Gpsp Is Out!

Jengo

Website
Visit site
So GPSP came out today and it plays pretty darn good, but there is one instant fail.

No deadzones in the menus makes changing the options almost impossible. Other then that its great! :)

check it out at openhandhelds

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,529

EDIT::: AFTER TRYING A FEW DIFFERENT THINGS THE PROBLEM HAS DISAPPEARED, SORRY FOR THE FALSE ALARM!!

Good but...

- it shouldn't include gba_bios :p
- does overclock function work ? (I found pollux_dpc_set in that folder and I wonder if it's working)
- it would be nice to know the porter and have sourcecode

Great :) been looking forward to this coming out

thanks to the author

paul3100

Mr 2X said:
Good but...

- it shouldn't include gba_bios :p
- does overclock function work ? (I found pollux_dpc_set in that folder and I wonder if it's working)
- it would be nice to know the porter and have sourcecode

I removed the gba_bios file and reposted the gpsp for caanoo files.
Overclocking probably does not work, I have to read the Pollux databook first and check whether the right memory addresses are used in the pollux_dpc_set
I'll post a source code version soon (if it is legal), I'll need to cleanup the code and put some comments to it first

Last edited by a moderator:
Jengo said:
So GPSP came out today and it plays pretty darn good, but there is one instant fail.

No deadzones in the menus makes changing the options almost impossible. Other then that its great! :)

could you please elaborate a bit about the dead zones

m.w.wijlaars said:
I removed the gba_bios file and reposted the gpsp for caanoo files.
Overclocking probably does not work, I have to read the Pollux databook first and check whether the right memory addresses are used in the pollux_dpc_set
I'll post a source code version soon (if it is legal), I'll need to cleanup the code and put some comments to it first
great job on this!

I'll post my thoughts and bugs after a good day of testing, but so far works great!

This is great so far! Thank you very much!

Of course there are some things to be fixed as mentioned, like the sound.
Things to notice, right on stick displays the FPS regardless what key maps you have for that.
On some different overclocking values, sound goes faster (766Mhz) but with 700Mhz it's fine.
I think menu navigation is ok.

Off to a great start!

Issues I noticed:

> Mariokart has something weird going on with the music - certain instruments play while others are silent.
> One of the graphic modes doesn't work - unscaled with anti-tearing I think.
> Initial button mappings are kinda weird.

Aside from those minor quibbles, great job!

Awww, pity about the sound (I don't know about anyone else, but I get almost no sound at all in most games and if I do get any, it's high-pitched beepy sound, as if only one audio layer is working), but I guess it's one of those things that takes time to figure out. The speed and graphics are really impressive... I can't wait for this one to be finished! Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I was playing Mat Hoffmans Bmx 2 - sound wasnt that bad - I find the button layout a bit strange though,
Great start though ;)

THANKS A LOT.

it work very fast. faster than gpsp for wiz.
The only problem i notice is the sound and music
*** button layout is strange. maybe i will modify it. EDIT: LOL, You can changes your buttons configuration in the gpsp menu. ***

MAriokart work finally.

Ramdomly when i choose a rom the gpsp emulator return to the wiz main menu instead of loading a rom. it doesnt happen very often

Thanks again

Got problems with GTA and Banjo Kazooie

GTA gets black screen when the games about to begin a mission
And Banjo Kazooie goes round in circles as in keeps resetting its self after game start lol,
How annoying man :blink:

m.w.wijlaars said:
Jengo said:

deadzones are a zone on the joystick where it is dead, in other words to make the menus more easily usable you make a deadzone on the joystick so that you have to move the joystick all the way up in order for it to move on the menu, instead i barely put my finger on it and the highlighted menu item goes all over the place, i cant get it to stay on one item because there are no deadzones, any slight tap sends the highlight flying around to different options. in other words, make the joystick less sensitive in the menus, for a good example of good deadzones check out picodrive, that emu is perfect!! (and my favorite!) :)

Jengo said:
m.w.wijlaars said:
Jengo said:

deadzones are a zone on the joystick where it is dead, in other words to make the menus more easily usable you make a deadzone on the joystick so that you have to move the joystick all the way up in order for it to move on the menu, instead i barely put my finger on it and the highlighted menu item goes all over the place, i cant get it to stay on one item because there are no deadzones, any slight tap sends the highlight flying around to different options. in other words, make the joystick less sensitive in the menus, for a good example of good deadzones check out picodrive, that emu is perfect!! (and my favorite!) :)

Jengo what firmware version are you using on your caanoo? Since 1.6 most of the joystick issues are better. The menu and option navigation is not bad at all for me. Although deadzones will make it perfect.

The menus were a bit sensitive, but after some time with it, it isn't much of an issue, just have to use a sensitive touch.

Two of the Pokemon roms I used do not work (probably the roms fault)

There were a few roms with sound issues, but over all things work brilliantly.

We remapped the buttons to be more natural to me and the wife. The only thing now we really would like is to hide the fps

Thanks for the emulator by the way.. my wife loves her GBA roms

(edited for mixing my emulators last night was a busy Caanoo night)

after more vigorous testing with Picodrive i have determined that my joystick is fine. This gba emu just needs deadzones really really bad.

Here is a better definition of deadzones.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006031104229

I have almost no issues with the navigation in the menu, maybe it is indeed your joystick? I had different sound issues as well, some games I tried played the music only as a very distant distorted noise, e.g. Gunstar Heroes and R-Type III, other had high pitched music with crackling noises in it, e.g. Yoshi's Island. Apart from that, the emulation worked fine.

Many thanks for the Caanoo port.

Back