Gpsp Is Out!

Have you tried zipping kingdom hearts? Many games only run when zipped and vice versa.
(Some games only run when unzipped)

castlevania circle of the moon: the music is too fast.
mariokart: the music and game are slower than normal. music dont work great, maybe because the slowdown.
still a great update.
thanks A LOT

Shierzhi said:
nvm got it to work.

Started Kingdom Hearts, crashed at video :( i had hopes but still not anyone's fault, awesome emulator regardless

Make a save state when it freezes, then resume from that save state. Do this every time it freezes. I'm pretty sure the kingdom hearts freezes on every version of gpsp.

Last edited by a moderator:
redlemon said:
Make a save state when it freezes, then resume from that save state. Do this every time it freezes. I'm pretty sure the kingdom hearts freezes on every version of gpsp.

Every version except any version I tried to debug it on :( There the video goes all corrupt instead, which is extremely difficult to debug. Suffice it to say that trying to figure out why the video went bad is a lot harder than trying to figure out why something crashes - this case was especially hard because it wasn't just the wrong data being written but it was actually the wrong code being called. The fact that it could either go corrupt or freeze depending on a change of version without a change to core emulation stuff suggests that it was something outside the emulation state, but who knows. I gave up trying to fix it. Hopefully I can get it right on another GBA emulator >_<

here is another unofficial release with the rom file requester modified to fit the caanoo screen (fix issue with long filenames etc ...)

http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/index.php?/archives/473-Caanoo-gpsp-Gameboy-advance-Emulator-for-Caanoo-v0.9.1.html

zx-81 said:
here is another unofficial release with the rom file requester modified to fit the caanoo screen (fix issue with long filenames etc ...)

http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/index.php?/archives/473-Caanoo-gpsp-Gameboy-advance-Emulator-for-Caanoo-v0.9.1.html
I was wondering is there any chance of a port of gpSP to the Pandora or have you abandoned that platform? A native version would be nice to take advantage of the speed and higher target resolution and scalers etc.

DaveC said:
I was wondering is there any chance of a port of gpSP to the Pandora or have you abandoned that platform?

I haven't abandoned pandora platform (i've released pushover 10 days ago), but for now i focus on this new portable console, which is really nice and powerful.

DaveC said:
A native version would be nice to take advantage of the speed and higher target resolution and scalers etc.

The gameboy advance is 240x160, so you need to stretch & smooth the image on pandora, but i guess it won't looks better than the wrapped / ginge version ...

Exophase said:
I just have to get the new version of Temper released so I can start on this.

Is your new version going to be for GP2X as well?

Hey zx-81! Great work on the emulator! I'm really enjoying watching this project progress!

zx-81 said:
DaveC said:
I was wondering is there any chance of a port of gpSP to the Pandora or have you abandoned that platform?

I haven't abandoned pandora platform (i've released pushover 10 days ago), but for now i focus on this new portable console, which is really nice and powerful.

DaveC said:
A native version would be nice to take advantage of the speed and higher target resolution and scalers etc.

The gameboy advance is 240x160, so you need to stretch & smooth the image on pandora, but i guess it won't looks better than the wrapped / ginge version ...
So the Caanoo is more powerful than the Pandora? That seems odd. Or is it just that you like it better for some reason?

Well 240 x 160 is 720 x 480 on Pandora if you just 3X scale it. That would look much better than a 240 x 160 screen scaled fractionally to 320 x 240 for GP2X then that in turn doubled through ginge to 640 x 480 which is actually pretty ugly.

So do you plan in the future to port gpSP to Pandora or no?

DaveC said:
So the Caanoo is more powerful than the Pandora? That seems odd. Or is it just that you like it better for some reason?

Of course the caanoo is less powerful than the pandora, but that's not my motivation (my netbook is more powerful than a pandora, and i don't port anything on it :D).
On pandora i've already ported tons of stuff, and it's not the case for the caanoo.

DaveC said:
Well 240 x 160 is 720 x 480 on Pandora if you just 3X scale it. That would look much better than a 240 x 160 screen scaled fractionally to 320 x 240 for GP2X then that in turn doubled through ginge to 640 x 480 which is actually pretty ugly.

I was just saying that since the GBA has a small resolution, when you stretch it to fit the pandora screen size, it won't look better, it's just bigger ... (when i'm using vba emu on my 22" PC, it look awful even using the best smooth image algorithm).

DaveC said:
So do you plan in the future to port gpSP to Pandora or no?

I don't plan to port this emu, since it works already fine using ginge.

zx-81 said:
DaveC said:

I was just saying that since the GBA has a small resolution, when you stretch it to fit the pandora screen size, it won't look better, it's just bigger ... (when i'm using vba emu on my 22" PC, it look awful even using the best smooth image algorithm).

Well That is incorrect.

Again, 240 x 160 fractionally scaled to 320 x 240 for GP2X looks bad. Then you take that bad fractionally scaled GP2X image and then double that from 320 x 240 to 640 x 480 it then looks horrible.

Scaling an even 3X from 240 x 160 straight to 720 x 480 would look MUCH better.

It is not the same as your PC as pixels on a 22" screen would be much blockier than on a 4.5" screen.

I sucks that no one will port this. I guess since you said in other post that you have in fack abandoned the Pandora and won't be porting anything else to it, that GBA will always be slow and look like crap on the Pandora through ginge. Ginge is not a good solution.

DaveC said:
I sucks that no one will port this. I guess since you said in other post that you have in fack abandoned the Pandora

I just wrote the contrary few post ahead (pushover was ported 10 days ago, that's not what i called "abandoned")

DaveC said:
and won't be porting anything else to it,

where did you read that, in which public forum ? i was just saying that i'm working 100% on the caanoo right now. I'm not the only coder here, there are many others, and sorry but i do what i want ;) ...

DaveC said:
that GBA will always be slow and look like crap on the Pandora through ginge. Ginge is not a good solution.

If someone find enough motivation to do it ... now back to the topic, if you want to discuss "why zx won't port gpsp to pandora" let's start a new thread :D

DaveC said:
zx-81 said:
DaveC said:

Well That is incorrect.

Again, 240 x 160 fractionally scaled to 320 x 240 for GP2X looks bad. Then you take that bad fractionally scaled GP2X image and then double that from 320 x 240 to 640 x 480 it then looks horrible.

Scaling an even 3X from 240 x 160 straight to 720 x 480 would look MUCH better.

It is not the same as your PC as pixels on a 22" screen would be much blockier than on a 4.5" screen.

I sucks that no one will port this. I guess since you said in other post that you have in fack abandoned the Pandora and won't be porting anything else to it, that GBA will always be slow and look like crap on the Pandora through ginge. Ginge is not a good solution.

Ginge sounds like a great piece of software for running closed source software that can't be ported, however I don't quite understand why so many people (even developers) are satisfied with running software like gpSP and gpfce that could be ported through this additional layer.

Lets say you want to fix a bug in gpSP, you have to build a gp2x or wiz binary and run that through Ginge? It seems like this would make things much more difficult in terms of finding and fixing bugs. In addition Ginge is closed source, so if there is a bug in Ginge you are screwed.

Why not native ports that take advantage of the higher resolution screen for scaling and utilizing the keyboard?

zx-81 said:
where did you read that, in which public forum ? i was just saying that i'm working 100% on the caanoo right now. I'm not the only coder here, there are many others, and sorry but i do what i want ;) ...

I am not sure why it would be a big secret or something. You contacted me basically saying you had no motivation to port any more stuff to the Pandora, the main reason being that your unit is broke. That sounds like a logical reason.

You may want to see if ED will fix it for you though. The new nubs and LCD cable are supposed to be more robust now. No sense in keeping a busted unit. If you don't really like it you could dump it on eBay or something. A working unit will get you a better price.

Back