I Got Gpsp (gba) Running With Sound!

Fishbong posted on Dec 7 2006 at 12:15 AM said:
Please don´t get me wrong. Unlike certain cheapskates i own a GBA and DS and i´m actually not interested in using this emulator. Emulating a handheld on a handheld is pointless IMO, unless the emulated handheld is very hard to get.
The point i´m trying to make is that scaling doesn´t have to look bad.

I don´t care for anything else in this thread. I don´t care how good or bad your eyes are, what your uncle did to you when you were nine or whatever.
Most of you see emulators only as a chep way to play games you´d have to pay for otherwise, it doesn´t surprise me if you don´t care for anything else.

EDIT: Oh, and is that hour husband in your avatar?

Oh, I have my GBA too, and I play my GBA games on my GBA, and I buy the games I like. I'd use the emulator for 1) games that are impossible to get, either because they're nowhere to be found or because they're in a funny language and need a translation patch, or 2) for playing games with a backlight. I have an original GBA, where sharpness of sight is much less important than a FAT F*IN HEADLAMP TO BE ABLE TO SEE IN THE DARK!!! Kinda.

And I don't disagree with you. I disagree with the ones who go "OMFG You must implement teh scalling, D00d, Coz I cant be beeten by a PSP!!1!" or similar things. I just want to say:

1) No, it is not a big deal. Get the emu working first, and think about scaling later (my opinion)
2) Hand me that PSP and get over here, and I'll show you who can be beaten by a PSP.

And no, thats not my husband. That is my wife.

No, actually, it is me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you guys understood it, but my post was full of irony...!
I'm very sorry to bug you all.

By the way, ZODTTD and Exophase rocks!

Alright... Here are some of my results from playing around with the emulator. All of this was done at 275mhz... I used frame skip 2 so much that you might as well figure it was on every game :p

Baulders Gate - Dark Alliance
gpsp3: Very fast and almost full speed but I found a slight graphic error in game when you hit start to go to the menu.
gpsp3_fast: I did not see any noticeable speed increase but the graphic error when you hit start was still there and slightly worse.

Bomberman Max 2 Red
gpsp3_fast: Slow menu but the game seems playable.

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow
gpsp3_fast: Bios trick needed to get working. Seems fast until enemies come up and then slows down to a slightly unplayable speed for me.

Castlevania Circle of Moon
gpsp3_fast: Slow start menu but in game menus are fine. Enemies on screen slow down the game again and the catacombs is a major slowdown.

Final Fantasy Tactics
gpsp3: Slow and not playable
gpsp3_fast: Slow but possibly playable for someone with more patience than me.

Final Fantasy 1 & 2
gpsp3: Menu very slow but playable in game. It is slightly faster than Final Fantasy Tactics but I wouldn't play it till a speed increase.
gpsp3_fast: Crashes after Square logo

Final Fantasy 4
gpsp3: Needs bios load trick and then is slow but somewhat playable. About the same speed as Final Fantasy 1 & 2.
gpsp3_fast: Crashes before Square logo without bios load trick then crashes after the Square logo with bios load trick.

Mario Advanced
gpsp: Loads with bios trick to get the message: Save data corrupt.
gpsp_fast: Same as gpsp.

Mario Advanced 2
gpsp: Selecting Super Mario World restarts the rom. You can play classic at frame skip 2, not at full speed but you can kill some creatures.
gpsp_fast: Super Mario World still resets rom. The classic version is a bit faster than the gpsp version but not full speed.

Mario Advanced 3
gpsp: Yoshie's Island restarts rom. Mario classic still slow but playable.
gpsp_fast: Yoshie's Island restarts rom and Mario classic is slow but playable. Slightly faster than gpsp.

Mario Advanced 4
gpsp_fast: Fast enough to be enjoyably playable :D

Mario and Luigi - Superstar Saga
gpsp: Needs no bios trick and playable.
gpsp_fast: Needs Bios trick to start. Selecting Mario and Luigi seems to crash rom but it could just reset the rom and with no bios trick crash.

Mario Kart - Super Circuit
gpsp: Slow but playable
gpsp_fast: Adds speed but the cars tend to flicker in and out. Same thing seems to happen with Spyro - Seasons of Ice on gpsp_fast

Mario Party
gpsp_fast: Slow but playable... I didn't test this on gpsp because the opening made me want to shoot myself.

Mario vs Donkey Kong
gpsp: Emulator crashes even with bios trick.
gpsp_fast: Emulator crashes even with bios trick.

Monster Rancher
gpsp_fast: Seems almost full speed. I've never played this so if there is a point in the game where you can walk around I didn't test this. I played up to getting a monster.

Monster Rancher 2
gpsp_fast: Same as Monster Rancher

Pokemon Red
gpsp: Works but too slow to enjoy
gpsp_fast: Still slow but playable

Pokemon Green
gpsp: Seems faster than Pokemon Red in gpsp but still not playable.
gpsp_fast: About the same speed as Pokemon Red

Pokemon Emerald, Ruby, and Saphire (all 3 games were the same)
gpsp: Slow and unplayable
gpsp_fast: Slight speed increase but still not playable.

Spyro Seasons of Ice
gpsp: Slow but playable
gpsp_fast: Faster than gpsp but when Spyro moves around both he and other creatures around him tend to flicker in and out.

Spyro Seasons of Flame
gpsp: Slow and not playable
gpsp_fast: Still slow and not playable but no graphic errors like in Seasons of Ice

Spyro - Attack of the Rhynocs
gpsp_fast: Slow but playable and no graphic errors.

Just a quick note, when I say the rom crashed I mean I can still go into the gpsp menu and re-load that rom or load a different rom... If I say the emulator crashed that means I could not go into the gpsp menu and had to restart the gp2x. Also it seems if I accidently exit the gpsp I need to restart the gp2x before the gpsp menu will work. Same thing happens if I try to go from gpsp to gpsp_fast.

Hope all this helps! I sure hope a new version was not released as I was typing this :p

You got some very different results there Ryan2065 compared to me.
Did you do this without overclocking?
All of the Mario Advance games worked for me, a bit slow though, but they worked.
Also Pokemon Ruby works at about 80% speed for me, seems fullspeed, only sound is bad, otherwise great.
And Mario & Luigi doesn't crash for me until you get into a battle.
-- GP2X @250 MHz

Yeah, I found Pokemon Ruby perfectly playable at even FS0 (without sound, 245MHz)

Hrm... I did this with overclocking to 270... Never turned the sound off though, could this be the difference? The only setting I changed was FS and moved it up to 2 most the time.

For the Mario Advanced games I might have bad rom versions... Could be the reason for the restart... And Mario and Luigi didn't crash for me on gpsp but did with gpsp_fast... Granted I just tested that one and didn't get to a battle. :rolleyes:

Without sound Pokemon Ruby works way better.

I generally find it impossible to run anything with sound anyway, as it sounds horrible even at fs2 or 3. So I just run everything without sound, and most of it runs reasonably well :) even golden sun!

Ryan2065 posted on Dec 7 2006 at 09:59 PM said:
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow
gpsp3_fast: Bios trick needed to get working. Seems fast until enemies come up and then slows down to a slightly unplayable speed for me.

Don't use the fast version, overclock to at least 260Mhz (I use 280) and set frameskip to 1 or 2 and it'll be completely playable, even with enemies. Only minor slowdowns on complex rooms.
I'm playing it and I got to 50%.

chaos engineer posted on Dec 8 2006 at 08:20 AM said:
I just tried the psp version of this emu, and I must say it is amazing. This shows that it is possible to optimize the gp2x-version

I looked at the PSP version of gpSP a few times. It has a game_config.txt file with it, and I noticed that it has a lot of extra little things, like eliminating things like idle loops to help speed up games. I think it would be a good idea to implement, at least in this stage.

jaesond posted on Dec 8 2006 at 01:23 PM said:
chaos engineer posted on Dec 8 2006 at 08:20 AM said:
I just tried the psp version of this emu, and I must say it is amazing. This shows that it is possible to optimize the gp2x-version

I looked at the PSP version of gpSP a few times. It has a game_config.txt file with it, and I noticed that it has a lot of extra little things, like eliminating things like idle loops to help speed up games. I think it would be a good idea to implement, at least in this stage.
That's planned.

k3nn posted on Dec 8 2006 at 09:34 AM said:
I generally find it impossible to run anything with sound anyway, as it sounds horrible even at fs2 or 3. So I just run everything without sound, and most of it runs reasonably well :) even golden sun!

Try Wario Land 4. :)
Sound is excellent.

Burbruee posted on Dec 8 2006 at 04:28 PM said:
k3nn posted on Dec 8 2006 at 09:34 AM said:

Try Wario Land 4. :)
Sound is excellent.

Or Baulder's gate; it has only an occasional pop or clicking for me at 240mhz, FS2 ... and plays surprisingly smooth (oh, an occasional corrupt gfx screen here and there, but just still images in-between action scenes)

cowai posted on Dec 8 2006 at 06:31 PM said:
What happened to all the posts?
Dude I know. Its like everyone just left. I don't know, I really hope that release comes out tonight though. Zodttd and Exophase rock so hard for this.

Back