ID Software

rabidpoobear

Website
www.lukevp.com
ID Software is (probably) moving into the building I work in! That means -- John Carmack might actually see a pandora someday, if I'm riding up in the elevator with him. Wouldn't that be something? I'll be sure to have Doom 3 and Quake III loaded to show it off to him!

In this thread: What would you say if you were in an elevator with the great Carmack?

I think I would mumble something about how I wrote a raytracer once and it took me months, something about bigtexture, pee my pants, and faint.

Last edited by a moderator:
"So hey, John, I've got the *perfect* machine for you to use to control your rockets with.. wanna see it?" Pull it out of your pocket, fire up Quake, nubs away!

I'd scream like a little girl, tell him how great he is and ask him to play some doom/quake/anything with me. *g*

ID Software is (probably) moving into the building I work in! That means -- John Carmack might actually see a pandora someday, if I'm riding up in the elevator with him. Wouldn't that be something? I'll be sure to have Doom 3 and Quake III loaded to show it off to him!

In this thread: What would you say if you were in an elevator with the great Carmack?

I think I would mumble something about how I wrote a raytracer once and it took me months, something about bigtexture, pee my pants, and faint.

Lucky you...show him a Pandora and ask if he want to develop something for this. B)

I'd have to have multiple elevator rides with him before I could even get the courage to show him the Pandora. From what I hear he is a really nice guy though, on the topic of money he thinks he has enough when he can buy beer and pizza so he sounds like someone any non anal person would get along with. I'd carry around a copy of Quake II with me, my fav id game, and him sign it.

But yeah, I can't think of any other famous person I'd want to meet over him and I mean no one. Maybe Trent Reznor but hey, they know each other!

Ask him when the Doom III code is coming out and casually be playing Quake III on your Pandora when you ask.

I'd be polite, obviously, but if someone made a fuss I'd have to ask who he is, because frankly I have no idea. That aside, I'd treat him as a normal person, because I'm sure that's what he is. :) (I don't believe in this "game god" and/or "celebrity" worship thing - they're people the same as the rest of us.)

I'd be polite, obviously, but if someone made a fuss I'd have to ask who he is, because frankly I have no idea. That aside, I'd treat him as a normal person, because I'm sure that's what he is. :) (I don't believe in this "game god" and/or "celebrity" worship thing - they're people the same as the rest of us.)
ya id love to see your reaction being in an elevator with Keiji Inafune...

^ It would be the same.

[/off-topic]

The difference with him being the fact that he has coded multiple games that have millions of players.

But I agree with you, he is only mortal, the same thing will happen to him that will happen to all of us in the end, we'll die. Still, meeting someone who you respect or admire is still a little different seeing them in an elevator than someone you have never seen before and calls for a little different reaction.

so how long until ed or craig become that person that we would giggle like schoolgirls in an elevator around?

so how long until ed or craig become that person that we would giggle like schoolgirls in an elevator around?
I think I would be running for my life if I saw craig

I see him as a overly drunk, overly caffeinated, overly stressed, easily agitated, generally weird individual.

I try not to associate with those types.

I see him as a overly drunk, overly caffeinated, overly stressed, easily agitated, generally weird individual.

I have a picture of a Pandora LAN party atop Craig's place once component manufacturing more or less stabilizes, everybody smashed out of their gourd and trying to keep from smashing it on the ground below. Cans of Joose, Red Bull, and beer littering the roof and grounds below. People passed out anywhere there's a spot...

Edit: And he's wearing that Ushanka. I guess it'd have to be winter, and hard liquor about too to keep people warmed. There'd be a live stream that would only work sometimes because of the wireless...

I have a picture of a Pandora LAN party atop Craig's place once component manufacturing more or less stabilizes, everybody smashed out of their gourd and trying to keep from smashing it on the ground below. Cans of Joose, Red Bull, and beer littering the roof and grounds below. People passed out anywhere there's a spot...

This is how craig's place is normally.... you are just giving it a name "lan party"

Edit: And he's wearing that Ushanka. I guess it'd have to be winter, and hard liquor about too to keep people warmed. There'd be a live stream that would only work sometimes because of the wireless...

Well that's settled, I'm flying to the UK.

Then, if LukeVP actually runs into Carmack, invite him over. Slap a Commander Keen helmet on him and have him reign death on all us poor mortals in Q3 Arena hovering above us all in his evil Armadillo lander / command center. :-b. God I don't want to get back to the studies. Cheers!

Edit: And somebody will have spray painted Bean-With-Bacon Mega Rocket to its hide somewhere in bright green.

Back