In-depth pool for the next pandora

by what name you want the next Pandora be called?

• The New Pandora

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

xiongxioi

What name shall ED give to the new pandora, and what's your reason behind it.

I'm all for pandora HD or names similar. To my understanding, this is better for marketing purpose. However, this is just my subjective opinion.

Doesn't Pandora HD rather imply that it will have a 1920x1080 screen, the advisability of which is still debatable?

Did you really mean an 'in depth pool' ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FRZ
When I saw the subject line I thought that the topic was going to be waterproofing.. :)

I don't like any of the poll options to be honest...   I think if you are going to give it a different name,  then make it a different name,  not a subtitle.  What ever it ends up being called will be its identity for the life of the product. It should be something distinctive.  It should also come without the baggage people mentally attach to the current name.

Also am I the only one thinking that yet another name poll is kind of pointless? There isn't even a product to name yet.

- Neelix 

I don't like any of the poll options to be honest...   I think if you are going to give it a different name,  then make it a different name,  not a subtitle.  What ever it ends up being called will be its identity for the life of the product. It should be something distinctive.  It should also come without the baggage people mentally attach to the current name.
If I saw a product that was obviously similar to an older product with numerous financial difficulties, unreliable shipping and apparent mismanagement, made by the same people under a different name, I'd detect a distinctly marine odour and put away my wallet.

I kinda like pandora HD, but only if it makes sense to use a fullHD screen.

When I saw the subject line I thought that the topic was going to be waterproofing.. :)

Also am I the only one thinking that yet another name poll is kind of pointless? There isn't even a product to name yet.

- Neelix 
To me, naming a product is quite important, I want my product name to sounds simple and meaningful.

After a consumer see the name, the first thing they should come in mind is what it is, and what it can do. Like showing a monkey there here is a banana; its bright yellow and its tasty.

Pandora 2 is likely to have a HD screen, as well as maybe some other features. So openpandora HD feels like an upgrade to the original.

These names are just examples, I think we need to be more logical on this matter to make P2 looks promising even to an every body.

I thought about somehow adding linux, or micro computer into the name, but couldn't find anything simple enough.

OpenPanix HD sounds more like the operation system, and UMOP (ultra-mobile openpandora) is like some small animal in pain.

If I saw a product that was obviously similar to an older product with numerous financial difficulties, unreliable shipping and apparent mismanagement, made by the same people under a different name, I'd detect a distinctly marine odour and put away my wallet.

I kinda like pandora HD, but only if it makes sense to use a fullHD screen.
I don't see a reason how P2 will not get a hd screen as ultra-hd is already on its way. So calling it pandora HD kinda makes sense. I know, from a utilitarian stand point, 720p is better. However, a sharp and crisp 1080p screen will be really pretty; people are likely to buy stuff that looks high-class, than things that might as well be made in soviet Russia. 

For the starters. Pandora is a good name, don't get me wrong. When I first heard it, the NO.1 thing come to my mind is a box and may contain a lot of fun stuff in it. I was not disappointed. 

For the next pandora, it need to raise the stakes a lot. 

This thread is named indepth is because I feel like there should be a thread based more on logic and less about personal fantasy and jokes. When I hear Myriad, I first think about its some sort of shampoo rather than an expensive piece of electronic. Even open Pandora infinite is better for marketing, but, that meaning not straight forward enough. 

I think even though, pandora had some rough time, changing the name will only make people see us as a bunch of hypocritical bastards as if we are desperately avoiding to be associated to the past. 

I think even if the next pandora is called my little bunny personal computer, people will still be able to mine the backstory up and call ED out on them, despite they are obviously just jumping on the hate wagon. 

However, I do agree that pandora HD seems a bit powerless. Like is some equivalent of DS Xll. I so would welcome any names that are better. Like Ultra pandora HD. which sounds like a remake of some PS2 game who no one even remembers. If we can somehow convert the idea to people that pandora is better than Ipad at dealing with daily works and gaming is just a bonus; it would be so good. 

HD to me is quite a broad term. From my TV to my tablet, they are all HD. So its hard to attract people with. Maybe we should call it OpenPandora 3D, if we can manage to get our hands on some glassless 3d screens.

To me, sony is a good name because it feels hightech and elegant. Not like those samsung peasant, or apple commoners. Vita on the other hand is too pretentious, they should just call it PSP gamar or something similar. (or infinite)

I prefer 'Pandora HD', and maintaining a brand name 'Pandora' looks good, at least there are some grounds and growing fame to spare.

Or try the same approach that Apple guys did with their tablets.

"The New Pandora"

Or something like... from its unique clamshell design... 'The Pandora Shell' :)

I prefer 'Pandora HD', and maintaining a brand name 'Pandora' looks good, at least there are some grounds and growing fame to spare.

"The New Pandora"

I have seriously considered call it the new pandora, but that would attract more rot apples thrown at us by Apple fanboys than a wicked green-skined witch in 17 Victoria London. 

The pandora shell feels a bit like a new protective ceramic case for ipone 5s than anything. I think people would see the shell design if they are heard about the name, so this is kinda redundant. Like Print "dead pig" on every bit of pork in the stores.

Are there some new awesome cyberpunky terminologies we can use? Like Pandora photon. (that would be false advertising. )

"The New Pandora"

I have seriously considered call it the new pandora, but that would attract more rot apples thrown at us by Apple fanboys than a wicked green-skined witch in 17 Victoria London. 

The pandora shell feels a bit like a new protective ceramic case for ipone 5s than anything. I think people would see the shell design if they are heard about the name, so this is kinda redundant. Like Print "dead pig" on every bit of pork in the stores.

Are there some new awesome cyberpunky terminologies we can use? Like Pandora photon. (that would be false advertising. )
Then, how about 'Higgs'?

Then, how about 'Higgs'?
That's technical enough but does not give people an idea of what P2 is all about. I guess we have to wait until more next gen socs are shown. 

I kinda wish P2 can be x86 based so we will call it the openpandora: the steam box or something like that. Though that will not happen in a few years.

So far we've had:

Pandora

Pandora rebirth

Pandora 1GHz

What would fit in with that?

Pandora 2: Electric Boogaloo.

This time, it's personal.. and the preorders are on kickstarter

Why does anyone like Pandora HD?  Would the successor to that with an even higher resolution be the Super HD?  The Pandora Querty!

Names don't need to cover specs, the specs can be read everywhere else, and I'm sure just about all of the potential buyers will look at them.  Plus adding a more betterer suffix like HD would kind of call the previous Pandora versions worse for apparently not being HD.

If the next device is vastly different throughout its design then I think it should have a new name, of course I personally endorse the Myriad.

If the next device uses the same case and much of the same hardware then I think it will continue to be the Pandora, with whatever situation of change or great hardware improvement sub name after the Rebirth and 1GHz models.

I feel as if I'm drowning in a sea of these type of threads lately...

...sooooo, why not one more for good measure?  Luckily I brought my floaties and swim fins, so here goes - why not "Pandora TNG"  (The Next Generation)?  We could shave Craig's head...he has an English accent and could pretend that he was really French.  The rest of the cast is up for debate, though.  I think that ED would make a very fine captain someday - he has a commanding presence, yet can make others feel at ease when around him...he should probably grow a beard (and trim the hair a bit? gasp).  Mr. Weston might be the blind tinkerer with a visor and a sharp mind...

OKay, I'm rambling again.  Moderators, please remove this post and shovel it into my nonsense thread, or into a round receptacle of your choosing.  I most assuredly don't want to derail such an important and serious thread as this one...(paddles off in search of a better name for the next Pandora)...

Why does anyone like Pandora HD?  Would the successor to that with an even higher resolution be the Super HD?  The Pandora Querty!

Names don't need to cover specs, the specs can be read everywhere else, and I'm sure just about all of the potential buyers will look at them.  Plus adding a more betterer suffix like HD would kind of call the previous Pandora versions worse for apparently not being HD.

If the next device is vastly different throughout its design then I think it should have a new name, of course I personally endorse the Myriad.

If the next device uses the same case and much of the same hardware then I think it will continue to be the Pandora, with whatever situation of change or great hardware improvement sub name after the Rebirth and 1GHz models.
This is for marketing to outsiders. For a UMPC, I think HD is a selling point. 

Of cause us pandora diehard fan would rush to buy the P2 when its out. The next pandora need to sound interesting enough for the noobs. 

We can call the pandora Honorificabilitudinitatibus but that may as well be pandora *^(&^@$)*&@$*(.

Lets say, If i'm a lowlevel programmer who is looking for a umpc to do his work on the go. Pandora HD would means, its a small pc with clear display, which means I can put many things on the screen at once.

That is a selling point and will give a good first impression.

If the next pandora is called pandora myriad, unless the guys is geeky as hell, he would not know that myriad means infinite. Even then, that doesn't tell him if this product is right up his alley. 

Marketing is a simple yet difficult process, as the designers may give their product very high hope and call it something he thought was cool. Consumers on the other hand, would not get the slightest hint of he should even get it.

If the stupid project shield is called something like the Adrenaline Portable, at least people will know it has exciting games, and will make your blood pumped faster. 

Surely the Adrenaline Portable would come with a myriad of warning labels...*

*WARNING:  People who are pregnant or who have heart problems should not use the Adrenaline Portable...(etc)...

So far we've had:

Pandora

Pandora rebirth

Pandora 1GHz

What would fit in with that?
As far as an incremental name?  Hopefully the Pandora 2GHz (ARM v8 multicored processor with hyperthreading and a fresh lemony scent, clocked at 2GHz+)?  I'd stay away from Pandora afterbirth, or the Pandora placenta...I like numbers in a tech device.

Back