It's the end of the nubs as we know them

How durable are pointing sticks when quickly jerked around? How ergonomic are they in prolonged continuous use? Both of these are not issues when used like a desktop mouse, but consider using one as a controller for some game that functions like track&field :)
Some people do use laptop pointsticks for gaming. Also I think in terms of durability / mechanical strength, laptop components could perhaps be better than game handheld components. It also may be easier to replace (laptop parts are usually designed to be replaceable while game handheld parts are usually not).

The main question is how are the ergonomics, not just comfort but are they even properly usable at all when operated by a thumb instead of an index finger?

Do you know the reason for the EOL? Could there be some reliability/durability issue with the nubs that is the reason for swithing to  a smaller travel distance??
No, we don't know the reason. Especially as the smaller is still available. Note that it is not a new design or replacement. Both are available for the same time, but we did choose the bigger one initially.I don't think that there is any technical reason. It may be as simple as that they did count the number of projected orders in the last half year and did get 10% of orders for the bigger one than the smaller one.

Maybe they are used in some industrial control consoles. But we are a new customer and they usually base their decisions on the projections of older customers. And one customer may have ended his product.

So I would say: just bad luck that it did happen now before we have really ordered any to indicate that we really need them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anywhere the new and old hall sensor nubs can be ordered so we can try it?
Yes, Mouser has still 41 of them: 985-N50P105And the newer ones are: 985-N40P107

If you look into the data sheets, both the N50 and the N40 were started in 2011.

Even if Mouser declares the N40 as "New Product". IMHO it is new for Mouser...

The sensor chip is the AS5013. Since it just needs 3.3V and some I2C you can build your own prototypes.

Driver is here: http://git.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=pyra-kernel.git;a=blob;f=drivers/input/misc/as5013.c;h=9a4061a8a88c0bfe640b9560866572c3c544ca6c;hb=3.17.0

So the Circle Pad has recently (after the release of smashbros) been talked about multiple times because it tends to break, but thats the disk and not the base nub if im right?

Also if you would go with that option would it be possible to put a Pyra disk on my 3ds and vice versa?

I have two gamepads which feature clickable "numbs" (mini-joysticks, whatever you want to call it). I almost never use them for several reasons. So I would be perfectly fine without that feature.

Only important thing for me is that they have enough movement (so Solution #4 is out) and that they are very precise.

Having to design the mechanical part yourself may sound easy, but it can become a real nightmare in case something doesn't work out. So I guess unless they are willing to produce some on-demand hust for us the 3ds nubs are the best option.

I think we want something that uses the Hall effect, it would be less likely to wear out.

The clicking feature could be handy for odd things, but since it could only be used when centered, I feel like we can lose it.
2X

Better analog response over a broader distance from the nubs trumps the clicking.

Realistically, it sounds like the 3DS nubs are likely the best choice. They're a known quantity in performance. They will more or less 'never' go out of stock since there are so many in the wild.

The 3DS circle pad has a rubberised cover over a hard plastic disk.  On mine the cover stretched to the point where it would not stay attached.   Then I discovered that it worked a lot better without it anyway, so I just removed it altogether, and haven't missed it.

If we do end up with nubs that don't click then I nominate the two new gaming buttons as default mouse buttons.

- Neelix

IMO the choice should be taken according to tests of each nubs efficacy and comparison of their technology to determine their strenght, not according to the fear of being broken and the 4 years old choice of Nintendo.

IMO the choice should be taken according to tests of each nubs efficacy and comparison of their technology to determine their strenght, not according to the fear of being broken and the 4 years old choice of Nintendo.
It's still being used in the 3DS XL AFAIK and the 2ds.

I personally have no issues with the 3DS nub. And using it through a game like pokemon, it gets some abuse. Especially with two hundred hours of game play.

It's still being used in the 3DS XL AFAIK and the 2ds.
Maybe because they won't change the nub if it works for minor improvements, it is part of the identity of the console and as long as there isn't much complain they won't change it (well they could change only the sensor but for what purpose? you don't even need a too good sensor for games)... that doesn't mean that this is the best nub right now, maybe it is tho. But how could be no nubs with click and which use a similar technology (or better) to 3DS have been release? Since these years and given that you have in your possession several sample of nubs?

I believe that Nintendo didn't took a nub with click because of 2 reasons:

- they need to be centered to click which is useless on a strictly gaming device (no game would use it and every review would complain about that) but Pyra is also a computer and contrary to DS there is 2 nubs so when you move one you can click on the other.

- nubs which could fit the 3DS because you can click on where they are off-center are too weak, I can't imagine a nub you could click when off-center and which would be durable.

Back