It's the end of the nubs as we know them

What is wrong with having the Right Nub be left, right and middle click, then having Left Nub be mouse move?  I see that you all are trying to think of different ways to do things, but what is wrong with that? 

-Glyph Reader

What is wrong with having the Right Nub be left, right and middle click, then having Left Nub be mouse move?  I see that you all are trying to think of different ways to do things, but what is wrong with that? 

-Glyph Reader
2D scroll would be really nice.

-Glyph Reader
2D scroll would be really nice.
Edit:

What about making

LNub: Mouse

RNub-up+LNub: 2D scrolling

RNub-right: right click

RNub-left: left click

RNub-down: middle click

? :-D

Edit: Damn, that was supposed to be an edit, not two posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most things that use 2-D mouse scrolling,  The D-Pad with the arrow keys work fine just the same.. 

Well, with clickable nubs, the right nub would need to be left click and the left nub right-click - otherwise Drag and Drop or selecting stuff with a marquee frame would be impossible.

What if you want to drag with the right mouse button?
Then you dont have that problem. Left nub click is leftclick and right nub click is rightclick.

Mouse movement with left nub is a legacy option from the pandora.  It made sense there because then both dpad and mouse movement were on the left side, and you have buttoncluster and all mousebuttons on the right side.

-Glyph Reader
Aside from it not feeling right to me, there seem to be those who currently cannot use this because of a bad nub, and others who have had calibration issues from left "clicking".  Since that probably won't be an issue with the Pyra we are left with all of the people who just don't like using a nub for mouse buttons for whatever reason.  Also, scrolling is nice, but low on my list of preferences.

In the end, I think different people prefer different control schemes

Most things that use 2-D mouse scrolling,  The D-Pad with the arrow keys work fine just the same.. 
By that reasoning, why don't we skip the nubs completely and move the mouse cursor in nice discrete 10px steps with Meta+dpad or something like that? ;)

For some things, I like discrete navigation (arrow keys, pgup/pgdn home/end). For other things, I like continuous movement (left nub for movement, right nub for panning/camera movement/scrolling).

-Glyph Reader
Aside it not feeling right to me, there seem to be those who currently cannot use this because of a bad nub, and others who have had calibration issues from left "clicking".  Since that probably won't be an issue with the Pyra we are left with all of the people who just don't like using a nub for mouse buttons for whatever reason.  Also, scrolling is nice, but low on my list of preferences.
Mapping nub directions to mouse buttons has some downsides:

- impossible to left and right click simultaneously

- I always get confused between double click and middle click (one is up, the other is down, but intuition is not helping me to remember which one is which)

- I find it hard to do reliable dragging; it seems to be easier to accidentally "let go" of the mouse button hold if it's not a real button but a nub direction

- I sometimes accidentally produce a middle or double click instead of a left or right click, and the other way around. Could be a calibration issue, but still... there's no clear boundary between those four target areas, and I think the problem would persist even with a perfectly accurate nub. It's like the difference between physical keys and an on-screen touch keyboard: no physical boundaries between the different target areas.

Also it feels like a waste to have a nice continuous 2D input device (with many possible positions) and use it just for that. Better map continuous inputs to continuous outputs and discrete inputs to discrete outputs. This feels like using a big volume wheel just as an on-off switch, with only two meaningful positions.

as long as we can map the games that use the nub clicks to use other buttons, im fine with having nub clicks. but theyre utterly useless while gaming, especially when theyre used as a run button or something that has to be held down

I just use the stylus for clicking, most of the time. I have no issues with the nubs it's just easier for me to use the stylus for things (non gamer here)

Little late to the party, great updates btw! Sad to hear about the nub issue.

My little bro has quite a few DS's, but I don't know how well they work. He sure seems happy with them though ^_^

I would personally like to use a nub with click, just because I've become used to using the click as crouch and zoom or melee and such. But I would rather have a Hall Sensor nub instead.

I would personally like to use a nub with click, just because I've become used to using the click as crouch and zoom or melee and such. But I would rather have a Hall Sensor nub instead.
The two aren't mutually exclusive,  the nub being replaced was both,  so there's no reason to think it won't be possible to find such a replacement at this point.

- Neelix

3DS nubs are great to me, the problem on the 3DS is that they are extremely close to the side, making handling kind of awkward, but this problem would not happen on the pyra, so i'm all for it! :)

I know I am late to the discussion at this point. But after reading all of this, It had me thinking of an idea that could making going without clickable nubs less of a hassle. Yet still make it easy to unbind them to that use when other programs don't need that kind of input.

How about a dedicated button or switch to turn off/on the mouse controls? Kinda like the Analog button on the PS1/PS2 controller or the Wifi switch on the 3DS respectively. Anyways, have it integrated the the OS level so the switch between inputs would be as seamless as someone tapping a mute button on a keyboard.

As for clicking in this proposed idea of mine, you could either stick with the right nub for L/C/R click but lose scroll, have L/C/R click moved to face and/or shoulder buttons of your choice and keep the right nub for scrolling, or finally use only L/R click on the right nub and have center click bound to another button (likely shoulder) thus allowing you to use right stick Up/Down for scrolling.

I know it wouldn't be as good as having clickable nubs. But this would at least making switching in and out of mouse mode something that could be quickly done on the fly, while letting you chose how you want the mouse to work in the system settings or even during first system setup.

Got nubs today. Initial impression is that the small one is tiny, and the bigger one as expected. The bigger one chafers more, and is louder, feels less springy than the smaller one.

I prefer the force feedback on the bigger one, but the smaller overall, since it seems to be able to click at full extention, whereas the bigger nub cant.

Dragging while click works on the smaller one, but feels like im ruining the nub on the bigger one.

With smaller nubs there is room for two columns of keys in the middle of them, so that you can have

Select           Ctrl

Start              Alt

as dedicated buttons.  Also that is the orientation of start select found on classic controllers.

Edit: the click is also more treble and louder than the smaller one. Dont know what version i got though.

Mouse movement with left nub is a legacy option from the pandora.  It made sense there because then both dpad and mouse movement were on the left side, and you have buttoncluster and all mousebuttons on the right side.
The first thing I do when I reflash my Pandora is reset the nubs to left-buttons, right-movement. It's way more natural than having movement on the left. Especially in FPS games where you have movement on the DPad and looking on the nub.

D.

I never thought of that. It's brilliant! I've been using my Pandora wrong for so many years.

It would also make single hand mousing with the Pandora on a table a little easier, since everything would be together (edit: when using AB mouse).  I tried it that way, but I was so used to having mouse on left nub and scroll on right that it felt a bit backwards when using it in my hands.  Maybe I will play with it some more and see if it sticks.

The first thing I do when I reflash my Pandora is reset the nubs to left-buttons, right-movement. It's way more natural than having movement on the left. Especially in FPS games where you have movement on the DPad and looking on the nub.

D.
I do the same on my Pandora(s). I don't really like movement on Left, I strongly prefer movement on Right, FPS style.

Back