I Got Gpsp (gba) Running With Sound!

DaveC posted on Dec 6 2006 at 06:42 PM said:
Fishbong posted on Dec 6 2006 at 06:17 PM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 6 2006 at 07:11 PM said:
Exophase posted on Dec 6 2006 at 03:44 PM said:
Can anyone confirm whether or not the hardware scaling can do filtering w/YUV input?
No it doesn't do filtering. Just the standard and ugly pixel stretching.
Actually it does, but Dave fears you might be "getting the wrong idea" and concern yourself with anything but giving him his "fs0 with sound" emu. ;)

Source of your info? There is not a single emu that has hardware stretching and uses a blurry filter. All just make the pixels blocky.

No I don't think he is "getting the wrong idea". I am sure he realizes that a slow emu with blocky distorted pixels would be pretty bad. Not everyone thinks sacrificing everything just to get the coveted "fullscreen at any cost" is worth it.

It can filter YUV data, that is why the movie player looks nicer when scaling than a standard HW stretch. However just how that filtering is done and if it is complex and involving some kind of technique on the decoded Mpeg stream is another matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Burbruee posted on Dec 6 2006 at 06:43 PM said:
Julius posted on Dec 6 2006 at 06:09 PM said:
Hmm just a short question ZodTTD:
Is that Paypal link in your sig. accurate? It seems to link to a woman's paypal account... or is Dana a male name? Waiting with my donation till you confirm it... but exophase already got his ;)

Err.. Yeah Dana is a male name.

Acutally it's a unisex name :p

I'm usually a 1:1 guy too but having used the scaled version on the PSP for some time now I find it hard to go back to squinting at the tiny unscaled version, even though it looks crisper.

I've noticed something though, everyone generally wants whatever works best and makes the most people happy, whereas DaveC wants only the options that he likes and attacks the issue like a rabid dog foaming at the mouth.

Just an observation.. maybe it's his social skills at fault and he doesn't mean to come across that way.

I need scaling. For me, it has to be bigger than gba's screen. Or else, I could just buy an gba.. (I know, that sounds a bit stupid).

The best argument: We can't be beaten by a psp.. :p

HIDES. :lol:

cowai posted on Dec 6 2006 at 03:12 PM said:
I need scaling. For me, it has to be bigger than gba's screen. Or else, I could just buy an gba.. (I know, that sounds a bit stupid).

The best argument: We can't be beaten by a psp..

HIDES.

whyil0.jpg

Why...

DaveC posted on Dec 6 2006 at 07:42 PM said:
Source of your info? There is not a single emu that has hardware stretching and uses a blurry filter. All just make the pixels blocky.
Sigh.

You are confosing the hardware blitter with the scaling hardware. Did you watch the 240x160 videos i posted earlier? That´s how it could look if we could access the actual scaling hardware.

If you just use the hardware blitter then yes, it would look jagged and uneven, but for me that´s still better than using a magnifying glass. Wasn´t it you who whined about small screen size in every Gizmondo and GB micro thread?

Fishbong posted on Dec 6 2006 at 09:59 PM said:
but for me that´s still better than using a magnifying glass.

Are you sure? I think attaching an appropriate lens to the screen would be the best solution. Either that or just get better eyes. Mine are supreme at short-to-mid ranges.

Ah, I think everything has been said by everyone else already, twice. No more points to be made here.... Until the next release, anyway.

There's a very simple solution. Those who cannot stand "squinting at the postage-stamp sized speck on the screen" or "cant be beaten by a PSP" or whatever, simply just don't do it. The rest of us play GBA games. Great, no?

Please don´t get me wrong. Unlike certain cheapskates i own a GBA and DS and i´m actually not interested in using this emulator. Emulating a handheld on a handheld is pointless IMO, unless the emulated handheld is very hard to get.
The point i´m trying to make is that scaling doesn´t have to look bad.

I don´t care for anything else in this thread. I don´t care how good or bad your eyes are, what your uncle did to you when you were nine or whatever.
Most of you see emulators only as a chep way to play games you´d have to pay for otherwise, it doesn´t surprise me if you don´t care for anything else.

EDIT: Oh, and is that hour husband in your avatar?

lol
so why are you here?
My eyes are still OK so I can read the title of this thread, but to be sure I wont make mistake I will copy/paste it
"I Got Gpsp (gba) Running With Sound!"
You dont care what my oncle did to me....but I dont care that you own a DS or a GBA or your philosophy about emulation...

see you :lol:

First off, I'd like to say thank you for a very impressive emulator! Being able to play Spyro and Crash on my GP2X just put a big ol' smile on my face! :)

I realise this is an alpha still (albeit a very impressive one) but I figure I'd post a couple of problems I've come across:

1. PLEASE add a sound toggle option in the menu! I've been tapping my vol- as lightly as possible but it's really hit-or-miss stuff(9/10 times I just can't toggle it off so I have to plug in some earphones).

2. I've also had the problem whereby a game loaded from a save state "freezes" a few minutes into play (with v3) Spyro seems to be particularly vulnerable to this.

3. Crash Bandicoot (the huge adventure) crashes as soon as you die on the first level, and Crash Bandicoot N-Tranced crashes as soon as you complete the first level (really frustrating bug this one!) just as you jump into the warp hole.

Thanks.

subcon959 posted on Dec 6 2006 at 07:32 PM said:
I'm usually a 1:1 guy too but having used the scaled version on the PSP for some time now I find it hard to go back to squinting at the tiny unscaled version, even though it looks crisper.

I've noticed something though, everyone generally wants whatever works best and makes the most people happy, whereas DaveC wants only the options that he likes and attacks the issue like a rabid dog foaming at the mouth.

Just an observation.. maybe it's his social skills at fault and he doesn't mean to come across that way.

Well with the PSP the pixels are alot smaller because of the increased res. That means at 1:1 the image is much smaller than it is on the GP2X. So with PSP you almost need it.

Everyone wants what "works best" to THEM and makes THEM happy. No different.

I never said there shouldn't be a scaling option. I just said that priorities would be best getting the emu up to speed and fix the sound stuttering, rather than spending time figuring out scaling algorhythms. Everyone would like better speed and sound. Not everyone likes stretching. So with that in mind *I* actually want "whatever works best and makes the most people happy" ;)

Fishbong posted on Dec 6 2006 at 09:59 PM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 6 2006 at 07:42 PM said:
Sigh.

If you just use the hardware blitter then yes, it would look jagged and uneven, but for me that´s still better than using a magnifying glass.

Wasn´t it you who whined about small screen size in every Gizmondo and GB micro thread?

You like jagged and un-even, I hate it.

Yes of course it was me who whined about small screen size. Because with small screens GBA, GB, SMS etc would be super tiny at 1:1. Since I wouldn't stretch you need a larger screen to make up for the image sizes at 1:1 ;)

Ability to turn sound off in the menu before you load a rom would be amazing... That way I could play around with this at work! Even with headphones on the sound is too loud and I can't get that volume to turn off by hitting volume down... Well once I was successful... I think the other times Spyro's sounds scared me.

Sorry, it was a busy day or two, and I felt I'd let the thread settle first. I'll get an update out tommorow. :)

Converting RGB > YUV in fixed point requires only simple calculations. It is not necessary to use floating point because it is not possible to have a color with a fraction.

Wikipedia said:
Y := min(abs(r * 2104 + g * 4130 + b * 802 + 4096 + 131072) >> 13, 235)
U := min(abs(r * -1214 + g * -2384 + b * 3598 + 4096 + 1048576) >> 13, 240)
V := min(abs(r * 3598 + g * -3013 + b * -585 + 4096 + 1048576) >> 13, 240)

Back