Carmack, Iphone, Pandora And Midori

PlopperZ said:
Kyosys said:
I hope and doubt that any of the big guys will ever be interested in the pandora
Why?
I'd like to see the Pandora become more than just a homebrew console.
I, for one, wouldn't mind paying for software that takes full advantage of the hardware.

I don't know about Carmack, but get it to somebody.

I said I hope it happens. I just doubt it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
AireTamStorm said:
I for one, am curious as to when iD will open up the source for the Doom 3 engine.
Usualy when they develop a next tech-level engine like it was wolf3d-doom-quake-quake2-quake3...
Q4 and doom3 shares almost the same engine.
I doubt D3 souce will be before Doom4 - after 3-4 years maybe.

BTW Orc&Elves on DS is yummy. If I remember correctly they anounced the FPS for Nintendo DS.

danboid said:
Its design innovations are overpowered by the reek of Apples extreme corporate, fascist, money grabbing tactics for me.

Yeah, you stick it to "The Man"! Tell 'em! You won't let their evil corporate ways do YOU in! :rolleyes:

Look, I hate Apple as much as the next guy. Their devices are overpriced, underpowered, and Al Gore is on their board of directors. Regardless, it's statements like this that make me take a good look at many in the homebrew community and say, "Are you retarted?" They're a successful company because people bought their product entirely on their own free will. Seeing as it's their product, they have every right to do whatever the hell they want as far as development for it goes. What, do you hate success or something?

I guess what I'm trying to say is go back to your bong, hippie.

I'm confused, I haven't read any article anywhere stating that Carmack has any knowledge of the Pandora let alone comparing it to the Iphone.

MugenSC said:
I'm confused, I haven't read any article anywhere stating that Carmack has any knowledge of the Pandora let alone comparing it to the Iphone.
There isn't. And even if he knew it existed, it's not released so atm the iPhone is better.

AireTamStorm said:
I for one, am curious as to when iD will open up the source for the Doom 3 engine.
Give it about 6 months after either RAGE or Doom 4 comes out, whichever comes out first.

Although it could be longer though, what with Wolfenstien and Duke Nukem Forever being based on the Doom 3 engine.

Duke Forever could always get delayed and be slated for the Rage / D4 engine.

I wonder, how feasible would it be to run the Doom 3 engine on the Pandora once said source is released? Of course, textures / poly count would have to be pulled down considerably, and the engine would need a -little- <_< transition to ES 2.0. I say doable, and it has the potential to crank out some beautiful lighting demonstrations on the device.

There's one thing I definitely know about JC and that's that he's an incredibly busy man.

PlopperZ said:
I'd like to see the Pandora become more than just a homebrew console.
I, for one, wouldn't mind paying for software that takes full advantage of the hardware.
Me as well.

But I don't expect much, the Pandora audience will just be too small compared to DS, PSP or iPhone for example.

However, we might get thrown a bone or two by some pro devs who happen to own Pandoras and want to offer some enhanced versions of their projects for Pandora out of sheer enthusiasm on their part. We'll see.

iPhone apparently equips a VGP Lite to complement its MBX Lite, all running at just above 100 MHz and updateable to higher rates.

Pandora would be like a preview of the next generation iPhone/iPod touch with SGX for an interested developer.

Lazy8s said:
iPhone apparently equips a VGP Lite to complement its MBX Lite, all running at just above 100 MHz and updateable to higher rates.
Source?

Also would be great if I could get even a clue as to what VGP Lite is capable of, because I'm finding nothing. I'm wondering if it's a completely closed component that's only utilized in PowerVR's OpenGL drivers.

CronoTriggerfan said:
They're a successful company because people bought their product entirely on their own free will. Seeing as it's their product, they have every right to do whatever the hell they want as far as development for it goes. What, do you hate success or something?

Ever heard of advertising? Its purpose is to bend free will you know :) Besides, just as Apple has "every right to do whatever the hell they want", so do people have every right to speak their mind out about them and about the issues that directly affect them, such as development restrictions.

I guess what I'm trying to say is go back to your television set, square.

Alex. said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
They're a successful company because people bought their product entirely on their own free will. Seeing as it's their product, they have every right to do whatever the hell they want as far as development for it goes. What, do you hate success or something?

Ever heard of advertising? Its purpose is to bend free will you know :) Besides, just as Apple has "every right to do whatever the hell they want", so do people have every right to speak their mind out about them and about the issues that directly affect them, such as development restrictions.

I guess what I'm trying to say is go back to your television set, square.

I don't watch TV, thanks. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to get into a theological debate with someone whose free will can be bent by some asshole shoving a laptop into an envelope.

The iPhone's API environment reports the VGP in GLBenchmark.

http://glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?be...mp;testgroup=gl

Based on comparative performance, I'm assuming the graphics core runs at the speed of the system bus, 103 MHz.

Apple had raised the bus's speed in a prior software update from 100 MHz.

Although the VGP is a vertex shader that achieves compliance with MS VS 1.1, basic OpenGL ES 1.1 leaves the programmability and a lot of capability unexposed like the adaptive and fractionally tesselated curved surface acceleration.

CronoTriggerfan said:
I'm not going to get into a theological debate with someone whose free will can be bent by some asshole shoving a laptop into an envelope.
Haha, indeed, but you must admit that advertisements do have that effect on a large number of viewers, otherwise they wouldn't be half as influential and powerful as an industry. All it took was an aggressive IPod campaign 4 or so years back, and half the subway car held those shiny white bricks in their hands... What I'm trying to get to is that the 'validity' of Apple's success is debatable. Sure, from a business perspective it is a work of genius, but luckily that's not the only way to look at it ;)

Well, of course Apple is successful because of their marketing; I mean, how else could you sell an overpriced, underpowered piece of junk without making it tech sexy and throwing up billions of TV spots? I'd contribute the success not so much to their brain-washing magic powers, but to stupid people who don't take the time to check specs and buy solely because "all the cool kids have one". :lol:

CronoTriggerfan said:
but to stupid people who don't take the time to check specs and buy solely because "all the cool kids have one". :lol:
HEY
I just bought a MacBook :p
I would have to agree with you about people who buy the Air, which is an overpriced, underpowered piece of shit.

Exophase said:
Toffeeman said:
6:57: "iPhone is more powerful than the DS and PSP put together."
I still think he's wrong though.No, he's not.
  • CPU 1 67 Mhz, CPU 2 33 Mhz for the DS
  • CPU 1 333 Mhz, GPU 166 Mhz for the PSP
  • CPU 1 620 Mhz for the iPhone.
Combined, that's 400 Mhz on CPU 1 and 199 on CPU 2 for the DSPSP - and 620 for the iPhone, which, (of course) is higher than both CPUs combined from both devices. The iPhone is underclocked to 412 Mhz - which still beats the DSPSP's highest clocked CPU.

danboid said:
Pandoras CPU is almost TWICE as fast as the iPhone 3Gs
Pandora's CPU, depending on who you read, is either 500 Mhz, 600 Mhz, or 900 Mhz. The iPhone's CPU is 620 Mhz, which is higher than 2 of the numbers for the Pandora. It is underclocked to 412 Mhz. And while that number is lower than all numbers quoted for the Pandora, and the highest Pandora number is more than twice the iPhone's - the average of the Pandora's ratings is not twice as high. (The average is 667 Mhz.)
PlopperZ said:
HEY
I just bought a MacBook :p
I would have to agree with you about people who buy the Air, which is an overpriced, underpowered piece of shit.

Yes, the MacBook Air is a stupid gimmick. But this shit about Apple's being overpriced and underpowered is a relic of the PPC years. It's no longer true. A similarly spec'ed Dell or HP is not going to be much (if *ANY*) cheaper than a MacBook or iMac.

The Mac Mini is overpriced and underpowered, but just because it hasn't been updated in over a year.

The PSP has two CPUs. Aside from that, you know very well that reading "power" as "MHz" is completely naive, even more when you're adding CPU to GPu cycles...

Tinnus said:
The PSP has two CPUs. Aside from that, you know very well that reading "power" as "MHz" is completely naive, even more when you're adding CPU to GPu cycles...
I wasn't sure about the PSP having one CPU or not, I got two different answers from two different sources. The fact remains that if you add the highest Mhz from the two systems, (333 Mhz and 67 Mhz) you still get less than the underclocked power of the iPhone (412 Mhz). Add to that the iPhone has a higher resolution screen than both systems - a touch screen, which the PSP doesn't have, and a much bigger touch screen than the DS has - a 3-axis accelerometer, which neither system has...

Look, I'm not saying the iPhone is a better game system than the PSP or the DS - it's not. It's not built for games. It has no controls. But there is a reason the man - who, I'm pretty sure knows a hell of a lot more about games, gaming, and game systems than I ever will - said what he said. iPhone + iControlPad + JailBreaking= potential kick-ass system.

Back