its begun, first step to google games services and g+ integration

technically some nice ideas, but I don't want to make google the center of my universe!  any more than it already is, anyhow

Its creeps me out how Google wants to monitor not only my personal data, but also my health :(  

Quack!

logo_homepage.normal.v101.png

Its creeps me out how Google wants to monitor not only my personal data, but also my health :(
They're just trying to help the life insurance companies!

Well no really, I guess it's intended for exercise monitor apps.

I quite like google, but I feel android is a bit happy-go-lucky with sending my location to the home servers of various apps that don't need to know it.

Your phone carrier already know your location even if you don't have a smart phone :)

I am not a big fan of the conspiracy theories or anything like that, but the things are getting ridiculous with Google.

Your phone carrier already know your location even if you don't have a smart phone :)
How does THAT work ??

Oh, you mean if you have an ordinary cell phone ... yeah there is this thing called LOCINT (location intelligence) which tracks ALL cell phones ALL the time (when they are turned on) and records their movements forever based on relative signal strength with different base stations or some such magic.  Big brother is watching you.

People who use phones all the time are screwed anyway, with those inverse-square-power-density microwaves shooting point blank through their brains and reproductive organs.  And then they let their babies play with them.  Airplane mode should be called "don't nuke my baby mode".  And they think they are safe, because some "scientists" on the cell company payroll have not been able to prove that phones cause cancer yet, or rather have been able to twist their studies so they fail to reach a conclusion.

Hey I'm not waiting for you to prove that microwaving my head is dangerous, I've seen the scars IRL from the brain surgery where people got their tumors taken out.  Right where they hold the phone.  Anecdotal evidence?  but I don't have to prove anything.  Go ahead and prove that it's not dangerous, until then I'll be damn careful with cell phones.  OTOH not sure how I managed to survive all those thousands of hours getting X-rayed up close to cheap CRTs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Understand that i right?
Can this make more android Games working on the Pandora too?Higher Combatible?

OTOH not sure how I managed to survive all those thousands of hours getting X-rayed up close to cheap CRTs.
What makes you so sure you did? How do you know this isn't some tumour induced hallucination?

With the subtle difference that - at least around here - they are only allowed to use it to improve their services, while google can do as it chooses with the data it collects.

BTT: Nothing special, the usual pseudo innovations - but that's just from someone who never understood the benefits/satisfaction people get from achievements and leaderboards. It could have been interesting if they would give people the opportunity to choose were they want their data to be stored.

they are only allowed to use it to improve their services
Pfft, "allowed".I'm sorry, but google puts "yes, we're collecting data, but here's the ways we will use that data in your best interests" (with a lot more legalese words that stretch a few pages) into their EULA and people say "we don't trust you", but your cell phone carrier doesn't even want you to know that they can track your movement and you're just "that's cool, they wouldn't do anything wrong with the data".

That's quite a disconnect, isn't it?

living without a cellphone would be horrible... like unimaginably horrible (ya, I know, 1st world problem)

but you can boycott google all day and still be cool as their's alternatives to all their services

living without a cellphone would be horrible... like unimaginably horrible (ya, I know, 1st world problem)

living without a cellphone can be a pleasant relief!  (mine is not working right now and I don't miss it very much)

now if only I could live without internet too, for a while, I might get something done and experience real life for a bit

they are only allowed to use it to improve their services
They can also reveal the info to police with a warrant.  So as long as you trust the powers that be...  hahahaha  :/

It's very big brother.  However, it has also helped to catch actual offenders who richly deserved to be caught.

I don't know how many 'enemies of the state' have been quietly taken out by means of this in the US, I guess lots.

Let's just say that Julian Assange should avoid carrying a cell phone if he ever gets out in the wild again.

I wrote something about this LOCINT stuff a while back, might be a bit alarmist.

^ I agree.  Sometimes it's just another way to tag you or solicit funds...telemarketers are scum.  The scourge of the Earth.

..and you're also correct on the "tracking thing".  If you're "wanted", then don't carry around your own cell phone or allow youself to be tracked that way.  It's just common sense from a geek that doesn't break laws...

They can also reveal the info to police with a warrant. So as long as you trust the powers that be... hahahaha :/

It's very big brother. However, it has also helped to catch actual offenders who richly deserved to be caught.
Pfft, "allowed".

I'm sorry, but google puts "yes, we're collecting data, but here's the ways we will use that data in your best interests" (with a lot more legalese words that stretch a few pages) into their EULA and people say "we don't trust you", but your cell phone carrier doesn't even want you to know that they can track your movement and you're just "that's cool, they wouldn't do anything wrong with the data".

That's quite a disconnect, isn't it?

Hmm, I thought it is common knowledge that phone carriers can track your location if they need to - or if they are called by authorities to do so ?

Anyway in the end it is a matter of "trust" (well actually, it is more a matter of whom to less distrust), and I certainly take my bet on the one who has to oblige to more laws, because that is the only indicator I have to base a decision on.

Some small mistake in your "quotation": "yes, we're collecting data, but here's the ways we will use that data in our best interests"

No thank you. Google couldnt even make it work for their presentation.

That's just a law of nature - every new product presentation must have at least one embarrassing failure.  It's an aspect of Murphy's Law, not listed on that page.

Hmm, I thought it is common knowledge that phone carriers can track your location if they need to - or if they are called by authorities to do so ?

Yeah not only they can do it, indeed they do track EVERYONE's location to high precision ALL THE TIME (when phone is on),

and keep a RECORD of for years if not forever.  That's just the location side of it, there's more - of course.

It's not like tapping a suspect's phone or tracking his car while he is under investigation.  Everyone gets to be a suspect in advance.

This is all very well while the government might be all saintly and benevolent.

They can use it to find people who call the emergency number (they don't need to keep records for that).

They can use it to catch ignorant criminals.

If the government is not so friendly, or there is some corruption, they can use it to monitor normal people.

They can look for meetings, and identify new people who meet with "undesirables".

They can use it to find and take you.  For blackmail.  For drone strikes.

They justify this as a way to stop terrorism.  A better way to stop terrorism is for them to stop committing terrorism, and be friendly instead.

Anyway, forgot about this nonsense, and click the diamond below to win chocolate :)

Save energy and prevent tracking at the same time!

Leave your 'phone off ;)

My last sim got 'cut-off' for inactivity :(

Back