Problems With Left Nub Sensitivity

ubermensch

Still Fresh
I just got my Pandora yesterday, and, despite some mostly minor problems, it's awesome.

One problem that I don't consider very minor is that I don't seem to be getting an even response over the full range of movement of my left analog nub. Moving the nub diagonally to the upper-right gives a much weaker response than any other direction. For example, when playing Super Mario 64, Mario begins tip-toeing when I try to move him in that direction. Also, in XFCE, the mouse cursor moves about half speed while moving it to the upper right hand side of the screen. Is there anything that can be done? It seems like something that could be fixed in software, by recalibrating it or something, but, from what I've read, the nubs shouldn't require any manual recalibration. I'd really appreciate any help.

Turn the Pandora off completely. Then start it up. For a few seconds while it is booting, the nubs are in calibration mode. At this point in time, drive the nubs in all four directions, around in a circle, back to centre, basically just move it to all of it's extremes. This is colloquially known as the magic nub dance and should sufficiently calibrate the nub for it to be usable.

WizardStan said:
Turn the Pandora off completely. Then start it up. For a few seconds while it is booting, the nubs are in calibration mode. At this point in time, drive the nubs in all four directions, around in a circle, back to centre, basically just move it to all of it's extremes. This is colloquially known as the magic nub dance and should sufficiently calibrate the nub for it to be usable.

Thanks, that seemed to help. It still didn't seem perfect when I tried this before, but I didn't have time to play with it for more than a few seconds.
Is the calibration mode during the time it takes for the Pandora logo splash screen to transition to the Pandora loading screen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant comment on the correct timing for the nub dance as I've never needed it on 2 units.

It was however mentioned that some folk had to kinda break in their nubs with lots of useage, or use compressed air on them to get them to play better. You may find something in the Support sections 'Tips N Tricks' threads on this topic.

Glad your finding the Pandora awesome otherwise :)

Arg. Well I was able to play around with the nub a bit more... but only a little more, since my screen seems to have died.
I noticed that I was starting to get weird colors when the screen wasn't completely open. Pretty rapidly after that, the screen stopped working altogether, except for when the screen was opened only a few degrees. This seems to me like a problem with the feeding of the screen cables through the hinge, and I'll be emailing the folks at gp2x.co.uk about this.

Sorry to hear you also got the Pink screen of death and a rapid total death at that! I had it with my first machine but the replacement has been solid for months so fingers crossed. Hope they get you sorted out soon :)

This is a bit concerning. So much for PSOD only happening to the first 150 units :p

Dont get too dismayed, I am sure this will turn out to be a very rare occurrence, plus ED has already indicated they are getting further advice about the cables and the design may change though the connectors will stay the same.

They have really only had less than 40 incidences of this from all of the units shipped thus far and of the newer ones, just 2-3 if I am counting correctly. Its just a shame that the fix is largely to be done at the OPT headquarters and not something the less tech savvy can do themselves, as the spare cables are very cheap. Nintendo also had issues with the DS versions and they must have had alot given the numbers they've sold.

Yep. We're not perfect (far away from being that :D), but we're working on fixing every single issue one after another :)

We can't just do all at once, as that eats huge amounts of money.
The iCP will probably help the Pandora a lot, as it is way easier to produce and could sell pretty well.
Any money can be used to make the Pandora better :D

Back