Release Kodi (a.k.a XBMC)

Do you think it's worth to update the xbmc PND for only the Touchscreen drift (I have the PND ready, because I tested it, it's just not uploaded to the repo)?
You could give an interim pre script so there wont be huge download requierement.

Also congrat on this one ;)

Yes, that's true. I was thinking about that :)

On the other side, I have recompiled xbmc yesterday, after a git pull, so it doesn't ask for update (but not sure it will last long).

Good News,i tried some Videoplugins and they work with a Wlan Dongle on the Pandora fine.

Videodemonstration com next Day(in moment not much Time)

Very great Work :)

I dont use Touchscreen on Xmbc because Wireless Mouse on the Pandora and the Buildin Keyboards are good.

Interesting, I also tried some streaming (only SD-TV) via a plugin and I had a no problems at all with the built in WiFi

Do you think it's worth to update the xbmc PND for only the Touchscreen drift (I have the PND ready, because I tested it, it's just not uploaded to the repo)?
You could give an interim pre script so there wont be huge download requierement.

Also congrat on this one ;)

I think I'll do both: put a script in there and publish a full release.

Please can you add for us Pandora Users Options to activate/deactivate USB Host and Wlan?

I must end the Xbmc for activating Wlan or when i want to use a Stick.

I have my Pi setup as a main media centre on living room TV. Now I sometimes use Yatze remote to watch stuff on my phone in bed. My phone has a tiny screen - Pandora has bigger screen.

I watch some things using PLUM via DLNA but... PLUM doesn't like everything I throw at it... but yes I guess I could add the samba share of the pi.

I have my Pi setup as a main media centre on living room TV. Now I sometimes use Yatze remote to watch stuff on my phone in bed. My phone has a tiny screen - Pandora has bigger screen.

I watch some things using PLUM via DLNA but... PLUM doesn't like everything I throw at it... but yes I guess I could add the samba share of the pi.
It should autofind your DLNA server when going to Video/Files. If it's not the case, you can add it..

. I add my "Universal Media Server" at home (formely PS3 Media server) very easily.

preview2.png

And choose UPnP Devices, it should appears in the list.

Please can you add for us Pandora Users Options to activate/deactivate USB Host and Wlan?

I must end the Xbmc for activating Wlan or when i want to use a Stick.
Ah, ok. I have to write some Addons for that. Why not, but I have to learn how to do that first, and also get how it works on the Pandora. But I agree tha would be a good option.

I think there are only 2 Sh Files for that.
Maybe you can execute them simply with a Button or Option.

Another great Idea is that you can maybe bundle a XBMC Pandora Emu Edition with the Emu EX Emulators and others.
Emulator Frontends for Xbmc are out,it should be possible.

Xbmc takes shure lot of Memory in backround,then should not all Emulators work fine but the Most should be no Problem.

Was just an Idea ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can confirm that for standard definition streaming plugins, internal WiFi can be perfectly sufficient(for me at least). I have also tested 720p streaming over usb-ethernet and while the connection speed is fine, the Pandora does not seem to have the horsepower to decode the video. This is troublesome for some plugins, like The Daily Show, that do not seem to be able to switch off of 720p. *Insert obligatory comment about DSP accelerated video here*

Overall, amazing work here, ptitseb. 5 stars for an amazing port that opens many new possibilities for our system!

Wow, this looks really nice, I only just see this thread so will def d/l it later and check it out.

Any chance of PLEXBMC following do you think?

Great work on porting this. I've held off using my Pandora for a lot of media up until now but I think It's about time I bought a new SD card just for that purpose.

I was surprised that the iPlayer plugin worked but wasn't surprised that the Pandora wouldn't be able to play the video fast enough. Anyone know if we can get around this, or is it just a case of needing better video drivers?

Would XBMC benefit in anyway from using a completely stripped down version of Linux so you can boot straight into it from an SD card, or wouldn't it make much difference? anyone know?

Nice job anyway. There's tons of good reasons for using this over other players :)

EDIT: Tried it on 950Mhz with a 512Mb swap file, running from minimenu but still no joy. Must just be down to the graphic drivers so a leaner Linux install wouldn't help anyway. Shame you can't download the iPlayer programs from inside XBMC yet. Just have to try out the iPlayer downloader in the repo instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must just be down to the graphic drivers so a leaner Linux install wouldn't help anyway.
Not the graphic drivers at all, it's up to the codecs mainly. We don't have codecs which are optimized to use key hardware components like the DSP, so the Pandora has issues with large resolution videos and it's CPU bound.  

XBMC runs fine, but most plugin are target for HDready TV, so most streamed content are 1280x720 using H.264. That's a lot to decode (fully in the CPU+NEON) and to show (streaming the frames to GLES|2). So both CPU & GPU are limiting factor here.

That's a lot to decode (fully in the CPU+NEON)
Yeah for decoding that's where we could benefit from having the DSP on top of that, but we already know it's not going to be the case so CPU+NEON is not going to work well anyway for HD content especially in h264.

One option would be to fork the plugins and ensure they stream lower resolutions feeds (for those where it's possible but not an option currently). I'm going to write an article down the road about the current plugins that work well on the Pandora. There's already a lot I can use fine with the 1Ghz, but some are certainly not appropriate with HDready only outputs. .  

Back