I ♥ My Wiz

?

• Total voters

Nova said:
DaveC said:
I like my Wiz still. Even though I designed the case for the Pandora, I still like the Wiz for many things. MAME looks great on that OLED screen and nothing will beat it. LCD is shit. It is ghostly, low contrast, has terrible "black" levels (more like medium gray) and has bad viewing angles. This is why the LCD based Canoe doesn't interest me.

Not all LCD screens are created equal though, right? I mean on the PSP Fat and (i hear) the Pandora, the ghosting is very visible, but on a lot of other handhelds I've played with, this isn't quite the case.
The LCD on the GP2X was actually quite nice, with no ghosting at all. It is of course no where near as good with viewing angles and color contrast as the Wiz AMOLED display. I also have a launch japanese psp fat, and that screen is terrible. The psp3000 model is quite nice though and it's almost night and day in comparison to the fat. I do wish that the Cannoo would add an OLED display.

Last edited by a moderator:
i still like my wiz a lot , but i have difficulty to play a few emulator in a 2.8 screen size. i played a lot of nes emulator since pickle updated it, but my eyes cry sometime after a few hours.

STILL, the better handheld to bring with you. small, low weight, mp3, video, emulators, homebrew...

i think i will change my vote to love it LOL, but i really have to make the DaveC tuto to have a better d-pad. i have problem in megaman 4 , megaman slide when i dont want him to do it. so i got killed really more often than with real hardware. so i prefer to play megaman 2 you cant slide LOL

I loved my wiz and it is without question the greatest handheld I have ever owned. I spent hours playing games, listening to music and watching movies. I recently took it with me on a trip to washington though and for whatever reason half the pixels just died. I'm not sure of the reason but I ended up just giving it to my cousin who did not seem to mind. As much as I loved the OLED screen I will be glad to have a more stable LCD screen when I purchase a CAANOO in the future. That being said I do hope they go back to OLED when the technology is more stable.

Everyone (all the new smartphones) is using oled these days. They should have found a better supplier instead. Comparing LCD to AMOLED there is a huge difference in contrast. I am disappointed they cant get better oled screens.

Hope people don't get mad because I am bringing back an old thread.

I am about to get a Wiz this weekend. I would absolutely love to have a Pandora but the price is just to high for me right now. I actually found a post by someone in the Market Place selling their Wiz (why does this sound so bad LOL) or wanted to trade it for a NDS. Well I had a black NDS Lite that I don't play much anymore (even though I have an AceKard 2) so I decided to offer it for trade. Well my Wiz is on its way to me right now as we speak. I am really excited about getting one. I voted I don't own a Wiz but plan too. I will change it when I have my Wiz to how I feel about it.

Changed my vote! I got my Wiz and have been playing it obsessively! I love it! Now I am going through programming school so hopefully I will be able to contribute to this community!

DaveC said:
I like my Wiz still. Even though I designed the case for the Pandora, I still like the Wiz for many things. MAME looks great on that OLED screen and nothing will beat it. LCD is shit. It is ghostly, low contrast, has terrible "black" levels (more like medium gray) and has bad viewing angles. This is why the LCD based Canoe doesn't interest me.
I agree with you totally Dave. The WiZ screen is the finest I've seen on a portable.

I love my WiZ :).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to open source handhelds, but I have to say the Wiz has been better than I expected. I was counting on playing some Mame and Nintendo and its turned out to be so much more. While the screen is brilliant, I'm not sure I would really mind an LCD, but because I'm so satisfied with the Wiz right now I don't really have any interest in paying for the Caanoo.

I realize that comparison was not part of this poll but it is top of mind since the release of the Caanoo.

Back