Release Sandora 0.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love these types of games. Powder Toy is one that I enjoy on my desktop.

EDIT: Source code avaiable, hint, hint.

anyway thanks for game.
I've looked at Powder Toy already, but I think it would be a bit too overkill for on the Pandora, especially seeing Sandora barely runs.
Barely runs? It runs fine! Although I can never remember what button is for what. Also, you should make pixel doubling optional. And an option to show the cursor would be a lovely addition, since I use an external mouse a lot. One last suggestion: Add the options to have particles wrap around, or build up, instead of simply falling off the screen.

Pixel doubling was mainly done out of necessity because of the poor performance it gave prior to doubling them. Options for cursor show/hide and particle wrap/build sound good, I'll add those for the next release.

Thanks for this! It has become my killer app for Pandora! :wub:

A few thoughts ...

Speed is fine right now! Before adding extras that may slow it down just 'throw' on a UI & us purists'll be happy ;)

I'd be more than happy with a quick 'this is what you've just selected' icon. Doesn't need much more right now.

Although differnt brush sizes would be great!!

For the future ...

I'd like to see some control over how aggressive reactions are, so:

how quickly: stove boils water, steam cools, plant burns, acid eats, ice melts, iron rusts

how much: salt dissolves, plant grows,

how long: embers last,

Ooh! And can we have a pause button to paint the scene before having it run?

This is a killer desktop toy. And I mean sat on the desk at work running merrily while I'm doing other stuff.

Thanks loads

Last edited by a moderator:
I love these types of games. Powder Toy is one that I enjoy on my desktop.

EDIT: Source code avaiable, hint, hint.

anyway thanks for game.
I've looked at Powder Toy already, but I think it would be a bit too overkill for on the Pandora, especially seeing Sandora barely runs.
Barely runs? It runs fine! Although I can never remember what button is for what. Also, you should make pixel doubling optional. And an option to show the cursor would be a lovely addition, since I use an external mouse a lot. One last suggestion: Add the options to have particles wrap around, or build up, instead of simply falling off the screen.

Pixel doubling was mainly done out of necessity because of the poor performance it gave prior to doubling them. Options for cursor show/hide and particle wrap/build sound good, I'll add those for the next release.
I can understand that. And thanks!

from http://mineth.net/

Sandora 0.2 features preview
* A graphical GUI for selecting particles (no more remembering keyboard shortcuts for particles, although particle selection through the keyboard will stay available). This will be a pop-up window on either side of the screen when holding the L or R button, allowing you to select a desired particle,
But please make sure to recognize L,R by keycodes, because I have assigned them to be left/right mouse buttons.
Also, would you please make that key to show/hide the menu - to be configurable?

* An option to not wrap particles on the screen edges, essentially meaning that the edges of the screen are solid walls and that particles won’t fall down off the screen,
or, that particles that touch the boundary will totally disappear.....

* Faster/more smooth leveling piles of water, meaning a pile of water will get flatter/more horizontal faster,
did you add the logic for discovering walls?

* An option to show (and hide) the mouse cursor, for those that use the nubs and/or an external mouse, instead of the touch screen,
this is great, even a small white cross could do.

* Several bug- and performance fixes.
:D

best of luck.

I have dig up my old software for CA simulations 2 . It is still compiling, and it works. But is way too slow for pandora. I made it too precise+physical. Lots of parameters for friction, viscosity, gravity, density, energy conservation, etc...

* Faster/more smooth leveling piles of water, meaning a pile of water will get flatter/more horizontal faster,
did you add the logic for discovering walls?
I was also thinking about a different approach - search horizontally, both to left and right, without the limit on a distance (or up to 10 or 20 cells horizontally) until an empty cell is found, or until a wall is found. By this approach water will get instantly flat.

But also when falling down, it will get flat first, instead of just fall down. So more searching for voids in layers below would be also necessary, that could slow down it all too much.

Are there any news about version? I really like this program! :)

Not yet, sorry. Flu's a b!tch, so there's still a few things left to do for 0.2. Currently working on incorporating the GUI for particle selection, the rest is pretty much done (although needs a bit more testing).

Fixing the segfault bug (drawing outside proportion) introduced another funny bug, which causes the palette to shift (making fire green, water orange, etc), so I'm looking into that issue, too.

I somehow watched a bit of "Cannonball Fever" (a.k.a Speed Zone) at the weekend, and there is a big Artic truck in it with the company "Sandora" emblazoned on the side...

Just thought you'd like to know.

Not yet, sorry. Flu's a b!tch, so there's still a few things left to do for 0.2. Currently working on incorporating the GUI for particle selection, the rest is pretty much done (although needs a bit more testing).

Fixing the segfault bug (drawing outside proportion) introduced another funny bug, which causes the palette to shift (making fire green, water orange, etc), so I'm looking into that issue, too.
Palette shift! Hey, you should totally make that an option in the final product!

Palette shift! Hey, you should totally make that an option in the final product!

Or not fix it and keep it in as easter egg.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature!" :p

Or not fix it and keep it in as easter egg.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature!" :p
That depends on how often it happens.

Someone actually mailed me the other day that he got Sandora working on a Nokia N900 (maemo5). That's pretty awesome, isn't it? :p He also said that he tried compiling Powder Toy, but that PT had very awful performance and Sandora ran fine.

Late answer, but it was me.

This is my thread on The Powder Toy -community forum about N900: http://powdertoy.co.uk/Discussions/Thread/View.html?Thread=3242 . And as I wrote there, 7 fps is way too low. There are now newer versions, but it seems to me they are not making it lighter at any way. But if you have Pandora cross compiler installed, just test it.

Sandora-0.1.1 is working very well on N900, only issue is about keymap: https://mynokiablog.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/n900-keyboard.jpg .Problems is that "1" and "W" are in same key, so Sandora can't (currently) make difference for them. SDL can handle this (somebody must just code it). But working GUI makes it obsolete anyway.

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been busy the past few months and my interests shifted around to other stuff.

I recently moved the project code from SourceForge to Google Code. Now to be found here: http://code.google.com/p/sandora/ . The project homepage is still on http://mineth.net/projects/sandora .

I've been working on a 0.1.2 version before 0.2 with N900 and N950 support. And I'm kinda hoping to release 0.2 before the year ends. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back