ID Software

Really? I never felt it was any different...
So. . . if you saw a person that you respect or admire you would pretend you didn't know them? I'm not seeing what you're meaning. If I saw someone I respected or admired I would want to talk to them and tell them how much I liked what they do or whatever. I wouldn't just wouldn't act like I didn't know them.

Or, are you just saying you wouldn't pee your pants, fall down and worship them, give them your first born or something to that affect. I wouldn't do that but just acting like you don't know them is just weird. Maybe you're shy, I don't know, that wouldn't be weird.

So. . . if you saw a person that you respect or admire you would pretend you didn't know them? I'm not seeing what you're meaning. If I saw someone I respected or admired I would want to talk to them and tell them how much I liked what they do or whatever. I wouldn't just wouldn't act like I didn't know them.

Or, are you just saying you wouldn't pee your pants, fall down and worship them, give them your first born or something to that affect. I wouldn't do that but just acting like you don't know them is just weird. Maybe you're shy, I don't know, that wouldn't be weird.
Erm, I think you've misunderstood me... Nowhere did I say that I would act like I don't know them. What I said is that I have no idea who this Carmack chap is. This is the truth. I've heard his name a few times, but that's about it. :p I wouldn't speak to someone I don't know, but if someone else made a fuss about a fellow in an elevator as though the person were famous, as I said, I'd likely feel compelled to ask who the guy is (as per the thread's subject of what you'd ask the guy if you were in an elevator with him).

Additionally, indeed, I wouldn't fall down and worship them - I didn't do that when I have met such people, in fact. :p (I won a contest and visited a quite large game studio when I was a young'un, actually. I soon learned that keeping my feet on the ground was the right thing to do, because they were just very humble, very regular people. :p )

Ok, I knew I must have misunderstood, but what if it was Keiji Inafune, I assume that you at least admire him for his work on the Mega Man games. I know you wouldn't worship him but you would at least talk to him about how much you enjoy his work which is more that you would do to someone you didn't know on the elevator right?

I just got confused, sorry. I'm like you, I wouldn't worship them, no matter who it was (maybe the all mighty creator is an exception) but I'd at least want to talk to them about what I enjoy about their work or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly, yes, but past experience dictates that I probably wouldn't say or ask too much about their work. :p (I'd not want to overstay my welcome, so to speak, you know?)

Anyway, I'll duck out now - I had no intention of causing any off-topicness here! :p

What I said is that I have no idea who this Carmack chap is.

PC Gaming Guru. He created Doom and Quake, both revolutionary for the way they used 3d. I think Quake was one of the first, if not THE first 1st person shooter to use OpenGL, so he's often looked at as the guy who moved gaming on any game system into OpenGL or any of the accelerate equivalents.

He made a ton of money, almost single handedly made PC gaming relevant, and has been fairly generous in a number of ways. Doom I/II, Quake I/II/III source code are all open source, and he may continue open sourcing his engines.

Most recently he's become a rocket scientist - literally. He's running Armadillo Aerospace: http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/Armadillo/Home . I believe it's a lunar lander.

Treating celebrities as people? Most probably appreciate that.

Edit: Missing a Roman numeral in there...

Edit the 2nd: Though I'll squeal and ask him to sign the top of Craig's hat with permanent marker. :-b

"if I said you had a good body, would you hold it against me?"

I'd be polite, obviously, but if someone made a fuss I'd have to ask who he is, because frankly I have no idea. That aside, I'd treat him as a normal person, because I'm sure that's what he is. :) (I don't believe in this "game god" and/or "celebrity" worship thing - they're people the same as the rest of us.)

Malstrom.

Agreed.
What would I tell him?

"Daikatana sucked!"

I kid, of course, I kid...
He'd agree.

Also John Romero didn't leave under happy terms either but that was like 15 years ago. Wow, looking at wikipedia it was like 15 years ago. I think it might have been a rumor though, he probably thought id didn't have enough story, which none of their games really have any story, so he left. And he got to work on the most amazing game in history, Half Life, so it is good that he left id.

Anyway, this is about Carmack not Romero, sorry for the side track.

He'd agree.

Also John Romero didn't leave under happy terms either but that was like 15 years ago. Wow, looking at wikipedia it was like 15 years ago. I think it might have been a rumor though, he probably thought id didn't have enough story, which none of their games really have any story, so he left. And he got to work on the most amazing game in history, Half Life, so it is good that he left id.

Anyway, this is about Carmack not Romero, sorry for the side track.
I thought you said George Romero for a second... i was like "now THAT'S a legend I'd want to share an office space with!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_A._Romero

Back