How far can emulation go? (Pyra vs. Pandora)

Tempest 2k is still to this day a Saturn exclusive which is worth playing. There's a Saturn port which is apparently almost faithful, but we can't run that on Pandora. There is a kind of sequel/special edition on Playstation (Tempest X3) which is arguably the better game, but if only it had actually been called Tempest 2000.

Other than that there's Missile Command 3D which has a lot of content and kept me amused for a good week, Super Burnout which I've not played but reviews well, and plenty of good ports, which are probably a little easier to get going than the Amiga and DOS originals, and a number of early full 3D titles which are historical artefacts at the very least.

Its as i thought, Sega Saturn emulation on the Pandora became better and better.

Here a new Video with a 2D Game and you will positive surprised how good that work with latest Beta on Pandora ;)

(3D Games are still too slow)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7xQM-3tDHcU?feature=oembed

Thx to Ptitseb for still working on it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It indicate 50~ but i have the impression it have less frames. Anyway it's awesome the improve. Hope we can play Guardian Heroes on Pyra :D .

It indicate 50~ but i have the impression it have less frames. Anyway it's awesome the improve. Hope we can play Guardian Heroes on Pyra :D .
Yeah, even when it skip frame, it still show 50. Take it more like a % of speed, where 50/50 is 100% speed emulation (but with some frameskip maybe).

Soul Calibur and Ocarina. If those play as good or better...  :wub:

On my 1Ghz Pandora Ocarina of Time is full speed on mine. As for Soul Calibur with Reicast it's playable if I disable sound. What EvilDragon shown of DC emulation it would have no issues at all. Guys think bigger than N64 and Dreamcast for the Pyra. Just don't get your hopes too high on GC and PS2.

On my 1Ghz Pandora Ocarina of Time is full speed on mine. As for Soul Calibur with Reicast it's playable if I disable sound. What EvilDragon shown of DC emulation it would have no issues at all. Guys think bigger than N64 and Dreamcast for the Pyra. Just don't get your hopes too high on GC and PS2.
That's very encouraging. Although I play Gamecube/Wii and PS2 on my laptop, the older games have more allure and are more immersive for me. A good story and solid gameplay beats out the graphics race of today's games usually every time. I always go back to the classics. At the moment it's 80's Arcade with Mame. :)   

What's bigger than Dreamcast and smaller than PS2 and Gamecube?

Don't say 3DS :p

What's bigger than Dreamcast and smaller than PS2 and Gamecube?

Don't say 3DS :p
Gizmondo :p

I'm interested if this will let us play more up-to-date MAME builds, targetting more up-to-date arcade boards.  I doubt we'll see Sega Hikaru running, given MAME's accuracy penalty, but it might be nice to see some of the Sega Model boards running (I'm not honestly sure if any run already - Virtua Figher on Model 1 probably being the most famous model game).  I'd love to see SCUD Race running, but that's model 3 so might be a bit much even for MAME on OMAP5.  In theory we ought to be almost able to run ST-V games on Pandora if we can almost run Saturn ones, but I don't know how much slower MAME is than custom emulators.

Indeed, I'm also anxious to see what kind of games we can run on mame. With the pandora I had epic days playing cps2 games with my brother in law.

I haven't seen Normatt on the freenode channels for a while, should i expect that he's still on the Pyra train ride?

As they were some unfinished Retrogames on my Pandora even when the Pyra is being delifered: what to expect from the Emulators whe know from the Pandora??

PSX Reamed have now some High Res Filters which is somethimes a bit slow on my CC

Some DS Games dosnt work, also some N64 Games as Blastcorbs and Concers Bad Fur Day

Ditnt got GTA Advance to Work (whyle the rom it self workd: testet it on the Revo K101 + )

I expect these Emulators quite better on pyra

And whit the more efficent Omap they should run quite longer until the batterie is empty..

Im also interest in the emulators i dosnt run on the Pandora like Dreamcast, and Saturn, but most of my games where from the Pandora Emulators..

Some DS Games dosnt work
Don't work well (poor performance) or don't work at all? I'm assuming the latter - do you have examples? Current version has some glitches that are being fixed and a few known games that might lock/crash in places but they're pretty obscure. The only game I'm tracking that doesn't work which I have no fix for is Rabbids Go Home which doesn't work on DeSmuME either (it has a strict gamecard timing check as an anti-piracy measure)

Ditnt got GTA Advance to Work (whyle the rom it self workd: testet it on the Revo K101 + )
gpSP DMA timing issue that wasn't ever fixed. I'm sure a VBA port will be a good enough alternative for Pyra, AFAIK it almost is for Pandora.

I expect these Emulators quite better on pyra
DraStic isn't going to have any different compatibility on Pyra. DeSmuME might, but I doubt it's going to run well enough.

Chinatown Wars per Exemple have an issue: the screen flickers from the top to the touchscreen

I think the Pyra will be better, because it have more ram, and can run much faster..

On GHZ Units, GTA Chinatown Wars works, so i think its more an issue from my slow Circuitco Pandora..

Chinatown Wars per Exemple have an issue: the screen flickers from the top to the touchscreen

I think the Pyra will be better, because it have more ram, and can run much faster..

On GHZ Units, GTA Chinatown Wars works, so i think its more an issue from my slow Circuitco Pandora..
If anything, that would more likely be a video graphics driver issue rather than a speed issue

Back