Icontrolpad

Do you feel Craig and Michael Weston IControlPad project would cause them to loose some focus on pro

• Yes

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 70 87.5%

• Total voters

This may be the first you've heard of it, but it's actually been around for a very long time indeed. So, no, I do not think the same.

I'm not entirely sure why this belongs in the Pandora section, but for the time being I won't move it, pending what the other moderators think.

It has been sitting being neglected because of the Pandora, so the actual situation is the other way around. They can co exist!

(there is actually a good chance we will see some Pandora dev as a side effect of the ICP too :) )

craigix said:
It has been sitting being neglected because of the Pandora, so the actual situation is the other way around. They can co exist!

Curious, if you haven't taken pre-orders yet for the IControlPad, why not shelf it for the time being and just worry about the existing pre-paid orders of Pandoras? I guess it be one thing if Pandora building was so slow that you guys have cycles to work on this project instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could never see it being a problem myself. The controllers are a lot easier to make than the Pandora so I can't see that getting in the way.
The use of the Pandora controls in another device can only make the factories happier and more eager to please due to the bigger orders that Craig will be placing too.

Both projects win :D

Actually, there is one thing that I'm curious about that kind of ties it back to the Pandora.
What plastics company did you go with in creating the mould? And did they give you the same kind of headaches as the one used for the Pandora?

spaceballs3000 said:
MWeston said:
Darn, I thought this was going to be another FCC thread. :)

LOL, though you got to admit your current status page at http://www.openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&Itemid=13&lang=en where is says "testing for FCC/CE compliance" is misleading as it says it status is 'Done'. When in fact no FCC certification has been actually done. :)
Well, we shouldn't turn this into a long thread going back and forth about this because we've been down this road before. FCC compliance is about keeping the world a safe place and not filling the air with unregulated signals. We spent something like 10-15 grand on CE testing which confirms the same thing. What would make the people in Europe any different from those in the US? Is their brain fluid thicker and they can take more radiation? :) I didn't get a chance to look in ED's ear to check it out but I am guessing no. ;) We made the effort to be sure Pandora was safe for the world and if there was some legal challenge required of the FCC, we could pass it and say "I told you so". From all the complicated lawyer speak we have found and been told by regulated organizations themselves, we have met the minimum compliance to sell the device. Sure, having every test for every country makes everyone happy especially when they get paid but it's the kind of costs we don't have the luxury of wasting money on.

Oh, and iControlpad started early in 2008 and tended to get worked on while waiting for Pandora stuff. It hasn't delayed Pandora and as Craig said, much of it got delayed around Pandora's schedule, including getting the plastics and even the nubs were a separate order placed after the Pandora ones.

Personally I'd buy one if it's available for my phone this year. If not, I'll create my own :p
This doesn't affect my interest in Pandora, but I can see some overlap here and there.

MWeston said:
What would make the people in Europe any different from those in the US? Is their brain fluid thicker and they can take more radiation?
Funny you should mention that...

US Brain:

Europe Brain:

ok sorry for the derail. ;p

Actually, ICP has central part with Pandora's controls which connects to phone by USB cable, and detachable side parts which serve as compatible mount for different phones (IIRC).

CRAIG: Works it as standard USB gamepad or is it all special?. Is possible make ICP as Pandora's external gamepad?

The cable looks built into the back of the unit... is there any way it will support other device's special ports. The only other method is bluetooth I guess? Is there a compartment to hide the cable or a nice way to tie it back when using bluetooth? (I've got a pandora so Im not really interested in this, just constructive criticism)

Also it would be cool to have just round pieces and sell as a bluetooth thats gamepad compatable with pandora. Though not with a cable sticking out the back.

Mofokubik said:
MWeston said:
What would make the people in Europe any different from those in the US? Is their brain fluid thicker and they can take more radiation?
Funny you should mention that...

US Brain:

Europe Brain:

ok sorry for the derail. ;p

1239989759285kopie.jpg

hey man, you started it :p

Bluetooth FTW.

I'd buy one if it could work as a second joypad for Pandora paired over bluetooth, to be used with TV out. In fact I'd use it with my PC & Laptop too.

It would also be nice if the iControlpad could be made to work with Android Phones one day too.

spaceballs3000 said:
craigix said:
Curious, if you haven't taken pre-orders yet for the IControlPad, why not shelf it for the time being and just worry about the existing pre-paid orders of Pandoras? I guess it be one thing if Pandora building was so slow that you guys have cycles to work on this project instead.

Simple: The only thing that's slowing the Pandora down is not the assembly, but the nubs that need to be redone (or tested) and the board production.
The only thing the ICP shares are the nubs - the boards (AFAIK) as well as the case (this I know for sure) are done by different companies than for the Pandora.

The nub company spits out 14.000 nubs within a few days when MP has started, so this won't delay the Pandora.
Board and case production also won't delay the Pandora.

So it totally makes sense: While the nub company sorts out the nubs and the board company tries to increase speed and quality, why shouldn't Craig use the time to continue to work on the ICP?
Should he sit around all day, waiting for the next boards to arrive, doing nothing?

Also, don't forget: Sales of the ICP could also help speed up Pandora production.
And yeah, while the Pandora is being produced, we also need to pay our bills somehow ;)

WizardStan said:
Actually, there is one thing that I'm curious about that kind of ties it back to the Pandora.
What plastics company did you go with in creating the mould? And did they give you the same kind of headaches as the one used for the Pandora?

AFAIK it was one in UK, and they didn't give any headaches. But the (compared to the Pandora) rather simple case did cost twice as much as the Pandora one.

The Pandora case would've been way more expensive. Maybe for Pandora 2 in a few years, if all works out nicely...? :)

Last edited:
What about the TV-Out cables we're still waiting on? Would spending less time on the iControlPad and more time on the TV-Out cables help get them to customers? Or is the current status TV-Out cable production out of your hands (last I remember reading there were some negotiation issues about minimum order size?)?

MWeston said:
spaceballs3000 said:
MWeston said:
Darn, I thought this was going to be another FCC thread. :)

LOL, though you got to admit your current status page at http://www.openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&Itemid=13〈=en where is says "testing for FCC/CE compliance" is misleading as it says it status is 'Done'. When in fact no FCC certification has been actually done. :)
... We made the effort to be sure Pandora was safe for the world and if there was some legal challenge required of the FCC, we could pass it and say "I told you so". From all the complicated lawyer speak we have found and been told by regulated organizations themselves, ...

yes yes, you guys absolutely *believe* it would pass FCC certification... but the fact it hasn't gone though the "FCC certification" doesn't mean it automatically will!

MWeston said:
... we have met the minimum compliance to sell the device. ...

In your country sure... But if you gave a call to the FCC asking if it's OK to import the Pandora device (that as a RF intentional radiator in it) without "FCC certification" into the USA, well we been down this path before, we know the answer is an "No"

spaceballs3000 said:
In your country sure... But if you gave a call to the FCC asking if it's OK to import the Pandora device (that as a RF intentional radiator in it) without "FCC certification" into the USA, well we been down this path before, we know the answer is an "No"
As far as I've understood, certification is not required for import or sale, only compliance.
The Pandora has been tested and shown to be CE compliant, therefore it is known to be FCC compliant.

If you have evidence that certification required for import please present it.
I'm sorry if you've presented some before also, but I have yet to see any.

Alerino said:
iControlPad = profit
TV-Out cable = about 500 happy people

if you were a businessman, what would you do?:
I see your point, but I think the OpenPandora Team isn't trying to come off as cold-hearted businessmen (a la corporate giants at the usual companies that are mentioned around here) that are only after profit as opposed to making customers happy (as far as I understand, there are no iControlPad customers yet). As such they might be more inclined to spend time fulfilling long overdue orders as opposed to creating a new product...

Unless the situation is that the only way they can pay the 'debt' of the TV-Out cables (IIRC, the minimum order size the factory wants is too expensive?) is to raise money through a new product (iControlPad)?

Back