If a default choice is set, which desktop environment the Pyra OS should have ?

If a default choice is set, which desktop environment the Pyra should have ?

• Total voters

I think the default should be simple but modern. Not default theme for whatever wm is used. It needs to be a custom theme. Maybe they should get a theme project going after they decide on a wm.

The default enlightenment may work nice too. Has a nice icon pack and default text with a dark theme.

I only like it because it's layout is almost the same as Windows as in, taskbar on bottom and tray icons etc.
I've been stuck on Windows since forever, it's been fun playing with Debian for me and the amount you can mod it.
Maybe I should try playing with more desktop environments sometime
You should be in luck, since most Linux DEs from about 2000-2010 tend to adopt the standard WIMP protocols, plus a task panel and task launcher menu (i.e the same ingredients that make up Windows 95). Gnome 3 and Unity take task launching in weird and new directions, and older windowing DEs just had windows and nothing else but you can always install a launcher menu and system tray to make any of them look more familiar.

You should be in luck, since most Linux DEs from about 2000-2010 tend to adopt the standard WIMP protocols, plus a task panel and task launcher menu (i.e the same ingredients that make up Windows 95). Gnome 3 and Unity take task launching in weird and new directions, and older windowing DEs just had windows and nothing else but you can always install a launcher menu and system tray to make any of them look more familiar.
Just tried xfce and once you move it to the bottom and get rid of the mac tray, it's even better!

Perhaps, if we were running an x86 processor where wine would just let us run x86 widows games. Since we aren't, I'm not sure it's as compelling an argument for it.
I didn't mean the operating system I meant the window manager. Haha

Oh, right. I couldn't see anything about the DE that looked at all unusual, and I can't find very much about it on the internet, but it does seem new (two years ago in their alpha they were using cinnamon). One listicle site mentions that it's quite lightweight, so it might be of interest, but I've no experience of it, and there's lightweight and then there's lightweight. Have you used it?

Oh, right. I couldn't see anything about the DE that looked at all unusual, and I can't find very much about it on the internet, but it does seem new (two years ago in their alpha they were using cinnamon). One listicle site mentions that it's quite lightweight, so it might be of interest, but I've no experience of it, and there's lightweight and then there's lightweight. Have you used it?
I've not used it. But it just looked interesting.

That’s like buying a stock car, but want it to look like a Lada Niva....

No, more like buying a stock car and making sure that nobody tries to weigh it down with air conditioning, a thumping stereo, power sunroof, leather seats, a trailer hitch, 35" off road mud tires and paint it pink with yellow polka dots.

I'm not really into LCDE so much - it's OK and all. XFCE has just enough 'extras' to make it very livable without burdening things.

Yes, but for the time being LXDE and LXqt coexist, both receiving significant updated this year. The intention is to drop plain LXDE once LXqt proves usable and stable enough, I assume, but for the time being is seems as if LXqt is for the eager beavers, while LXDE is still the low power UI for everyone else.

it's a bit depressing that there's nothing better than xfce after all these years.
Well, there are many alternatives that may be subjectively better. What do you think is missing that no DE/WM+stuff combination satisfies? Or are you after something "just like XFCE, but somehow better"?

Back