Here's Hoping We Get Some News Before The Weekend.

Im sorry that I got knocked down again, all this week I thought the cases had shipped and come to find out they havent. This is just so not right, I ve waited and waited but each time, its another two weeks. There isnt anything to look forward too anymore. no thrill or excitement, only disappointment. I will be canceling today, so there will be one one space open. Sorry everyone, but this is just not right. I do hope everyone else gets there units sometime, but all the fun has been taken away.

Awakening said:
Didn't MW say something about bad weather in Canada so the cases should arrive late this week?

I do wonder how many cases (if any) they can ship before the holidays.
Yeah, he was basing that on them having shipped last week! So now with this new news, hopefully the weather will have cleared up by next week. We can't really aford any delays at this point. We have had some delivery delays here in the states as well due to weather!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting to get seriously annoyed...

This is the current status:
So much for the background "What happened". Now onto the more interesting stuff: What WILL happen?

One thing we did understand correctly was that their goal is to have the mass-produced cased finished and shipped until the chinese new year!
We now do know that they did finish the last tweaks on the case mould, the silkscreen and the keyboard mould (which still had one mis-aligned letter). And with finished, I do mean REALLY finished. Not just another step, but all steps. This does mean they'll ship the final samples within the next days. They are VERY positive they are perfect, so as soon as they shipped out everything, they prepare the mass production. So as soon as we get the samples and approve it, mass production will start. As they can produce 1000 cases a day and we need 4000 for the first batch, this can happen within four days. That should work out just before the chinese new year!

I know it does sound a lot like stuff you already heard before - but this time, we were talking with them in their native language, so I assume it will be much more accurate than anything before!

I won't give a shit about forum posts and wait for something from ED or the Blog. I won't start to pluck some past posts from the boards to pieces in public now, as it won't gain anything. But I am not happy right now, that's for sure.

Edit:
Sorry for the harsh words.

mali said:
@Fusion
*sigh*
You are frequenting two boards, it can't be that you missed the latest progress, can it?
I've read it but I doubt everything only was because of weird communication-issues. When the Pandora team says, that the cases already on it's way and delayed only during bad weather then I assume they KNOW that the parts are on it's way. If they are not 100% sure that the Factory has shipped it a few days ago (like we now know doesn't happen) then Craigix simply can't post his "maybe, guess..." stuff. ;)

I know that the 15. was nothing but hot air but it is still 2 weeks ago and actualy you can do MANY things within 2 weeks so I just wondered why the factory still takes ages for only "small little" changes. Are they working only 5 Minutes per day onto the Moulds? Or only one Person with a hand bound behind him? I just can't imagine how so many time can be put into so tiny little parts of metal assuming, they really working 8 hrs a day onto it what I really doubt.

And yes, you are right, it actualy makes no sense to take some vague forum posts as a base of confirmed Informations. :)

fusion_power said:
mali said:
@Fusion
*sigh*
You are frequenting two boards, it can't be that you missed the latest progress, can it?
I've read it but I doubt everything only was because of weird communication-issues. When the Pandora team says, that the cases already on it's way and delayed only during bad weather then I assume they KNOW that the parts are on it's way. If they are not 100% sure that the Factory has shipped it a few days ago (like we now know doesn't happen) then Craigix simply can't post his "maybe, guess..." stuff. ;)

I know that the 15. was nothing but hot air but it is still 2 weeks ago and actualy you can do MANY things within 2 weeks so I just wondered why the factory still takes ages for only "small little" changes. Are they working only 5 Minutes per day onto the Moulds? Or only one Person with a hand bound behind him? I just can't imagine how so many time can be put into so tiny little parts of metal assuming, they really working 8 hrs a day onto it what I really doubt.

And yes, you are right, it actualy makes no sense to take some vague forum posts as a base of confirmed Informations. :)
I always assumed the reason for the extra delays(since the second revision, to now), was based on the factory making sure everything was going to be "Perfect"! By the factory standards, as well as the teams standards! In Ed's blog post, that is pretty much what was said. Now if these cases aren't perfect, and not shipped out this weekend! I would guess there will be way more than a few people very pissed off at this point! I'm here for the duration, but the waiting, and missed matched information can kind of get to you! As of today, I'm still expecting 4000 complete cases to arrive in Texas within the next few weeks. Am I crazy? Probably! :p

Chris

In the worst case scenario, how much time do they take off for their holiday, if the cases don't arrive before their New year?

worzyl said:
In the worst case scenario, how much time do they take off for their holiday, if the cases don't arrive before their New year?
It starts the 14th of february, and runs 2 weeks. Although some have said, they may leave as soon as the 10th, but that is just rumor at this point!

Chris

Kiss February good bye if they don't ship by Chinese New Year.

ED said:
Kann ich bestätigen, die Aussage (inkl. einer weiteren Zusicherung, dass vor Neujahr alles fertig ist) ist heute früh von Fatih gekommen, nachdem sein Freund auch heute nochmal auf chinesisch nachgefragt hatte.

Translation said:
I can confirm it. That statement(including the assurance that everything will be ready before the New Year) came from Fatih this morning after his friend had asked for confirmation in Chinese.

I think I prefer my off topic Armadillo reference, to the way this thread went since then... but yes, I was also under the understanding that the final, final, final cases had already shipped. I'm sure we can find posts to support that understanding...

Armadillo... kinda sounds dirty. Like, strap-on Armadillo... yeah baby.

jumpman said:
Craig said the current moulds are only good for about 10,000 units, before the mould goes bad! So any number above that will have to have a new mould produced. Which should be fairly easy, considering they can just match it to the current one! So hopefully it won't take forever to produce more cases.

but... the case mols they need to match to will, by then, be bugg...er, will have gone bad. Don't want to copy bad molds, do we?

Since the design of the molds was finalised over 6 months ago, does this mean that they will make new molds to the original design and need another 6 months tweaking, I wonder?

Also - Craig's said he is signing paperwork. He hasn't committed to what paperwork (it could be paperwork to send to ED, MWeston, and Faith) or it could be paperwork that he will sign and keep in a drawer for 6 months.

craigix said:
We spoke to the factory, they confirmed the moulds are finished and they are shipping final samples this weekend.

Or to rephrase, they haven't shipped yet. forecasting future events can be tricky. As you should know by now.

The silent one said:
Im sorry that I got knocked down again, all this week I thought the cases had shipped and come to find out they havent. This is just so not right, I ve waited and waited but each time, its another two weeks. There isnt anything to look forward too anymore. no thrill or excitement, only disappointment. I will be canceling today, so there will be one one space open. Sorry everyone, but this is just not right. I do hope everyone else gets there units sometime, but all the fun has been taken away.

I'm sorry to hear that - but look on the bright side, the Pandora is getting closer. While now it's "two weeks", it used to be "two months"!

For first-batchers they only need 4 days supposedly to produce 4000 cases; As long as they get this amount done then we'll all be satisfied won't we? They've got assembly waiting to receive the cases and EvilDragon's got boxes and boxes ready popped-out to receive them. I'm waiting on photos pre-shipping and MWeston's comments -- let's hope they come soon.

Why are these little tweaks taking so long? The bigger tweaks didn't take nearly as long.

WolfSpider said:
Why are these little tweaks taking so long? The bigger tweaks didn't take nearly as long.

Yes, it's easy to draw a tree shape, but drawing all those little leaves and twigs...

WolfSpider said:
What's easier to pick up, a bag full of rice, or 100 individual grains? The little things always take longer than the big ones.

Dead1nside said:
For first-batchers they only need 4 days supposedly to produce 4000 cases; As long as they get this amount done then we'll all be satisfied won't we? They've got assembly waiting to receive the cases and EvilDragon's got boxes and boxes ready popped-out to receive them. I'm waiting on photos pre-shipping and MWeston's comments -- let's hope they come soon.
+1

Chris

WolfSpider said:
Don't quote me on this, as my understanding may very well be wrong: I was under the impression from reading past postings (I'm afraid I have no links to hand - sorry) that the smaller adjustments have to be done by hand, and I would imagine that this is a very painstaking process where no mistakes would be permissible. If I have understood this correctly, I can fully understand why smaller adjustments would take longer*.

(*My other hobby is sewing. Sometimes tiny, occasionally sub-millimetre, adjustments need to be made to work-in-progress pieces when you're designing something, and if you mess it up you have to start over, so you need to be very careful. In fact, I just got through doing exactly this with one of my projects, just a few minutes ago. :p I can only imagine that the same applies to mould-making, except on a much bigger scale.)

EDIT: Super-ninja'd - added quote for clarity.

Back