Half The Protoype Case

mazza558

MWeston posted this image earlier:

pandprotokeys.JPG

With this info:

It fits, but it had to be made thicker to prevent brittle areas in the cups holding the carbon pads. Therefore, it isn't very usable as it takes a lot of force to press buttons. As far as form is concerned, it fits beautifully. As far as more complete prototypes (CNC'd) go, I won't have anything until the New Year. I had to drive over to the FedEx depot to pick this one up myself before they closed up for the holidays or I wouldn't even have had this one! :)

We're very...slowly... getting there.

Expect to see a final unit in June 2010 :p

I don't care if the keyboard sucks. I'm just worried about the gaming controls

Yigguth said:
I was wondering about the D-pad - how's that thing going to actually move in the space it's got?

Last edited by a moderator:
mazza558 said:
Yigguth said:
I was wondering about the D-pad - how's that thing going to actually move in the space it's got?

It's still a prototype, right?

Positive attitude, guys. This project is in good hands :D

mali said:
EvilDragon said:
Aaaalso, hier nochmals (hatte es zwar oben schon mal geschrieben, aber das wird wohl immer überlesen):

Die Tasten lassen sich schwer drücken, weil es sich um einen PROTOTYPEN handelt, NICHT, weil wir da einen Fehler haben.
Das ist produktionstechnisch so. Solche Tasten drücken sich ja mithilfe von sehr dünnen Wänden (bei uns genau 0,2mm). Sieht man gut, wenn man mal einen Taschenrechner aufschraubt
(den hab ich als Vorlage genommen). Mit dem fertig erstellten Werkzeug sind die Wände dann auch exakt so dünn - bei der Prototypherstellung läßt sich das aber nicht so genau einstellen, daher wären solche Wände eher dünner (und reißen) oder dicker.
Der Prototyp dieser Matte ist dafür geeignet, zu testen, ob alles ins Gehäuse passt, ob der Abstand zur Platine passt, etc.
Und das tut er.
Heißt: Jetzt kann das Werkzeug hergestellt werden - und das läßt sich dann auch drücken.

Thema Bedruckung: Wir sind am Überlegen, ob wir eine individuelle Bedruckung (Deutsch, Englisch, Türkisch, Spanisch) machen sollen - und da schaut es im Moment recht gut aus, da die Bedruckung NACH der Mattenherstellung stattfindet, also von den Kosten her durchaus möglich ist :)
free translation said:
The keys are hard to press, because it is a prototype and not because we made a mistake. This is caused by production necessities.
Those keys are able to be pressed because of their very thin walls(in this case exactly 0.2mm). You can see that, when you disassemble
a pocket calculator for example(which I took as reference).
When the tool(the part of the molding machine in which the hot fluid rubber is injected) is ready, the walls will be exactly that thin -
in a prototype-process it isn't possible to adjust it that exactly, so the walls would be thinner(and break) or thicker.
This prototype is adapted for testing if it fits into the case and if the distance to the PCB is right etc. And it does fit.
This means, now the tool can be made and the keys will be pressable.
Regarding the key-printings: We think about making individual printings(German, English, Turkish, Spanish) -
it looks good at the moment, because the printing is done after the fabrication of the mat, so it would be possible regarding kosts :)
STFU :)

Yigguth said:
You probably hope that a Pandora light(lite?) will be released. For me if the keyboard doesn't work then I can only do about 10% of what I want to do with it.

But it sounds like this isn't a problem anyway, just another step to getting the Pandora correct.

It's one of the old prototype cases. One that matches the new 'redesign' will have to follow before anything else happens...

mazza558 said:
Yigguth said:

The DPad is my biggest concern. So few controllers have gotten it right in my opinion. I only really like the SNES one and a well-broken in Playstation one. The litmus test for me is whether it's easy to pull off the fireball 95%+ of the time in SF2. I find it hard to find the diagonals on many dpads. Of course it'll be easy to just plug in an actual SNES pad, got a convertor, and the pad is around here somewhere :D But it'll be nicer if I didn't have to bother.

Seems there must be some news I haven't read... Last I heard, Craig was saying that the reorder date would be as close to the shipping date as possible, and now Chip has told us that the reorder day could be very soon indeed. I believe Craig has also said that they'd like to have all the original orders out by the end of January.

I know that dates have a way of getting pushed back, but I'm keeping my optimism until I find news to the contrary. No news doesn't mean a lack of progress - it may mean just the opposite. :pandora1: :)

yeah... that looks like a really prototype-ish case. VERY rough. I wouldn't like it if I got a laptop with a case that rough :p

second exodous said:
Yigguth said:
You probably hope that a Pandora light(lite?) will be released. For me if the keyboard doesn't work then I can only do about 10% of what I want to do with it.

But it sounds like this isn't a problem anyway, just another step to getting the Pandora correct.

+1

I intend on using it as a mobile dev/testing platform, which requires a decent typing experience.

Please read the whole thread. The keyboard sucks only because it's a prototype, it won't suck in the end.

Yeah I know they are not going to release a keyboard on it that sucks. Thinking about that, how in the world would you fix any linux problems(without connecting a usb keyboard)?

Progress is progress.

I'm still wondering how those analog nubs will feel..they look awfully close...

Really does look great, glad the keymat is lining up correctly ^.^

Soulkiller said:
I'm still wondering how those analog nubs will feel..they look awfully close...
If I hold my hands like I'm holding Pandora, my thumbs are resting right where the analogs would be. Looks pretty ergonomic to be honest, more so than most gaming controls.

Back