If a default choice is set, which desktop environment the Pyra OS should have ?

If a default choice is set, which desktop environment the Pyra should have ?

• Total voters

having just looked up the archlinux wiki about wayland (archwiki *is* the linux bible to me, somehow ;), i found 'sway', a wayland compositor for i3.
maybe it's nice dunno, haven't tried as i'm currently console only here, but this sounds interesting for my quest on getting
rid of x.org for running some selected gui programs as firefox etc...

but... as this poll is about a sane default de for everyone at first startup, i tend to xfce, because it was the default for the pandora, so a lot of users
feel 'at home' right away.

Last edited:
I'm using i3 over several years now. It's a tiling window manager with great keyboard configuration possibilities. It would be the perfect wm for a device like the pyra or pandora.
I plan on using i3 on mine. Should work with the shoulder buttons and game controls very nicely after some tweaking. That said, the default should be something approachable for newcomers. Advanced users can just install whatever they like and toss the default.

exactly. not sure why we even need a "choice" in the setup wizard, it's super easy to apt-get a different one.

I plan on using i3 on mine. Should work with the shoulder buttons and game controls very nicely after some tweaking. That said, the default should be something approachable for newcomers. Advanced users can just install whatever they like and toss the default.

Chalk another one up to i3.

i3 and TWM are my most useful DE choices. I tend to launch everything from the console, icons or no.

That said I voted LXDE, and I do use that one too.

default wm is very important because observers will judge the pyra by it. better if it looks modern. I'm not saying definitely KDE/plasma, but def not evilwm.

Beep. The poll options impress upon us how out of touch we are, because we're used to WM and can only guess from the name that EvilWM would be our best bet. These days, all of our "desktop environment" GUI needs are met with a "run" dialog, Guake, and a directory called "ell" for long, awkward, hard-to-remember ior oft-used inputs. (so we just type, "sh ell/ff" to launch Firefox, for example, or "sh ell/tp1" and "sh ell/tp0" to turn the touchpad on and off) We find KDE and Gnome overwhelming.

Boo use prompt. Boo say what Boo want computer do. Boo teach computer new command by put plaintext file in computer. We're ...probably not able to competently choose default options for normal people. Boop.

Yeah, we all know that the default will be whatever aTc gets working well first. Anyone who knows what they want will install what they want anyway.

Kde would be really nice. Enlightenment as well. Gnome isn't too bad either. A low resource option could be a custom xsession with blackbox and a launcher like docky. I ran that one a system at one point wasn't too bad. No unity in the poll?

They have done a lot of work for touch interface the same as gnome, kde and enlightenment. Kde and enlightenment also have a tablet option.

But the Pyra will have a keyboard and should have better nubs that my Pandora for controlling the mouse. Since the Pyra will have buttons for turning on and off wifi and so on, I expect to be mostly using the keyboard to navigate the wm at least if it's anything like xfce. Unity isn't the unstable mess it was when it launched a few years ago, but I don't see the need for a touch-focussed wm that takes more system ram than almost anything else being discussed here.

But the Pyra will have a keyboard and should have better nubs that my Pandora for controlling the mouse. Since the Pyra will have buttons for turning on and off wifi and so on, I expect to be mostly using the keyboard to navigate the wm at least if it's anything like xfce. Unity isn't the unstable mess it was when it launched a few years ago, but I don't see the need for a touch-focussed wm that takes more system ram than almost anything else being discussed here.
That's a good point. Then xfce with a nice theme would do very well.

I'd probably say LXDE because it looks closest to Windows but that's just me. (You can probably adjust the other ones, I have no idea as I'm a linux noob.)

Apparently some like the windows 10 default theme http://linux.softpedia.com/blog/win...-almost-all-major-linux-desktops-496831.shtml

And it can be applied to a bunch of desktop managers.

I really liked kde3. And icewm still looks good. But I think enlightenment looks really good.
I only like it because it's layout is almost the same as Windows as in, taskbar on bottom and tray icons etc.
I've been stuck on Windows since forever, it's been fun playing with Debian for me and the amount you can mod it.
Maybe I should try playing with more desktop environments sometime

Back