Icontrolpad

Do you feel Craig and Michael Weston IControlPad project would cause them to loose some focus on pro

• Yes

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 70 87.5%

• Total voters

Azure said:
What about the TV-Out cables we're still waiting on? Would spending less time on the iControlPad and more time on the TV-Out cables help get them to customers? Or is the current status TV-Out cable production out of your hands (last I remember reading there were some negotiation issues about minimum order size?)?

As said multiple times: The TV Out Cables are ready for production, but the amount (10.000 pieces!) they want at the moment is ridiculous.
As it's done by the same company that does the casing, trying to negotiate with them to get the cables in smaller amounts will certainly be easier once we got the rest of the cases (including the ones for Batch 2) from them.
So until the second batch cases are produced (most likely finished in October), it doesn't make sense discussing with them. That's something I posted a few times already.

BTW: Fatih is doing the negotiations with the chinese company, so even if he was working on getting the TV Out Cables now, Craig would still have time to discuss with the other companies about the iControlPad, while Michael does care about the nub company and the board company.

Craig also has to make a living. Unlike me, he's currently fulltime working on the Pandora. The preorder money was for parts only, but he needs something to eat, too, you know?
So he either has to get a job (which would be bad, as he couldn't work on the Pandora as flexible as he does at the moment) or tries to earn some money by doing stuff like the ICP.

I really don't see what the problem is here.

Last edited:
Aninhumer said:
spaceballs3000 said:
In your country sure... But if you gave a call to the FCC asking if it's OK to import the Pandora device (that as a RF intentional radiator in it) without "FCC certification" into the USA, well we been down this path before, we know the answer is an "No"
As far as I've understood, certification is not required for import or sale, only compliance.
The Pandora has been tested and shown to be CE compliant, therefore it is known to be FCC compliant.

If you have evidence that certification required for import please present it.
I'm sorry if you've presented some before also, but I have yet to see any.

Hi Aninhmer,

FCC compliance in this particular case, using the un-certified FCC 802.11 module that the Pandora has, it will end up needing a FCC ID to be legal in the USA.
see post --> http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php...engineer/page__st__30__p__742239&#entry742239

If you wish to continue to discuses this, I recommend starting another thread, or revive and old thread about it, as there are plenty of ones to do so.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php...g-passed/page__st__90__p__803455&#entry803455
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52609-today-is-a-great-dayhopefully/
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php...esting-passed/page__view__findpost__p__803387
etc..

Also re-reading some threads I've noticed that ED never responded to my question about him asking if he talked to the "CE certification group" that they used, and why Directive 99/5/EC Radio and telecommunications terminal equipment doesn't apply to the Pandora. Because it would be sad if ED, Craig, etc.. somehow messed up and it turns out the Pandora's CE mark is invalid i.e. discussion about it here --> http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52970-ce-certification-now-invalid/

Last edited by a moderator:
spaceballs3000 said:
LOL
{WHISPER into bullhorn} CE mark = Canada & EU {/WHISPER into bullhorn}
CE covers the European Economic Area, not Canada. However, there is a "recognition of conformity" agreement with regard to it that covers Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, and the USA, as I understand it.

Prometheus said:
spaceballs3000 said:
LOL
{WHISPER into bullhorn} CE mark = Canada & EU {/WHISPER into bullhorn}
CE covers the European Economic Area, not Canada. However, there is a "recognition of conformity" agreement with regard to it that covers Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, and the USA, as I understand it.
Yes we all can read Wikpedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark#Mutual_recognition_of_conformity_assessment
Fact that have a device that conforms to "recognition of conformity" (i.e. CE mark) doesn't mean it covers all the requirements needed to be sold in that country, as there could be additional requirements required, say something like "Class B digital apparatus meets all requirements of the Canadian Interference-Causing Equipment Regulations."

EvilDragon said:
As said multiple times: The TV Out Cables are ready for production, but the amount (10.000 pieces!) they want at the moment is ridiculous.
As it's done by the same company that does the casing, trying to negotiate with them to get the cables in smaller amounts will certainly be easier once we got the rest of the cases (including the ones for Batch 2) from them.
So until the second batch cases are produced (most likely finished in October), it doesn't make sense discussing with them. That's something I posted a few times already.

I'd thought the remaining ones from batch two were already ordered, and almost done being produced:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55823-latest-build-news/page__view__findpost__p__903093

Speaking of which, those were coming into customs sometime last week, right? Any updates on that shipping/tracking/whatever? Were the parts painted (or not painted, in the case of buttons) appropriately?

EvilDragon said:

So, uh... why not produce them in-house?

benji_stein said:
EvilDragon said:

I'd thought the remaining ones from batch two were already ordered, and almost done being produced:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55823-latest-build-news/page__view__findpost__p__903093

Speaking of which, those were coming into customs sometime last week, right? Any updates on that shipping/tracking/whatever? Were the parts painted (or not painted, in the case of buttons) appropriately?

Ordered: Yes.
Produced: Only the rest of Batch 1 (+ 1000 surplus) yet, as painting takes some time and doing 8000 at once would need too long.
Regarding shipping / tracking / whatever: Sadly, I cannot reply, as I haven't asked Fatih or Craig what's the status there.

Last edited:
ED, I think what has people confused is the fact that TV out cable info has 2 completely different answers as to why they aren't available.

craigix said:
matzesu said:
I tought there was an diverent issue: the min order for OP is 10.000 but only 400 Customers has ordered tv cables from OP, and it would be too expensive 10000 cables to buy when OP needs only 400 for the Customers..

They will make any number (well, within reason, like 1000+). The problem is the parts come from Chilie and an earthquake wrecked the supply line.

So, you say they need 10,000 minimum, Craig says 1,000 would be fine but the supply line was disrupted. It can be one or the other, question is which is the proper info?

I think this confusion leads to the question being asked so much. I only ask because the tv-out feature is something I will need pretty much as soon as my device arrives. I don't have the money to go buying the home made cables or the connectors to make them and don't want to if the official cable is going to be available within a reasonable amount of time.

What Poem said.

Also, with all the wasted time that's passed couldn't a bunch of the parts have been acquired and a handful of people with proven soldering competence been sent batches to make at their own pace for kudos or credit?

I always thought mobile phone gaming was poor due to crap controls.The i control pad is an excellent idea.
Even regular mobile phones just need a d-pad instead of a crap wheel thing.Or a thumbstick that screws into the middle of the dpad making it a thumbstick controller.If some money can be made and i think a lot could be made with mass production of this device then this is a good thing.Nuff said :)

I just checked if Droid/Milestone supports USB host. It does, but the Milestone doesn't allow custom firmware, so it's impossible to add the drivers to the kernel :( You should definitely make a bluetooth version as this works on almost all Android phones out there.

mali said:
You should definitely make a bluetooth version as this works on almost all Android phones out there.
Sound too late for that kind of changes sadly :(

^ If the space inside the case allows it, it might be possible to add another version to the portfolio. They have a version with integrated battery anyway, afaik :)

mali said:
They have a version with integrated battery anyway, afaik :)

hum, they also stole the pandora battery for the ICP???

hehe rofl...

hum by the way wouldn't it be a good idea to add automatically a "I don't care, stop bothering me with useless polls" option to every poll?

Alerino said:
iControlPad = profit
TV-Out cable = about 500 happy people

if you were a businessman, what would you do?:

Both.

Back