Mupen64plus on OMAP4 - Pandaboard performance

alastor

Still Fresh
Hello guys. I am very pleased with the performance of Pandora software. I was able to get mupen64plus-arm + gles2n64 plugin working on my Pandabord Rev A2 ( OMAP4430 ) and, damn, it works better then I expected. Games just work, there are not so many glitches and the speed is awesome. Really enjoying Turok 2 again, as well as Star Fox 64 :D

A lot of thanks to OpenPandora team, developers, packagers, testers and others. The best thing is that the software created for Pandora will help Linux become more enjoyable on future OMAP platforms. ( After all you really can use OMAP3 staff on OMAP4 usually. Porting shouldn't be that hard I think :D )

Here is my blog wih my experience of mupen64plus on Pandaboard:

http://alastordmcblo...pandaboard.html

Devs really do surprise me.

EDIT: How did I end up posting in two sections ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job.

Reading the framerates you get out of it, it is not really faster than on pandora...

@Alerino

Ye, I know what you mean. And they ALWAYS have 0 boards in stock ! You need to place an order to get one. If I am correct, the processing of an order will take about 1 - 2 weeks now. Then they will send it. ( I got mine on the second try. The first order was canceled - waited 60 days. The second order I waited for about two months, setting backorder limit to 90 days. Both times I ordered my Pandaboard from DigiKey. )

@Prometheus

Ok. It happened so quickly after I posted ... Thanks

@mcobit

I agree. FPS reading is not very impressive. But the strange thing is that when I play I don't feel any slowdown in graphics ... those 12 FPS feel like all 24 or 30. ( I mean I would certainly notice if an actual FPS is < than 24, wouldn't I ? )

I will experiment a bit of course :D

You guys could certainly help me. Could someone answer some of these questions:

1) Do you use framebuffer option in mupen64plus ( framebuffer enable=1 in gles2n64.conf ) ? I don't. I mean I can't use it. If I enable it I get no error messages, just a black window. ( There is a game in background - CPU activity, I/O activity, sound, respond, etc )

2) Do you have "window enable x11=1" ? ( Probably not. I think because I have to use this my FPS goes down. If I minimize the window - the FPS goes up to 30. Any experts ? BTW the Xorg driver I am using is far from perfect. )

3) Do you have "window fullscreen=1" ?

4) What SDL library do you use: standard one without any OMAP staff or this one by Notaz http://notaz.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=sdl_omap.git ? ( I believe I am using standard one on Ubuntu. )

5) What does the actual scaling: DSS or PVR ? ( Should be DSS ? )

Thanks again

Back