It's the end of the nubs as we know them

Got nubs today. Initial impression is that the small one is tiny, and the bigger one as expected. The bigger one chafers more, and is louder, feels less springy than the smaller one.

I prefer the force feedback on the bigger one, but the smaller overall, since it seems to be able to click at full extention, whereas the bigger nub cant.

Dragging while click works on the smaller one, but feels like im ruining the nub on the bigger one.

With smaller nubs there is room for two columns of keys in the middle of them, so that you can have

Select           Ctrl

Start              Alt

as dedicated buttons.  Also that is the orientation of start select found on classic controllers.

Edit: the click is also more treble and louder than the smaller one. Dont know what version i got though.
Perhaps the smaller ones would be best then?

Well, even if we use the smaller ones, case and keymat design as well as PCB design is basically finished.

There won't be any change in that area - only the movement will be a lot less with the smaller ones.

Today i noticed

the smaller nubs are also smaller profile, so they build less. More room for something soft atop the nub i guess.

The bigger nub top metal plate flexes while the smaller nub is more rigid.

...not sure if sarcasm...

D.
Not. When writing I try to make my sarcasm as obvious as possible for exactly this reason. If you aren't sure odds are that I'm being genuine.
Obvious sarcasm is obvious in this post. ;)  

Today i noticed

the smaller nubs are also smaller profile, so they build less. More room for something soft atop the nub i guess.

The bigger nub top metal plate flexes while the smaller nub is more rigid.
I can't tell which is better without being hands on, unless there is the potential for a mechanical issue.  I can't remember if ED said he tried both.  Do you think the smaller nub's lack of movement would be a problem with the wide range of games we will be playing?  I am pretty sure ED favored the larger ones for a valid reason.

Can the smaller nub be used as a drop-in replacement for the larger one (such as if someone wants the full range of movement while clicking)?

the middle traces are in the same center position. The four outer legs for fastening wont match, but i think those can be glued, if they arent for ground or something else.

frontsidenubs.jpgbacksidenubs.jpgscalenubspandora.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back