I Hope The Gp2x Wiz Will Not Kill The Pandora. What Do You Think ?

I see the Wiz as a GP2X but better; (faster, 3D, smaller, LiION, OLED, etc).

The Pandora seems to be a hybrid UMPC/GP2X, more feature filled but also more expensive.

The problem for the Wiz is that devs will favor the Pandora as a friendly and powerful development system.

The problem for Pandora is the hobbyist consumer will favor the Wiz for its low price.

I mostly count along the lines of console generations. wiz==PS1 fullspeed, pandora==n64. Just adding n64 is a big meh for me, which while nice, is not that groundbreaking. The overall experience might still be quite a bit better with pandora if it supports over-the-air upgrades/apt and then theres all the home computers that'll work...

But all that remains to be seen, wiz'll be in the stores sooner so I'll be able to get one and it looks like a fairly good deal on top of that, even if it is 'only' gp2x++.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Please stop comparing them and accept we now have two new open source consoles with different goals available to us.
...with WIZ's goal to Rule, and pandora's goal to repent...

Last edited by a moderator:
quasist said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
Please stop comparing them and accept we now have two new open source consoles with different goals available to us.
...with WIZ's goal to Rule, and pandora's goal to repent...

repent for GPH's past injustices, by bringing us an amazing handheld?

Personally, I'll be getting the Wiz, mainly because i don't have much use for the Pandora's extra features.
However, If I didn't have a laptop for the internet, I would be buying the Pandora.
But before I place any orders, I plan on finding out more about the emulation development thats going to go into each of them. :D

Honestly, I think it's out of the question that the Wiz and the Pandora will eat each other's lunch.

For myself, I just have to go quickly through a list of things I can do or cannot do with a Wiz compared to a Pandora.

Both will let me play ScummVM adventures with a stylus.
Both will let me play homebrew software of the kind already running on my GP2X.
Both will emulate the usual suspects in the gaming console arena nicely.

The Wiz can do Flash games. okay. (I personally don't care)

But:

Pandora will let me use ZX Spectrum/C64/Amiga emulators the proper way (with keyboard) for the first time.
Pandora will let me log into the net and post unnecessary comments on the GP32X forums.
Pandora will let me enjoy car racing and flight simulation programs, which need analog controls.
Pandora will hook up to my BT headset for SIP telephony or my cell phone for photo downloads.
Pandora will allow me to do serious kernel hacking, because it is really community oriented.
Pandora will allow me to pack a complete audio studio into my pocket (provided an external hard drive, perhaps), including DJ software, multitrack recording, and so on, because it will get a proper packaging system.

At least for me, this is the list of things I like doing most on any computer, and the Pandora delivers. The Wiz just doesn't have the necessary hardware features. Period.

The Wiz remains to be a very nicely designed GP2X successor, but comes nowhere near Pandora.

Just my 2 Cents.

jake37 said:
Pandora will allow me to do serious kernel hacking, because it is really community oriented.
That is a pretty wan justification. Are you saying we don't do 'serious' kernel hacking for Open2x? Are you saying we are 'amateurs' somehow, not worthy of credit?

Orkie said:
jake37 said:
That is a pretty wan justification. Are you saying we don't do 'serious' kernel hacking for Open2x? Are you saying we are 'amateurs' somehow, not worthy of credit?

Ooops, I just notice how careful one must be with one's wording around these parts. This wasn't meant as an offence by any means. I apologize.

Just strike out "serious". And strike out the second part of the statement entirely.

What I meant to point out is that after looking into the source packages for the kernel on GP2X and owning an F200 which makes USB IP connectivity impossible, I find it a bit hard to get into kernel hacking on the GP2X-F200. Compared to that, I expect the Pandora to be much more experimentation friendly.

It's a pity that you brush over my post by pointing out one of the weakest arguments. I should've left that one out, I see...

Back