Is Everything On Track For Early April Production?

emil10001 said:
Na-Noo said:
It's not always as simple as that. It could need a hardware fix. But fingers closed for software....

Right, but my question was hadn't they already tested the hardware to validate their design? I remember earlier iterations where nobody was really saying that wifi was a problem, aside from not having a decent front-end to manage it. I have followed the current situation, and I'm wondering:

a) if the dev team things that this is only a software issue, or if there might be hardware problems as well?
b ) if it is only a software issue, then why not just release it as-is and let us help fix the problem?
c) if it is possibly a hardware issue, where do you go from here? I am not really sure that I would feel comfortable accepting a device with a known hardware flaw that hampers core functionality of the device. I wouldn't have a problem with it being a software issue, but it's not exactly easy to roll-out a hardware patch a couple of months down the line.
d) if it is a hardware issue, why didn't we hear about this when the initial testing was done? IIRC, we were told that everything was good, and all that needed to be done was a front-end. (I realize that this was a few versions ago, but if the hardware works, then the hardware works, right?)

EDIT: @ED - that seems like a reasonable solution to me. I would be perfectly happy having the hardware in my hands plus the dongle and then getting it exchanged months or a year or so down the line when it gets worked out. I might even pay extra for it to be done sooner.
Sorry wasn't dismissing what you had to say.
It's amazing just how these things can 'slip' through.
I'll not even go into all the different gpu's that's been broken on hardware level. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
stepp said:
I sense a bit of dispair in EDs post, something is wrong hardware side i reckon, if thats the case i dont even want to guess how long before they revise and change the boards, 6 months?

Not despair...
It could be that someone has an idea which works after a good nights rest and it could also be that it takes quite a while to debug everything.
It's someting that cannot be known, and all we want is to be open about it and treat you fair.

Nothing seems to go right for this project.

I doubt it's much better for internal projects from big companies... but they most likely have more money to fix things faster and they don't need to tell anyone about it :)

Some might remember the GP2X F100 First Edition... a gaming console which had a flickering LCD, an almost unusable stick (which couldn't be fixed until they released a new version) and a headphone jack that broke when you touched it.
The Pandora is fully working: We got a complete gaming console with USB, working LCD, keyboard, cool DPad, Nubs, etc. Everything is working already. And as we want to give you working WiFi, we'll include a stick.
this convinces me,good post ed.I look forward to the official announcement on blog.When you have time. :)

That sounds great Ed, anyone here who would turn down there unit, and wait for a fix is bonkers.

A free dongle, and working WiFi, what's the problem?

Shipping in april sounds good to me, awaiting your full blog post, so I can get some more details. Thanks Again!

Chris

To be honest, I'd take my Pandora now if it meant no wifi on it ever ever ever. Dongle is seriously just fine, especially considering it's mostly likely a software issue.

Some might remember the GP2X F100 First Edition... a gaming console which had a flickering LCD, an almost unusable stick (which couldn't be fixed until they released a new version) and a headphone jack that broke when you touched it.
The Pandora is fully working: We got a complete gaming console with USB, working LCD, keyboard, cool DPad, Nubs, etc. Everything is working already. And as we want to give you working WiFi, we'll include a stick.

i remember it well, i still have my stock F100 here although i dont seem to have a flickery screen but i do have the rest and in all honesty if i am in the first 1000 i'm more than happy to buy a handful of mini usb wifi sticks and find out what works, what doesnt and think myself lucky that what really matters are the controls and the software and so what if i have a dongle that sticks out.

Alec  said:
We just wanted to make an offer that you can use WiFi right from the start, that's why we want to offer you a small WiFi dongle and your Pandora NOW.
So are you saying that if we choose to get the Pandora now, we will get a Pandora with a dongle, and if the problem was in hardware you will let us exchange the board (and the dongle?) for a new board?

Exactly. We sure hope it's not a hardware thing, as it would mean quite a lot of work and some more cost for us... but there's no need to let you all wait.
If it's really hardware thing, we have to fix those boards anyways - regardless if you have them or if they are still lying around in the MP facility... so no need to hold them back at all.
And if it's software, someone else might find a fix, so it might even speed things up.

So either way, it surely does make sense to me.

wrath of khan said:
Or you can get it right away including a dongle so you get a full functional Pandora including a minimal WiFi dongle which surely won't get in your way - starting delivery in April. And if there really is something wrong (as said, there's always a chance), we offer to fix it.
Will this be the first thousand preorderers only or including the other 3 thousand people who ordered.who get their pandora now

The hardware fix / exchange? Well, anyone who got a faulty Pandora from us will be valid for an exchange, that's for sure.
But as we are still working on finding a fix while the production and assembly continues, we sure hope we'll get a fix after the first 1000 have been delivered.

Last edited:
All the news are just so frustrating at the moment...

I am going to read this Forum again in 4 months, maybe then some happy people will exchange their experiences with the pandora and i finally get this feeling again (you know this feeling when craig posted his N64 on the pandora video).

No, I am not going to cancel my order (only if I really need the money to still make a living).

I hope the chinese arent going to rip you off... The wifi driver is the last thing that makes me worry about it.

So see you all again in 4 months with hopefully some good news.

EvilDragon said:
stepp said:
I sense a bit of dispair in EDs post, something is wrong hardware side i reckon, if thats the case i dont even want to guess how long before they revise and change the boards, 6 months?

Not despair...
It could be that someone has an idea which works after a good nights rest and it could also be that it takes quite a while to debug everything.
It's someting that cannot be known, and all we want is to be open about it and treat you fair.

Nothing seems to go right for this project.

I doubt it's much better for internal projects from big companies... but they most likely have more money to fix things faster and they don't need to tell anyone about it :)

please don't worry! that's about the right time to hand it over to the community and let us hack away.

and if it stays at 30 kbps, it will have much more of that really authentic retro feeling!

EvilDragon said:
Alec  said:
EvilDragon said:
We just wanted to make an offer that you can use WiFi right from the start, that's why we want to offer you a small WiFi dongle and your Pandora NOW.
So are you saying that if we choose to get the Pandora now, we will get a Pandora with a dongle, and if the problem was in hardware you will let us exchange the board (and the dongle?) for a new board?

Exactly. We sure hope it's not a hardware thing, as it would mean quite a lot of work and some more cost for us... but there's no need to let you all wait.
If it's really hardware thing, we have to fix those boards anyways - regardless if you have them or if they are still lying around in the MP facility... so no need to hold them back at all.
And if it's software, someone else might find a fix, so it might even speed things up.

That's great! Not sure why anyone would want to wait then :)

EvilDragon said:
Alec  said:

wrath of khan said:
Or you can get it right away including a dongle so you get a full functional Pandora including a minimal WiFi dongle which surely won't get in your way - starting delivery in April. And if there really is something wrong (as said, there's always a chance), we offer to fix it.
Will this be the first thousand preorderers only or including the other 3 thousand people who ordered.who get their pandora now

The hardware fix / exchange? Well, anyone who got a faulty Pandora from us will be valid for an exchange, that's for sure.
But as we are still working on finding a fix while the production and assembly continues, we sure hope we'll get a fix after the first 1000 have been delivered.
But being realistic, we all think it wont be fixed. You are already working on it for 6 months or so!!!

Speak for yourself, borgy. ;) I don't think that. They are a small team - there aren't as many eyes on the code right now.

(EDIT: To clarify, my thinking is: Whatever happens, happens. :p)

@ED / Craig

Your offer of a free WIFI Dongle & a replacement board if the problem can't be solved in software is fair and reasonable, it also shows a most excellent level of customer service.

I'm confused though, based on the above, why would anyone turn down an early model with sub standard wifi?

I guess it's nice to give the customers an option but what would you gain from waiting?

For what it's worth I'll happily take one with the dongle & assurance of a replacement if necessary (pretty sure I'm in the first 1000).

Mr Loon said:
@ED / Craig

Your offer of a free WIFI Dongle & a replacement board if the problem can't be solved in software is fair and reasonable, it also shows a most excellent level of customer service.

I'm confused though, based on the above, why would anyone turn down an early model with sub standard wifi?

I guess it's nice to give the customers an option but what would you gain from waiting?

For what it's worth I'll happily take one with the dongle & assurance of a replacement if necessary (pretty sure I'm in the first 1000).
Yep ive 2 on order,so id take one now,though i am in the 3000,s.Boo hoo

Prometheus said:
Speak for yourself, borgy. ;) I don't think that. They are a small team - there aren't as many eyes on the code right now.

(EDIT: To clarify, my thinking is: Whatever happens, happens. :p )
Im not saying they will never fix it. But in one month.....i dont think so, but would like it:)

Things are looking all good from where i'm stood, even though I'm not in the first 1000

far as I can work out, with the dongle you can connect to your router and have a good working connection, and even if during the time you [first 1000] have your pandoras, and the time OP post out the remaining 3000, OP get a fix, they will sort it out for you, so you don't even have to continue using a dongle from then o anyways... Seems a no brainer to me, take your pandora when offered!
[but if a 1000 or so of you don't, that's fine too, I might get an offer :) ]

cheers ED for the news, look forward to the future!

Your offer of a free WIFI Dongle & a replacement board if the problem can't be solved in software is fair and reasonable, it also shows a most excellent level of customer service

..this is what I was thinking, it's good cust serv. Rare these days eh

Ps

the clocks went forward but these boards ain't

borgqueenx said:
Prometheus said:

(EDIT: To clarify, my thinking is: Whatever happens, happens. :p )
Im not saying they will never fix it. But in one month.....i dont think so, but would like it:)
Once you have it in your hands, you would have the opportunity to fix it yourself, so how fast it happens would depend on you ;)

The dongle is small and doesn't even stick out that much. Just like my bluetooth dongle I have in my carpc. I know I'm in the first 1,000(I better be). I was planning on using bluetooth for internet connection to my mobile phone since the Pandora will always be with me. And when at home, I'll have it hooked up to wifi. Either way, I want mines.

Thanks for the news updates Michael and Craig.

Great news about the cases. A couple of extra days wait for improved cases is a pretty fair deal :D

Good idea about the first 1000 getting a free wifi dongle. As well as the reasons already mentioned; the sooner the first 1000 get out the door to customers and selected press, the sooner people will start to relax a little bit. The the reviews and videos that are released will keep people entertained for a while at least and let those who program get on with their projects.

I'm not worried :)

EDIT: Just make sure that people will know beforehand if they need to pay for shipping the unit back to you for replacing later.

Fzero said:
Ps

the clocks went forward but these boards ain't
You need to go and adjust it in your settings. Click on the little arrow next to your username in the upper right-hand corner of the form, and then click on My Settings - it's in there. ;)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
I'm not worried :)
Me either.
grin.gif

Attachments

• grin.gif
    grin.gif
    352 bytes · Views: 75
Back