Is Everything On Track For Early April Production?

benji_stein said:
@Mjlink
Of course not - if you're not using the dongle, you don't get the extra battery hit. So it would be more than 6, though it's not entirely clear how high it will be since, there hasn't been extensive testing
I think you misunderstood my ?.
Craig answered it for me, Thanks!

Peace & ganja food,

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
No surprise there,yet another deadline passed.
If they keep it up this way they will have a record in missing deadlines (winners in the end :D )

cixelsyd said:
No surprise there,yet another deadline passed.
If they keep it up this way they will have a record in missing deadlines (winners in the end :D )
No not deadlines but guesstimates but with appalling guess skills.

zipper posted on 29 March 2010 - 12:46 PM said:
One thing I can promise: If it REALLY turns out to be a hardware fault, you can be sure we'll either fix it for you or exchange your board for free as soon as we can afford it

He promised it. "or exchange your board for free"

Don't be a fan boy.

EvilDragon said:
I'll probably do video tomorrow showing you the small stick and some internet browsing :)
Exactly what we (I) need. It's like a drug :lol:

Sphinxter said:
You'll be glad they held up production If the wifi fix requires a change to the board design that alters it's dimensions and requires a matching alteration to the case mould. One never knows where this sort of problem may lead.
Wrong. WiFi only covers a small set of use cases for me, and a dongle is fine if I need it. In flight games and media, as an example. In that case I most definately want WiFi and BT disabled!

Assuming i will buy some other device with overlapping use-cases in 9-12 months (when they appear), less delay trumps more function for me.

EvilDragon said:
Yeah, actually the external dongle uses less power than the internal,it seems :)
Did you make a new test?
The latest numbers we have are 1950mW internal and 2100mW external.

mali said:
EvilDragon said:
Yeah, actually the external dongle uses less power than the internal,it seems :)
Did you make a new test?
The latest numbers we have are 1950mW internal and 2100mW external.

Yes, Michael did those tests with lowest brightness settng and I did use highest brightness setting :)

Last edited:
Wait, so the amount of power the internal WiFi NIC draws is dependent on how bright the display is? That's... odd.

So, at the moment, if you compare the internal WiFi module with the external stick:

Pros for the Stick:
* can do up to 150MBps (internal goes up to 54MBps)
* Does work already ;)
* Can be used on other devices (netbook, PC, etc.)
* uses less power than the internal WiFi module.

Cons for the Stick:
* Does stick out
* Uses the USB HOST port. If you want to plug in more things, you need to use a HUB or the mini USB OTG with an adaptor

Not too bad.

I'm glad that 6 hour figure is under full brightness setting. I was under the impression that we could get around 10hrs full load, I assumed that included Wifi too but that is on top of the power that's pulled by the SoC.

Thats means for my: I would take the Stick and the Pandora
And the Stick is realy better than the internal wifimodul?,

Thats Mysteriös.. :rolleyes:

I hope I'm not wrong here, but... I thought that power management for the Wifi chip was not-working/incomplete and that power usage was put on the back burner until the module actually functioned. I'm fairly certain that while the module is on it is burning 100% power at all times. Which explains why it drains the battery more than the USB stick. Given time, the module will beat out the USB stick, once the driver is fully optimized.

matzesu said:

The stick is faster, yep and needs less power ;)

Last edited:
matzesu said:

Thats Mysteriös.. :rolleyes:
I'd blame it on the drivers. Those internal chips can pull off some impressive power saving tricks when the driver is fully functional. I expect the internal module to outperform external solutions, but for now the figures are encouraging and the first 1000 should be quite happy, I think :)

edit:
Ninja'd by mindlord

mindlord said:
I hope I'm not wrong here, but... I thought that power management for the Wifi chip was not-working/incomplete and that power usage was put on the back burner until the module actually functioned. I'm fairly certain that while the module is on it is burning 100% power at all times. Which explains why it drains the battery more than the USB stick. Given time, the module will beat out the USB stick, once the driver is fully optimized.

Might be, though stick also does power saving. If you don't use it, it uses less power, too.
We just compared it while USING WiFi, and then the stick looks to be better at the moment.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
matzesu said:

The stick is faster, yep and needs less power ;)

All right, you make me belive its better ^_^

What are you guys gonna do next?

Back