In-depth pool for the next pandora

by what name you want the next Pandora be called?

• The New Pandora

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

You need to look at the name from a marketing perspective. 

I think it should be unique and "open" would be good to have in the name (openpandora / openmyriad). Based on the name you know immediately it is no locked Apple like product. 

I don't even think it needs to be such a great and catchy name. Because this is created for such a small niche market without advertisement budget, any message that you can send to a potential customer in the name itself should be used. 

Last edited by a moderator:
How about pandora db, standing for dual boot, advertising the manufacturer-supported, out-of-the-box GNU/Linux & Android ?

Last edited by a moderator:
"db" reminds me of "database", and I wouldn't consider dual booting to be a killer feature.

"HD" reminds me of all those iPad apps that are "HD" versions of existing iPhone apps, sometimes just with a high-res splash screen and background, and the rest being just cubic interpolated sprites from the original. Which is pretty much how a Pandora with a full HD screen would be.

Anyway, I think that in a few years, "Pandora HD" would sound just as silly as "Pandora Dolby Surround" today.

For some reason, _wb_ has a much better way of explaining things logically than I can...I didn't even try with that last one.  It just didn't sound right...

My recent (and usually horrible) ideas...

PandoraH2o

It runs on an experimental and heavy water/sodium battery....It has a clear case so that you can see the components and the PCB and most of the components.  They mostly look green.

The Pandora Turbo

This model just ooozes sex.  It's painted in a Ferrari red, and uses the fastest accepted standard battery - Lithium Polymer.  Although it has the same exact sized case as the other models, the other models are just jealous.  Cool paint job, Mario...

Pandora Afterbirth

It's the Zombie Apocalypse and even I can't sell this or explain it.  It's red-ish green and has scrape marks on this.  Maybe it was designed like this?  Maybe it's a refurbished CC Model that Craig himself ran over in his Nissan Leaf?  Maybe Zombies from Texas really put this thing together?  Who knows?  It just looks scary.

Pandora SS... because it has a single screen unlike the DS ;)
Noooo, that would be really weird because this product is from Germany.

I've heard that if you try to mention Nazi in Germany, the government will come over and set you and your dogs on fire.

I'm honestly surprised that so many posters chose HD. HD is both boring and meaningless, because there are so many standards all under the same HD Umbrella. The Open Pandora name was really strong, because it was whimsical (opening Pandora's Box) and a definite statement that it would feature Open Source Hardware and software. I like the Myriad name because it sounds light and sufficiently futuristic and optimistic.

The DragonBox would also be good, but that might alienate Craig from the very start, so that would be a *politically* awkward option.

HD also needs too much power.

If we go for an CortexA15, it could use a lot more power than before.

There are not that many A15 out yet, but the Samsung Exynos5 (5250) can use up to 8W under full load.

That would suck the Pandora battery dry in less than two hours (and that would be without display, Wifi, etc.)

The Google Nexus 10 (Exynos5) has a 9000mAh battery and runs roughly about 7 - 8 hours.

That's more than twice the battery load the Pandora has and it only get 7 hours - and a lot of that is thanks to the display.

The display has a resolution of 2560×1600... every pixel needs power.

I think when we try to go with a CortexA15 and would like to have good battery time, we should not use a display with a higher resolution that's needed.

And I doubt that a 5" display makes sense with more than 1280x720...

So I'd go with an 1280x720 (or similar) AMOLED (uses less power and has best response time).

We don't want a 3-hour-battery-time Pandora.

720 would be perfect, at least to me. Though, if at all possibly, a 6 inch screen would also be cool. Not sure if it would fit, but if we could make it work, i'd certainly be in support of it.

Back