Gpsp Is Out!

great.. dont tell me notaz is turning his back on caanoo just like exophase :(

this is turning out to be a crappy day *cries some more*

Relax Jengo. There are many people who are capable of debugging something like gpSP. I'm not "turning my back on Caanoo", I wouldn't touch gpSP regardless of what platform it's on. If someone needed help debugging something else they were porting for me that'd be another story. Lordus has offered to port emulators to Caanoo for me, and he's highly capable and should have no problem getting things working. I'd ask him to look at gpSP, but again, I'd prefer to not get involved with it.

Exophase said:
notaz said:
Assumptions assumptions..

Yeah tell us more then ;P You said it was happening for Caanoo, everything else kinda follows from that. Did you hit an obstacle?
Nothing you can help with, it's some motivation crushing "real life" shit. I'll still try to keep my promise though.

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
Nothing you can help with, it's some motivation crushing "real life" shit. I'll still try to keep my promise though.

I definitely know how you feel there. I'm sure everyone will be okay with that, I was just concerned that you found some technical reason that would prevent it from even being possible.

Exo is pretty interesting here, really :) gpsp is pretty awesome work, be he knows he could do better, so distances himself from gpsp. More to point, as any busy coder knows, you have to place limits else you end up working on 25 projects and spread too thin and stressed out. So I think Exo is wise enough to just say 'I wrote it, I've done my time, let others take care of it' and keep his sanity. ITs hard to distance yourself from something you built, so I have to admire him on that one :)

jeff

skeezix said:
Exo is pretty interesting here, really :) gpsp is pretty awesome work, be he knows he could do better, so distances himself from gpsp. More to point, as any busy coder knows, you have to place limits else you end up working on 25 projects and spread too thin and stressed out. So I think Exo is wise enough to just say 'I wrote it, I've done my time, let others take care of it' and keep his sanity. ITs hard to distance yourself from something you built, so I have to admire him on that one :)

jeff

thats sounds nice but it that the way it really went down?. Im pretty sure his reason was to drop it because other working working (forking) on it (and the bugs reports were sent back to Exo)?

Actually the real reason I don't want to work on gpSP is because I want to do a new GBA emulator that doesn't share any of the codebase. Pretty much any programmer who is serious about anything is going to have to eventually rewrite when they learn more.. check out Steve Snake's Sega emulators, he has rewritten them several times now. It wouldn't quite be from scratch though, I have some other code that could be useful for it.

Working on gpSP instead is just a waste of time and a distraction, plus some of it was rushed and my coding style has changed a bit so it's not a very pleasant experience to deal with it.

I just have to get the new version of Temper released so I can start on this.

Exophase said:
Actually the real reason I don't want to work on gpSP is because I want to do a new GBA emulator that doesn't share any of the codebase. Pretty much any programmer who is serious about anything is going to have to eventually rewrite when they learn more.. check out Steve Snake's Sega emulators, he has rewritten them several times now. It wouldn't quite be from scratch though, I have some other code that could be useful for it.

Working on gpSP instead is just a waste of time and a distraction, plus some of it was rushed and my coding style has changed a bit so it's not a very pleasant experience to deal with it.

I just have to get the new version of Temper released so I can start on this.

I'm not sure how much ARM specific code is in Temper, but have you ever considered releasing a PC version of Temper? There seems to be a lack of options for PC engine emulators for Linux. I've tried hugo and mednafen but they both have compatibility problems with some games. It would be awesome to someday be able to apt-get install temper

Mednafen doesn't have compatibility problems that I'm aware of (or at least no more than Temper).. if you're having problems running USA ROMs it's because they're probably bad dumps. Most USA ROMs were originally dumped with Japanese cart readers, which is a problem because the data bus is flipped between the two regions, hence why need an adapter. It's possible to flip the bits again to fix the problem, and all but one of the games are really obviously flipped so the other emulators will check to see if the game looks bad (Temper extends the heuristic a bit to support the other one, Legend of Hero Tonma). The author of Mednafen deliberately chose not to do this because she wants to discourage the use of these bad ROMs. The rest of us don't think it's worth dealing with all the people complaining about it. It's kind of a problematic situation.

At any rate, this program might help you:

http://exophase.devzero.co.uk/usa_fix.c

If you're on Linux I assume you know how to build it.

I do have a PC version of Temper, I always develop emulators on PC first using portable C + SDL.. it'd be really hard to get them on handhelds otherwise. I don't think there's much compelling reason to use it over Mednafen, unless you really badly need a GUI or you want to netplay against someone else running it. I don't have any PC specific features in it, and the control set is only configurable for my gamepad.. the keyboard controls are completely fixed. I don't want to publicly release it and open myself up to support and requests but if you really want it I can send it to you.

Exophase said:
Mednafen doesn't have compatibility problems that I'm aware of (or at least no more than Temper).. if you're having problems running USA ROMs it's because they're probably bad dumps. Most USA ROMs were originally dumped with Japanese cart readers, which is a problem because the data bus is flipped between the two regions, hence why need an adapter. It's possible to flip the bits again to fix the problem, and all but one of the games are really obviously flipped so the other emulators will check to see if the game looks bad (Temper extends the heuristic a bit to support the other one, Legend of Hero Tonma). The author of Mednafen deliberately chose not to do this because she wants to discourage the use of these bad ROMs. The rest of us don't think it's worth dealing with all the people complaining about it. It's kind of a problematic situation.

At any rate, this program might help you:

http://exophase.devzero.co.uk/usa_fix.c

If you're on Linux I assume you know how to build it.

I do have a PC version of Temper, I always develop emulators on PC first using portable C + SDL.. it'd be really hard to get them on handhelds otherwise. I don't think there's much compelling reason to use it over Mednafen, unless you really badly need a GUI or you want to netplay against someone else running it. I don't have any PC specific features in it, and the control set is only configurable for my gamepad.. the keyboard controls are completely fixed. I don't want to publicly release it and open myself up to support and requests but if you really want it I can send it to you.

Brilliant, thank you. I was unaware of that problem with the rom dumps. I tried usa_fix on one of my roms that wasn't working (Military Madness) and now mednafen can open it. Thanks again!

Hi All,

Here is a fixed version of gpsp, where the sound seems to work with metroid and sonic :

http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/public/caanoo/gpsp/distrib-gpsp-fix.zip

The source code is provided in the zip archive. The overclock stuff is not activated (i did it in the gpsp.gpe shell script instead).
The sound issue seems to be related to gcc optimization since, i've just use -O0 instead of (-O2 or -O3) with the cpu_threaded.z and memory.u and it works just fine.

Hope that helps.

zx-81 said:
Hi All,

Here is a fixed version of gpsp, where the sound seems to work with metroid and sonic :

http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/public/caanoo/gpsp/distrib-gpsp-fix.zip

The source code is provided in the zip archive. The overclock stuff is not activated (i did it in the gpsp.gpe shell script instead).
The sound issue seems to be related to gcc optimization since, i've just use -O0 instead of (-O2 or -O3) with the cpu_threaded.z and memory.u and it works just fine.

Hope that helps.
works great so far!

nvm got it to work.

Started Kingdom Hearts, crashed at video :( i had hopes but still not anyone's fault, awesome emulator regardless

Back