Gpsp Is Out!

Jengo said:
im using 1.0.6, the newest one available on openhandhelds.

You guys are starting to make me worry, what if my joystick is bad?

hmmm, me too the joystick work very well with the gpsp menu. very strange

Last edited by a moderator:
well, after re-downloading it and recopying it to my SD card the problem has seemed to have gone... but now every time i push right on the joystick the FPS turns on and off....

very wierd, its okay tho, its just the beta version! Its already looking fantastic!! great job! :)

EDIT:: Double checked again, still no joystick problem anymore, now its just the FPS thing, sorry for blowing the whistle too soon, was just trying to help with the beta testing ;)

Jengo said:
well, after re-downloading it and recopying it to my SD card the problem has seemed to have gone... but now every time i push right on the joystick the FPS turns on and off....

very wierd, its okay tho, its just the beta version! Its already looking fantastic!! great job! :)

EDIT:: Double checked again, still no joystick problem anymore, now its just the FPS thing, sorry for blowing the whistle too soon, was just trying to help with the beta testing ;)
sounds like you got the version the rest of us have now =P

anyway bugs bugs bugs

-sound (not going to elaborate but it needs alot of work)
-home button is not configurable in button config menu
-Overclock appears to work to some extent... fps increases up to 800mhz stable ~70fps some games (crash at 866)
-display scaling : unscaled 3:2 anti-tear, scaled 3:1 anti-tear both broken (but not needed, problem was wiz only)
-fps on right analog is not configurable
-graphic layers in some games garbled (lufia intro)
-some games fail to load and crash to rom select or caanoo menu but will open on 2nd launch
-menu doesn't compensate for caanoo bezel issue and top half row of rom selection are cut off

Thanks for this, I have been waiting for this. Much appreciated!

I also think the initial button-layout is weird, but as you can change A/B to whatever you want that seems fine.
For me some games have sound, others not. Besides that everything is good.

Again, thanks for porting.

Throwing my two bits in about the analog-right = toggle fps bug...

I can't figure it out, mostly because I can't follow the input handling itself. However there is this array for the initial mappings:
Code:
u32 gamepad_config_map[16] =
{
  BUTTON_ID_UP,                 // Up
  BUTTON_ID_LEFT,               // Left
  BUTTON_ID_DOWN,               // Down
  BUTTON_ID_RIGHT,              // Right
  BUTTON_ID_START,              // Start
  BUTTON_ID_SELECT,             // Select
  BUTTON_ID_L,                  // Ltrigger
  BUTTON_ID_R,                  // Rtrigger
  BUTTON_ID_FPS,                // A
  BUTTON_ID_A,                  // B
  BUTTON_ID_B,                  // X
  BUTTON_ID_MENU,               // Y
  BUTTON_ID_VOLDOWN,            // Vol down
  BUTTON_ID_VOLUP,              // Vol up
  BUTTON_ID_FPS,                // Push
  BUTTON_ID_MENU                // Vol middle
};

I notice BUTTON_ID_FPS occurs twice, even though pushing the a-stick doesn't actually toggle the fps counter. If this snippet were working as the comments suggest it should, the a-stick push would toggle the fps counter on and off.

the sound and music seem to work correclty in super mario bros 3 (mario advance )

its the only game that music and sound work ok.

with my caanoo at 800 mhz any game crash within 5 minutes.
at 766 mhz or less it works perfect.

So after a few days of testing it appears that the major problems are:

Sound
button mapping,
dead zone
FPS popup
display scaling

A few issues I don't understand:
1: I have no (or very little) sound problems, but I don't play many games, just for testing, so which games have sound issues.
2: The following comment I don't understand: "-menu doesn't compensate for caanoo bezel issue and top half row of rom selection are cut off". What does it mean?
3: What should the button map look like, which GBA button should be mapped onto which caanoo button?

m.w.wijlaars said:
So after a few days of testing it appears that the major problems are:

Sound
button mapping,
dead zone
FPS popup
display scaling

1: I have no (or very little) sound problems, but I don't play many games, just for testing, so which games have sound issues.
2: The following comment I don't understand: "-menu doesn't compensate for caanoo bezel issue and top half row of rom selection are cut off". What does it mean?
3: What should the button map look like, which GBA button should be mapped onto which caanoo button?

Thanks for you work so far, hope my answers will help you

1) A lot games completely lack the music, instead, you get only some very quite distorted noise from the speakers, for example R-Type III, Gunstar, Heroes, Metroid Fusion, Pinball of the Dead, Super Mario Advance, Metal Slug Advance.
Another sound problem, that is rather rare can be found in Super Mario Advance 3, where the sound is sounds a little bit to high pitched, but this can be due to the fact, that the emulator heavily frameskips here.

2) The Caannoo has a bezel around the screen wich covers the first 4 and last pixels horizontally and vertically, if you open the rom browser, the line with the path is a little bit to high, so it is partly covered by the bezel, no big deal, in the menus and everywere else everything is fine.

3) I would prefer a button setting, that resembles the original GBA, this means Caanoo B = GBA A and Caanoo X = GBA B, so the buttons would have the same physical layout as on the GBA. Start and Select could be mapped to I and II as you already did it, and the home button could be used to get the menu up. Currently, this is mapped to Y and you often press it accidently.

I hope this helps you a little bit, thanks again, the emulator works already great.

m.w.wijlaars said:
1)Metroid fusion is probably the worse I seen, sound is extremely off in that game but does technically function, I'll start looking for more
EDIT:megaman zero

2)the bezel of the caanoo (or some caanoos?) the top portion of the screen is under the bezel, I'd say about 10 rows of pixels maybe? 4 pixels aparently o_O can you start drawing your menus lower down the screen?

3)My preferred/proposed button mapping (I think all emulators should follow this)

Caanoo / GBA
--------------
Up= Up
Left= Left
Down= Down
Right= Right
L Shoulder= L Shoulder
R Shoulder= R Shoulder
Help/I= Start
Help/II= Select
Home= Menu
Caanoo X= GBA B
Caanoo B= GBA A
Caanoo A= unspecified
Caanoo Y= unspecified

Sonic Advance is pretty bad, nearly all sound is missing. Megaman Battle Network 5 (Team Protoman, if the exact version matters) is better, but some of the sound channels (or instruments) are still missing. Hope this helps somewhat.

m.w.wijlaars said:

Pretty much every single one. Which games did you test? Nearly every game I've tried either has severe sound problems or no sound at all. Only the beepy NES style audio track seems to be playing for the most part, so you get the odd beep in some games - everything more complex is silent. But hey, if it will help, I went and tested all my games:

Advance Wars - No sound
Advance Wars 2 - Mostly silent, sometimes you get a bit of NES style beepy music
Alien Hominid - Sound on title screen, actual game is silent
Astro Boy - Beeps for sound effects, no music
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - No sound
Drill Dozer - Music and sound are there, but again just sounds like a load of beeps
Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls - Only one audio track (beeps again)
Golden Sun - No sound except beeps in the menu
Gunstar Super Heroes - Beeps only, no music
Kingdom Hearts - Music plays at the start but the intro video crashes the game so I don't know about the rest of the soundtrack.
Klonoa - Seems okay but that game is mostly beeps anyway
Lego Star Wars II - Okay, erm, this one is fine... I don't know why that is. Perhaps the epic power of John Williams just broke through regardless.
Mario & Luigi - Only beeps again
Mario Golf - No sound except the chimes at the Gameboy logo
Mario Tennis - Ditto
Megaman Zero 3 - No sound in the intro, couldn't be bothered to test any further because the intro to that game is too damn long
Metroid Fusion - Occasional beeps
Metroid Zero Mission - Occasional beeps
Ninja Five-O - Beeps
Puyo Pop Fever - Not too bad, but music is incomplete
Sonic Advance 1-3 wouldn't load at all for some reason but this was just a rough test and I probably just need to re-download them
TMNT - No sound
Wario Ware and Zelda: Minish Cap didn't load either.

Popcorn Dave said:
Sonic Advance 1-3 wouldn't load at all for some reason but this was just a rough test and I probably just need to re-download them
Wario Ware and Zelda: Minish Cap didn't load either.
Just an idea on those, I had my roms unzipped when I first tried them and Sonic Advance ran fine (save for sound and FPS display issues). When I re-zipped them and tried them, Sonic Advance didn't run... so maybe those ROM need to be unzipped to run on gpSP.

Sounds like the direct sound channel emulation is somehow being turned off. It could be that the timers aren't being emulated somehow...

Given that the source isn't out (hint: you're required to do this) I can't try to find what the problem is. Of course posting source code is legal, it's also required. Read the license files.

Exophase said:
Sounds like the direct sound channel emulation is somehow being turned off. It could be that the timers aren't being emulated somehow...

Given that the source isn't out (hint: you're required to do this) I can't try to find what the problem is. Of course posting source code is legal, it's also required. Read the license files.

it is out check the openhandhelds caanoo file archives.

Exophase said:

??

isnt the source code : http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,46,551

if you can give it a try, it will be cool to have the sound and music working better.

i can edit the button configuration, but im not able to do more than that.

Big thx to you Exophase! :) I did not download the emulator because of the sound problem, but now there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel. ;) But also big thx to m.w.wijlaars for the effort in porting gpsp to the Caanoo!

Back