Half The Protoype Case

I do hope the gaming buttons with have some sort of plastic clips that fall into position on the inside of the case, so they don't end up spinning round. Upside down A's and B's wouldn't look good.

Gruso said:
It probably has been discussed, didn't catch it myself.
I asked about that once when I thought about a swivel hinge mod but got no answer. I speculated that it will be fed through behind the hinge, what was quite near the truth as we can see now.

Last edited by a moderator:
TaG said:
Bath sealant.

Surely you don't think they got this far and said "oh shit! we forgot those huge holes around the nubs"?

Haha no. I'm sure they've done something, I just want to know what it is ;)

Vorporeal said:
TaG said:
Bath sealant.

Surely you don't think they got this far and said "oh shit! we forgot those huge holes around the nubs"?

Haha no. I'm sure they've done something, I just want to know what it is ;)

I think it is glowing rings.

And they look fucking awesome.

kin said:
I remember seeing lots of DS owners with broken hinges.
I remember seeing lots of shotgun owners with broken shoulders

hey

I actually had the impression that there were gonna be plastic buttons on top (I guess from the rendered image of the Pandora), somewhat like those of a Casio calculator.

Anyhows such things might have already been mentioned, but I now wonder of things that have a comparable/simular keyboard, images would be nice, hehe.

cyas

CandidStan said:
We should just rename the device from the Pandora to the OoGhiJ MIQtxxXA to cover all the bases of what it can do.
Be that a super computer?

mazza558 said:
Indeed it is glowing rings:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1WOMFrOCti4

That's a pretty old vid (as I'm sure you noticed), showing the original nubs before a new supplier (and whole new design) became necessary. As others have stated, they were reflective. And they looked pretty nice.

As far as I know there hasn't been any info released on how the new ones will look, but there is obviously a wee gap there which can't be "filled" at the same level as the rest of the case without raising the nubs (to which the LCD says no). So the addition of reflective rings to the new nub incarnation makes so much sense it hurts. Here's hoping!

To be honest, I'd prefer a flush and discreet solution to close the gaps. A shiny whatsoever inlay without real usefulness would be a showstopper for me. Pure black is less toyish IMO

The nub doesn't travel much beyond it's original footprint, 2mm at best I guess. So a 2-3mm recessed ring area would be sufficient. It's hard to tell from the pic if the border of the nub is the same height as the case, though, so maybe no recession is required at all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEdJ2V7ltxg...ature=player_em

Gruso said:
Shiny or not, it has to be recessed in order for the nubs to move.
Perhaps now is the time to fill with clear plastic and make use of the infamous KP_BL pad on the board? :lol:

I kid, I kid. But I do confess to liking the shiny rings of the original nubs, despite my normal dislike for flashy, cool looking things.

That case was made with the original pads in mind. Though I don't know for sure. I would assume the production cases will simply have smaller holes to fit the current pads. That is the most logical solution.

Back