Introducing myself to the community

porg

Hi guys! I've been active in the community for a while now, but never used the opportunity to introduce myself to you! Here it comes! Cheers, porg

MY STORY TOWARDS THE PANDORA (Oct 2008 — June 2011)

In summer 2008, I had a well paid summer job as a version manager at Frequentis in Vienna (although I was a media designer back then, but always have been a nerd too, meanwhile got an interaction designer) and I wanted to give myself a little treat.

I was looking for a multifunctional gaming device. And my research led me to the Pandora. I ordered. Then I waited for 2.5 years...

Then at the beginning of May 2011 the Pandora arrived. As I was working on my diploma in media art at that time, I left that parcel unopened for 2 months, as I did not want any distraction!!! After graduating and receiving my academic title, I gave the Pandora as a present to myself :)

porg-pandora-1-parcel.jpg porg-pandora-2-unboxing.jpg porg-pandora-3-pride.jpg porg-pandora-4-firstuse.jpg

MY STORY WITH THE PANDORA (June 2011 — hopefully long into the future )

So far I have enjoyed some gaming on the Pandora and honestly the majority of my Pandora time with participating in community efforts by beta-testing, app/game reviews in the repo/forums, filing bug reports and writing feature suggestions.

This effort was fun, as the people involved with OpenPandora are real nice and dedicated folks, and worth it, as at the turn of the year 2011/2012, the main functionality of the Pandora OS has now reached a state, which is acceptable to me, to eventually personally focus more on the content (gaming!). 2012-12: MiniMenu returns quick and to recent state, 2012-03: kernel gets far better power management & standby.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE PANDORA:

• Plethora of controls
  • FLOSS gaming device (meaning quick SW portability)
  • High battery capacity

MY FAVORITE PANDORA GAMES:

• Blocks/Sorting: Color Lines, CrystalStack, Shootet
  • Arcade: GnuJump, Hamster's Escape, RetroBattle
  • Platformer: jvgs, Giana's Return, Frogatto
  • Shooter: Formido, Super Geometry Dust, Transdimensional Hellfighter
  • Action Puzzle Games: Which Way Up, Brain Party, B.A.L.L.Z.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!

I can't believe that you managed to hold off another 2 months after waiting over 2 years to receive your Pandora. Talk about self control!

Don't think I could have done that.

I had too self control! MacGuyver keeps a cool head in his critical adventures as well...

First things first. But I don't know whether he could resist a new swiss army knife... :p

Cool, another Vienna Pandora user! Are you still in Vienna? We should meet @Metalab sometime, we Pandora users should be amassing around the metalab gamedev scene, too ..

Welcome porg. Get some quality headphones plugged into your Pandora and marvel at the audio. It blows all and I do mean all other portable audio sources out of the water.

Dear torpor! We already met at Metalab in June 2010. No memories? Maybe the photos help. You have had yours then, and I got mine 1 year later. Now we both have one: Let's meet again!

@Linux-SWAT: I was hesitating with this picture, but then thought, OP is not a gentlemen's club, I think they can bear those socks. No need for a photo retouche.

@BaDToaD: As I have sensitive ears, I refrain from intensive (circum-aural) headphone listening, and just used the Pandora with well tempered supra-aural headphones. Within that my limitations, I have to say that the sound was fine.

Great intro, porg!

Thanks!

2012-03: kernel gets far better power management & standby.

Oh really? I may have missed corresponding board postings.

But this sounds great!

Where can I find more info about this improvement and (how) can I test it?

Thanks,

Daniel

Yes, I like cheese and also vegetarian spreads.

I rarely eat meat, but on this occasions I enjoy it as something special.

Back