In-depth pool for the next pandora

by what name you want the next Pandora be called?

• The New Pandora

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Weren't the new names made to be used INSTEAD of Pandora 2? (to break pandora's "curse"…)

So why are you using them as subtitles for Pandora 2 in the poll?

I like Myriad and Dragonfly as "stand-alone" names.

I don't like the idea of a "Pandora 2". The new device, if it ever exist, must be based on the same basic concepts: 

- handheld device (not that long ago the term was palmtop)

- linux

- keyboard

- full gaming controls

- large battery capacity

- designed for software and hardware hacking

But it doesn't mean it has to be named the same ;)

About the screen, I said in another topic that, in my opinion, the best screen ratio for computers is 16:10. Because you can fit a dock or menubar AND 16:9 content (or you can display the video and the controls without any trouble). You use more screen estate when displaying 4:3 or 5:4 content than on 16:9 screen. You can fit more lines of text/code than on a 16:10 screen. 1280x800 is a nice resolution  :ph34r:

EDIT : isn't the galaxy note's screen pentile & capacitive?

Last edited by a moderator:
Weren't the new names made to be used INSTEAD of Pandora 2? (to break pandora's "curse"…)

So why are you using them as subtitles for Pandora 2 in the poll?

I like Myriad and Dragonfly as "stand-alone" names.

I don't like the idea of a "Pandora 2". The new device, if it ever exist, must be based on the same basic concepts: 

- handheld device (not that long ago the term was palmtop)

- linux

- keyboard

- full gaming controls

- large battery capacity

- designed for software and hardware hacking

But it doesn't mean it has to be named the same ;)

About the screen, I said in another topic that, in my opinion, the best screen ratio for computers is 16:10. Because you can fit a dock or menubar AND 16:9 content (or you can display the video and the controls without any trouble). You use more screen estate when displaying 4:3 or 5:4 content than on 16:9 screen. You can fit more lines of text/code than on a 16:10 screen. 1280x800 is a nice resolution  :ph34r:

EDIT : isn't the galaxy note's screen pentile & capacitive?
The Original Note sports the below resolution...

Display 13.46 cm (5.29 in) HD Super AMOLED with RGBG-Matrix (PenTile)

800x1280 px WXGA (285ppi)[4]

...and the Note 2 has this...

5.55 in (141 mm) diagonal with 16:9 aspect ratio widescreen

HD Super AMOLED touchscreen

720x1280 pixels (267 ppi), non-pentile (S-Stripe RGB) (3 subpixels/pixel)

Contrast ratio: 402 (nominal) / 2.307:1 (sunlight)

16M colours[8]

I do like the 1280x80o aspect ratio myself....it may draw more power but it would fulfill more needs, ultimately.  The original Note's screen size would be ideal (in my mind) for a P2.  It wouldn't have to change much from our current form factor if we used a smaller bezel and moved the speakers into the case.  I'm still a proponent of utilizing all of our available surface area and hiding things inside....like make the SCREEN (with necessary bezel) the biggest component and then design the base to fit the screen.  (EDITED to reduce screen space)

^  You must have missed where I bolded the screen size part of my post.  I don't care for the pentile system either and it will be gone when the P2 is on the drawing board.  Look, these options are what we have right now...  The OP Team isn't ready for another venture into outer space for another year or two...maybe the portable screen landscape will have changed by then.  It probably will.

Edit 1:  At this point, it's probably more constructive to think about desired resolutions and sizes/form factors and even alternative screen technologies rather than worry about comparing old and recent screens that the P2 could use.  These screens will ALL be dead and buried when the P2 is ready to be launched.

Franko, I think you either overestimate how fast screens get obsolete, or you are having a timing for the P2 in mind that is very far into the future (2016 or later).

The screens that are now in the state-of-the-art flagship smartphone models cannot be bought yet by the general public, except by buying those smartphones and extracting the screens out of them. It'll take some time before they become available to others, and then it'll take some more time before they become available in relatively low quantities for a reasonable price.

If the P2 is to be designed by early 2014 (just taking a wild guess here), first prototypes mid 2014, full production end of 2014, then I think it makes sense to consider screens that exist now if you want them to be available for purchase for a reasonable price by the time production starts.

Franko, I think you either overestimate how fast screens get obsolete, or you are having a timing for the P2 in mind that is very far into the future (2016 or later).

The screens that are now in the state-of-the-art flagship smartphone models cannot be bought yet by the general public, except by buying those smartphones and extracting the screens out of them. It'll take some time before they become available to others, and then it'll take some more time before they become available in relatively low quantities for a reasonable price.

If the P2 is to be designed by early 2014 (just taking a wild guess here), first prototypes mid 2014, full production end of 2014, then I think it makes sense to consider screens that exist now if you want them to be available for purchase for a reasonable price by the time production starts.
Perhaps.  I've been known to dream a bit beyond what's realistically feasible...(scratches out plans for a P2 with a holographic emitter)...

I can't wait to get my grubby mitts on a stereoscopic pair of Google Glass(es) as well...   :D  

I guess we'll just have to see what the portable display marketplace looks like when the OP Team is ready to draw up a P2.

Back