Release Kodi (a.k.a XBMC)

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Kodi (formerly known as XBMC), the Media Center.

preview3.png

The Software is fully functionnal, works with 3D acceleration, and is usable on CC, Rebirth and Gigahertz (of course, it feels more snappy on Gigahertz model, but it's usable on the whole range of Pandora without Swapfile).

A word of warning if you want to try to Stream things: the internal Wifi doesn't seems to be good at that, and a Wifi dongle is strongly advised.

(to get both Music Visualizer, you will need to enable them in Setup/Add-ons/My Addons/All first)

History log
========

Build 15
-----------

• Updated to 18.2
  • Added Spectrum and Waveform Music Visualizer
Build 14
-----------

• Updated to 17.6
  • Added IPTV Simple PVR AddOn.
Build 13
-----------

• Fixed an old bug with missing ASS subtitles
Build 12
-----------

• Updated to 17.3
Build 11
-----------

• Updated to 17.1
Build 10
-----------

• Updated to 16.1
  • Added shadertoy visualizer and screensaver
Build 09
-----------

• Updated to 16.0
Build 08
-----------

• Updated to 15.2
Build 07
-----------

• Updated to 15.1
Build 06
-----------

• Updated to 15.0
Build 05
-----------

• Updated to 14.2
Build 04
-----------

• Added some libs (fixing streaming)
Build 03
-----------

• New name, it's now called Kodi
  • Using v14.0 Helix stable code base
  • Integrated python updated to 2.7.8
Build 02
-----------

• Using v13.0 Gotham stable code base
  • Fixed Touchscreen drift
Build 01
-----------

• Initial build.
  • Embeded a curtom version of Python.

Note that some Plugin are "incompatible" (don't know why yet), and a few may crash xbmc.

XBMC is Featured on Pandoralive: http://pandoralive.info/?p=3287 :)

Here are the sources diff: pandora.tar.gz. It's a diff to be applied on the latest git sources (with patch -p1 <pandora.diff) and 2 sources files. Just expand the archive in your root xbmc sources so they just go to the right place. After that, use "--with-platform=openpandora" in your ./configure, along with the other flags you want.

Attachments

• pandora.tar.gz
    8.4 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Whoa Betty!!

So I have xbmc running on my pi, my mk802iv stick and now my Pandora..

Well, I will once I get home and install it :)

Superb work again :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"3D accelerated user interface" ... so if I'm concerned about battery-life while listening to music this is probably not the .PND I am looking for?

This is the first time I hear about XMBC, from the descriptions here I can't really see what its strong points are ...

I figure streaming audio and video (but only if you have a Wifi-Dongle) would be the main reason to get it?

"3D accelerated user interface" ... so if I'm concerned about battery-life while listening to music this is probably not the .PND I am looking for?

This is the first time I hear about XMBC, from the descriptions here I can't really see what its strong points are ...

I figure streaming audio and video (but only if you have a Wifi-Dongle) would be the main reason to get it?
It a "Media Center", not just a player. So an Integrated All-in-One experience, like you can find on "Smart TV". It is not really a competitor to DeadBeeF of Audacity. Watch the video from Ekianjo and you'll see by yourself (or just download it).

nice :)  ...interface feels a bit 'sticky' on rebirth though..(and there is a touchscreen offset)

In combination with a plugin that can be used to start executables, xbmc could have the potential of a Minimenu replacement - but with the overhead it produces this is probably more interesting for the Pyra...

Really, you have never heard of XBMC before ? *shock*

It's a media center and you can basically use it in coordination with your TV to have a very nice frontend to listen to both local audio and video files as well as online, streaming resources, without having to launch tons of separate applications. On top of that, it fetches artworks for your CDs/movies, to make the interface more like eye candy :) There are tons of plugins to view videos from different websites directly from the XBMC interface, which makes XBMC super practical to use (and skip ads). 

Plus, you can connect external controllers to it and use remote controls to pilot XBMC from the remote (and potentially even your phone). 

XBMC is huge - it's almost like an full OS replacement in itself. 

X Box Media Centre named as such because it started out life on the original Xbox console :)

Last edited by a moderator:
..(and there is a touchscreen offset)
Ah, in fact, I think I know what's going on. I use SDL and Hide the mouse, so the mouse is in "grab mode" by default, and that is not compatible with Touchscreen. I'll try to correct that in next release, there is no need with XBMC for grab mode, and that should correct the drift when going on the borders.

This is fantastic!  Is there a way to launch PND within it?  If so, this can be used to replace MiniMenu altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used XBMC on the bus to work this morning and people was like "Wow!  I want that!" :D

I would love this to be the alternate desktop for Pyra :)

This is fantastic! Is there a way to launch PND within it? If so, this can be used to replace MiniMenu altogether.
I believe XBMC stays open in the background if you launch anything from it so it's not a good idea to launch a pnd on top of XBMC - the Pandora has limits :p
On my pi I use a different runlevel to shutdown xbmc and launch another framebuffer application. But not sure that this will wotk with angstrom.

It will be slow at best. ;)

So, I have fixed the Touchscreen drift (with export SDL_MOUSE_RELATIVE="0" in the launch script).

Also, I have looked at the "incompatible" plugin, and it seems that it is because the XBMC I compile is a v13 version, with the xbmc.python module that is only backward compatible with ABI v2.1, where the few addons I have looked needed ABI v2.0. Not much I can do. Wait until v13 is more mainstream and old plugin are migrated (to check that, find the sources and look at "addon.xml" file to see the dependencies).

Do you think it's worth to update the xbmc PND for only the Touchscreen drift (I have the PND ready, because I tested it, it's just not uploaded to the repo)?

Also, I have looked at the "incompatible" plugin, and it seems that it is because the XBMC I compile is a v13 version, with the xbmc.python module that is only backward compatible with ABI v2.1, where the few addons I have looked needed ABI v2.0. Not much I can do. Wait until v13 is more mainstream and old plugin are migrated (to check that, find the sources and look at "addon.xml" file to see the dependencies).
got it, so eventually most of these plugins will become compatible down the road:)

by the way, xbmc regularly notifies you that you are not running the latest version - is it because you are using a nightly build ?  

Back