? For example I frequently read this forum, mail, check the news, and so on on my iPod when I'm in bed ready to sleep. There simply is no way any usable contrast/colour is left on the screen. The viewing angle is no help and the backlight gives it a grey floodlight look.

As with a lot of things it depends on what you're planning to do with it (although that subtlety was missing in my previous post ;))

The Pandora is an open handheld ,we are all together in an open community and once we have our Pandora it will be easy to swap out any part of the internal hardware besides the actual board ,the Pandora was built this way in the first place so when you want a new display and there is one available then i don't see any problem,heck OPT may be the ones to supply this new hardware at some point in the future ,just remember the psp and all the mods done on it and it's not as open yet there are psp's out there with touch screen displays so go fucking figure it out.

Ohh and stop with the shit at OPT you payed in advance for something that has now passed the design phase and like Craig says there is still no solution for a better display at this time,you can't change the goalposts just becase you feel like it.Look just remember what the Pandora is ,it's not the perfect in every detail portable handheld that some may wish for but it's an amazing breakthrough standing miles apart from the junk big companies will sell you time and time again.

Zotty said:
Valid points, there's no denying that. But how long does is take for the blue to become unusable? Longer or shorter than the expected lifetime of the device (under normal conditions)? And how noticeable is it compared to fading CCFL backlight (haven't got LED, so can't comment on that (yet))?

Also what is unusable? For example I frequently read this forum, mail, check the news, and so on on my iPod when I'm in bed ready to sleep. There simply is no way any usable contrast/colour is left on the screen. The viewing angle is no help and the backlight gives it a grey floodlight look.

As with a lot of things it depends on what you're planning to do with it (although that subtlety was missing in my previous post ;) )

All true. However I think that you may have missed the point.
The whole advantage of OLED screens is that they look better than LCD ones. Why then would you want to switch to it when the contrast and colour are off?

If you can live without an excellent picture (like me about 90% of the time with handheld devices) then the LCD should be good enough. If you can't (and this is purely hypothetical; I'm not implying that this is an option), then you will end up at the point where you consider your OLED screen "unusable".

OP have spent a long...long time making the best of what technology is openly availiabe for a realistic price.
Everyone who has seen one in the wild said its fantastic as it is. I think we will already be getting something better than what we originally payed for.

OLED for Pandora 2!!! (lets just pray we get our Pandora 1`s)

Whatever the complaints levelled at the, perfectly adequate IMO, LCD are, I'm 100% sure that it's going to kick the ass of the old 14", parents hand-me-down, wood panelled crt tv that I used to play all of the games that I will be playing on my Pandora with.

Back