Is this a scam?

Is the Openpandorasales (a) gmail (.) com still the address used? I've been looking to cancel my order as well. I no longer have need or interest for the device. While I understand it may take some time to reply, its been over a month since I send the mail.

Indeed, it's a bit long.

But don't worry, the answer to the thread question is no, it's not a scam, so you'll get your money back.

Things are planned to move faster next month.

Also, there's plenty of good news in this recent newspost:

I'm sorry, but you cannot make the whole "Evil Dragon is not Craig" point and then expect us to be happy about how his store is going super well, since that's not gonna help the people who got stuck with the bad store in the least/

And about not being a scam, I would like that to be proven by actual behaviour: so far, it is just flat out lying to anyone who asks for their money back.

Any place with preorders is risky (Especially these days). If you don't recall the whole closure of several stores Game.AU and people's preorders being cancelled due to bankruptcy then you're doing the internet wrong.

However this is a community based project and is somewhat different. Its not trying to profit massively, its not employing anybody to do things and other companies are screwing them over with shitty parts (Original LCD Cable, CircuitCo and the Cracked case). The firmware you see is the mastery of community work and mashup which will gradually improve when we see some more developers who are willing to spend time looking at it and providing lots of feedback. There are quite a few current developers that hands down are making this work without pay; Notaz, Sebt3, Pickle, skeezix + _wb_ are some examples of developers who are capable of writing their own software (Don't be offended if your name is not here as I can't list everyone).

tl;dr No its not a scam.

On that case thing: I have a first batch(so says the label) that I got second hand. It came with some reinforcing having been done to the hind by the previous owner, 1 crack by the right speaker, & some rough bits on the edges where the two pieces of the case meet. I've dropped the thing 3 times since I've had it. It's still in just as about as good as shape as when I got it.

The only issue I have with the nubs is purely software. When an emulator messes up & crashes, it doesn't reset the control setup for them back to the mouse configuration. That takes like 5 seconds to go into the menu with the stylus or keyboard & redo those settings.

As a second hand owner though, I have no idea what sort of hell the others went through though. I don't know what y'all have been through, nor do I know what to say on that. What I do know is the one I've got came from the worst generation of Pandoras &, by the time it got to me, whatever serious problems it may have had were taken care of. The only issue I've had is that I had to fix the DC input jack twice and I'm holding off on putting it back together til I've found a way to secure that better. It's a pain, but no worse than the various laptops I've had to do that to for friends.

All in all. It's not a scam, because that's deliberate fraud for the sake of cheating people. Instead, it's an attempt at making something by people with the best of intentions, not enough business experience, and worse luck than someone personally cursed by God.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think an official reply would be nice here - have you tried chasing delivery people/ the post office about this?

surely there would be a record of such a thing being sent...?

No, I haven't, nor I think I could. I'm in the US, the cheque was mailed from the UK. If it had gotten here I would've received it a while ago.
hmmm does your bank support cashing a cheque denominated in pounds? I would check this before you have to have to figure out how to cash it.

scam, I like to think not. The way they put the original people who funded the development last makes it feel that way, but I expect that is more based on the only way they think they can dig themselves out of this and keep the company and product going.

Thinking about it, it's kinda like when I was delivery driver. When something went wrong, I, on rare occasions, had a choice either try to make it right with the store at the the cost of the others on the route or skip it & let them get their delivery on the next run for the day.

I chose the second option because it really came down to one person getting their stuff late or everyone getting their stuff late. It's unfortunate that the setbacks happen, but the key to damage control is to keep the damage to a minimum. It sucks, but it's understandable, too.

Back