How Far Can The Gp32 Go With Emulation?

H

hughes051

Hello again. OK how far can the gp32 be push with emulation? Ii mean the snes runs great on my gp32 and the snes was a 16 bit machine and so was the mega drive. I belve there is a gba emulator in the works but after that what next?

Are we likey to see the n64 and super mario 64 e.t.c. on the gp32 as we all know the zx spectrum was push to great hights in it day with only 48k of memory so how far can the gp32 go it will be intresting to say the least.

Thanks for looking
Ian

hughes051 posted on Mar 22 2005 at 06:56 PM said:
Hello again.  OK how far can the gp32 be push with emulation?  Ii mean the snes runs great on my gp32 and the snes was a 16 bit machine and so was the mega drive.  I belve there is a gba emulator in the works but after that what next?

Are we likey to see the n64 and super mario 64 e.t.c. on the gp32 as we all know the zx spectrum was push to great hights in it day with only 48k of memory so how far can the gp32 go it will be intresting to say the least.

Thanks for looking
Ian

No, you will never see N64 emulation on the GP32. :rolleyes: The most you will see is arcade with MAME, SNES, and Genesis. Those are about the highest it will go and still be playable. GBA probably never will get too good either, it may be possible with alot of work, but not likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
finty posted on Mar 22 2005 at 07:04 PM said:
There is a PSX emulator though, just to confuse you.

I think he is interested in PLAYABLE emus ;)

How far it can go is not only limited by attempting advanced technology, but also by interest in porting exisiting emulators.

Someone already mentioned the BBC today, and there is also Atari 7800, TI-99/4a, Intellivision, Philips Videopac, Vic-20, and 8088-DOS which can be done.
(The Vectrex and Atari 2600 are in the "not quite there yet" category, also).

I find the emulators of more obscure systems very fun. I never used the Speccy or CPC before, but really enjoy them on my GP32 (my only experience with the Spectrum was viewing those harsh lookng screenshots on the back of my European ST games).

If I was in Europe in the early/mid-80's, I would have wanted a CPC...

Hwrd posted on Mar 22 2005 at 07:24 PM said:

Well i was, and i had one, and it was great ;)

Personally i'd really like to see the GBA emulation sorted out properly on the GP32, it seems like eons since we heard anything about that.

fade posted on Mar 22 2005 at 12:33 PM said:

Well i was, and i had one, and it was great ;)

Personally i'd really like to see the GBA emulation sorted out properly on the GP32, it seems like eons since we heard anything about that.

Sorry, the verdict is in... the Sega SC3000 was the best micro' of the 80's. :p
Let the schoolyard wars resume.... ;)
(quietly creeps away after lobbing water bomb)

*+---------------
hughes051 posted on Mar 22 2005 at 06:56 PM said:
Hello again. OK how far can the gp32 be push with emulation? Ii mean the snes runs great on my gp32 and the snes was a 16 bit machine and so was the mega drive. I belve there is a gba emulator in the works but after that what next?

Thanks for looking
Ian

Well, anything with higher specs than the gp32 would be a good start. N64, PSX and Sega Saturn are all out of the question. Rom size limitations comes to mind as well. While i don' think Neo Geo games would work anyway, most of the roms are way too big to fit into the gp32's ram anyway. Amiga remanins to be seen, but I think the processor is too slow. Mame's cores can be redone in arm9 asm and we could see some good progress there. Since every single gp32 has the same video hardware we could see some great improvemet there with the video driver designed to take every last bit of silicon it can, where as PC-MAC mame are made for a hodgepodge of hardware configs and our version could be highly optimized for the gp32. Fortunately, MAME opens up hundreds and hundreds of quality games to our beloved little macine. I don't know how close to the metal you can get with the information out there for the gp32, but the closer the better. Id like to see a palm pilot emulator, that would open the door for alot of new software and games.

Chris

>>work on neogeo pocket would be cool

forgot about the NGPC.

Anyone know if "they" (they... they...) finished the English translation of Card Fighter Clash II ?

Cardfighter Clash was excellent.

Not too long ago people were adament that the GP32 simply didn't have quite enough power to emulate a 16-bit console. Well, Reesy proved them all wrong with his recent DrMD, which runs astonishingly well with power to spare. So we can definitely see perfect SNES emulation once we find a coder skilled and dedicated enough to finish the project.

Further than that... doubtful.

So yeah, the limit for the GP32 is probably SNES and MAME.

shinneri posted on Mar 23 2005 at 12:49 AM said:
Not too long ago people were adament that the GP32 simply didn't have quite enough power to emulate a 16-bit console. Well, Reesy proved them all wrong with his recent DrMD, which runs astonishingly well with power to spare. So we can definitely see perfect SNES emulation once we find a coder skilled and dedicated enough to finish the project.

Further than that... doubtful.

So yeah, the limit for the GP32 is probably SNES and MAME.
Even so, Thats is an excellent limit! :) :D

If the Mega Drive\Genesis can be emulated at full speed with sound, i dont see why a SNES can't be emulated to the same degree.

When full speed + sound SNES emulation is completed on the GP32, i'll consider the device complete. But as it stands we have absolutely superb emulation across the board (DrMD made me squeal like a schoolgirl at it's beauty) but a glaring omission right at the end of the shelf where the SNES is supposed to sit.

Now watch as someone flames me with something about how stunning DrMD is, and how ungrateful i am for wanting a SNES emu.

As my pre-empted reply:
Yes, DrMD is stunning. It is practically the only emu I use. I have nothing against DrMD or Reesy, as i consider him an absolute fucking champion for being able to code such a great emu.
And i've wanted decent SNES emulation well before DrMD even existed. So no i am not ungrateful for longing for an emu when we have a pleathora of other emu's already existing.
Sure, we'll most likely never even get a decent SNES emu on the GP32, as no coders seem to be interested in the development of one, however i'm allowed to dream ;)

I find the emulators of more obscure systems very fun. I never used the Speccy or CPC before, but really enjoy them on my GP32 (my only experience with the Spectrum was viewing those harsh lookng screenshots on the back of my European ST games).

I totally agree with ya, never tried the MSX before and some of those games are excellent. Was a speccy user back in the 80's but trying out games on the C64 is also good, being unbiased and finding better versions on the C64 or knowing that some on the Speccy were better

Great to hear you trying some of those Speccy classics

>>I totally agree with ya, never tried the MSX before and some of those games are excellent.<<

Another nice thing about MSX, being a big Colecovision fan, is that it shows what would have came on the Coleco if it didn't die in the crash...

Back