Instant Pandora with a premium?

Saying "2 heads for 2 months" is somewhat of a straw man argument. They need 3 heads for a matter of weeks to make a difference. If they're getting £10 an hour over 3 weeks, for 8 hours a day, that's around £5000. Call it $15000, give or take. That's only 30 Pandoras.

So, what do you think the chances of selling 30 Pandoras in 3 weeks are?
I couldn't be bothered to collect the numbers from the thread and do the maths. I was thinking about $200 per unit, in terms of actually contributing to the overall pool, but it probably is cashflow that counts for the next couple of months.

30 in 3 weeks seems like quite a likely rate. A few more won't cause problems for batch 1. The ebay units ought to have given Craig an idea of the demand. Clearly if it goes mad, he needs to put the offer on hold or crank the price even higher. A transition from pre-order to buy-it now makes sense - the $500 can maybe come down in the future, maybe not.

Sorry 7 pages is a lot to read but would this mean batch 1'r will be pushed to batch 2? I know you keep saying "it will be faster" and it probable will for the majority, but what about the people at the end, when you will no longer have the current stock of hardware and we are waiting on 3rd parties once again.

I think it's a bit of a shame the price will go up. I'm estimating the conversion will bump the english price up to around £500 which is a bit sad really as had I not got a pandora for one of the refurbs I probably would never have got one given I had to reason myself to justify spending that much and waiting for a device.

I'm saving for a house and given that in England you now need £30k for a deposit alone I could never justify paying £500 on an electronic gaming thang.

Saying that you summed it up pretty well, increase the price or the project dies.

Whats more I think you'll find you're sales will rocket when you can buy a pandora and get it within a week. As a die hard fan of the project I only ordered in jan this year for batch 2 (now cancelled due to my lovely refurb unit) due to the fact money is simply not that disposable to me.

It's sad that it will cost more, but ultimately it has to be done. And hey more pandoras means better software and I might even get round to learning how to port games ;)

I've had an epiphany; I've been attaching too much emotion to this for various personal reasons. I know that Craig isn't an idiot, so if he thinks that this will be for the greater good then I'm happy to accept.

As a batch 1 customer @ 900-1000, I probably would not pay any extra because mine should be just around the corner anyway. However, I am for the idea, but I believe that the following really should be considered

* There should certainly be an option to move from the current queue to the 7-day orders (non-optional, will annoy a lot of people if this does not happen)

* The total cost of a preorder + moving to the new queue should be less than buying a new one in the 7-day queue, perhaps 1/2 to 2/3 of the difference. The reason for this is that these people could just as easily sit in the queue for nothing, and this should take some of the sting out of it.

* In production, priority should be given to the current preorders, before beginning work on the 7-day ones. e.g Mon-Thurs work on preorders, Fri work on 7-days'. This way you can GARUANTEE preorderers who do not want to pay extra will actually have their units sent before any preorders - thereby deflecting at least some of the fallout.

* The above point may necessitate placing a limit on the number of 7-day orders you take each week

* There was also the post earlier about just ebaying the odd unit every now and then - an intriguing optino if this plan does not go through.

All in all, a company must do what it has to to survive, and I know this is not a choice OP would make lightly. I, along with several other posters in this thread, will be donating some extra money when I recieve my unit regardless, assuming I like what I recieve.

One last thing: Negative press be damned. Sure, avoid it if possible, but in my personal experience people of your target market do a decent amount of research on their purchases, and are willing to pay extra for quality products or ones that better suit them.

i see the reasoning behind the positive and negative posts in this thread, and am also torn on the subject, all in all, im still for the community investment idea, even though it would be a hassle to set up legal wise. though i would also welcome the idea to get my pandora with one of the cases that fatih has made, i just dont know if another $150 is enough to convince me to buy a piece of plastic, no matter how much i stand behind this project. and i would still love to hear opinions on this new development from some of the other senior members like mweston, davec, skeezix, djwillis, etc...

I'm saving for a house and given that in England you now need £30k for a deposit alone I could never justify paying £500 on an electronic gaming thang.

you should look to move around a bit, 60k would buy you a nice 3 bedroom house within 30 minutes commuting of the city centre in "the north"

Another 'go for it' here. In theory I'm not so far from receiving my Pandora (~1250 in 'the queue') and I honestly couldn't care less about letting some high-payers in before me. I'm as impatient to get my Pandora as the next person, but ramping up the production process and, more importantly, the survival of the company, is way more important than being all fussy about someone 'queue jumping'.

you should look to move around a bit, 60k would buy you a nice 3 bedroom house within 30 minutes commuting of the city centre in "the north"

That's because no one wants to live there.....Supply and demand.

Alright just kidding. Nothing like a bit of north south divide banter. ;)

Edit: Typo

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a bit of a shame the price will go up. I'm estimating the conversion will bump the english price up to around £500

According to XE.com, $500 currently works out at £313.21. If that's exclusive of VAT, the extra 20% brings that to £375.85. So still a dent in your house-buying budget, but it could be worse. ;)

I live near Bristol and £30K would be an absolute minimum here too. You couldn't hope to get a nice 3 bed for less than £160k

I live near Bristol and £30K would be an absolute minimum here too. You couldn't hope to get a nice 3 bed for less than £160k
If you were to spend that 160K correctly, you could build your own little hut out of pandora units! Two birds with one stone, and all that.

I think some people like this.

I see that on ebay now there is a not perfect OpenPandora at 530$ and there are 3 days left for the auction, so 500$ is a possible price for some...

What you can do is to tell how much is the under cost, is 20$ or how much?

You can send a mail to all the customers about the subcost and if they want they can give the difference, this will speed up the shipment for all.

My OpenPandora is on the queue numbered around 950-1050.

For about 20$ I will do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow the timing is really spooky as I sent an email this morning re a second batch Pandora asking for the price and an idea of delivery date.

I too expect my 2 year 3 month wait to end very very soon. I am happy to pay more for the 2nd batch unit and I agree that delivery schedules are a major concern. My worry is that the level of Rapid Order sales exceeds expectations and then you have a dual delivery issue with customers waiting a year + and customers hammering at the door for delivery that should have taken place in 7 days.

I too work for an electronics manufacturer and have seen promises not fulfilled as sales promote and sell as they are paid to do. Only to find production cannot adapt that quickly with staff, supplies and testing and dispatch.

The Pandora is a unique item I think we all know that, but 7 day orders with more cash provide a very tempting target to the money men/business sense. If you are sure you can handle it go for it, just do not deliver my 7 day order before my 27 month old order.........pleeeeeese. :blink:

I think some people like this.

I see that on ebay now there is a not perfect OpenPandora at 530$ and there are 3 days left for the auction, so 500$ is a possible price for some...

What you can do is to tell how much is the under cost, is 20$ or how much?

You can send a mail to all the customers about the subcost and if they want they can give the difference, this will speed up the shipment for all.

For about 20$ I will do.
The question of donations has been raised many times and is valid, however from Craigs point of view it does not provide a long term solution. It would perhaps provide an immediate solution whilst new 7 day Pandora plans are finalised and more importantly stocked up for.

It means earlier delivery now. :) and more money later on for more ambitious plans.

That's because no one wants to live there.....Supply and demand.

Alright just kidding. Nothing like a bit of north south divide banter. ;)

Edit: Typo

indeed not, it's not my fault you dont like gravy on your chips!

*mumbles something about being soft etc*

Back