Gpsp 0.9-2xb

After some playing I can say, the last version here of this emulator crashes more often than the older ones. Maybe Exo need a good debugger who can say why the emulator likes to crash? ^^ I had tested GPSP with and without OC, with and without RAM-Tweaks, With and without external power adaptor. It just crashes randomly and absolutely not reproduceable.

Well, Sonic Advance is faster than I thought. Strangely the Autoframeskip is the reason of this unsmoothnes I mentioned. With Auto FS 2 the game is much much more choppy than Auto FS 1 where the game can reach 60FPS at 266MHz. I ask because AUTO FS should only skip frames if it's necessary. But when the Game can reach for example 50 or 60 smooth Frames with Auto FS 1 the FPS shouldn't change with FS2 or 4 or whatever. Auto FS seems to act like manual FS sometimes.

fusion_power said:
After some playing I can say, the last version here of this emulator crashes more often than the older ones. Maybe Exo need a good debugger who can say why the emulator likes to crash? ^^ I had tested GPSP with and without OC, with and without RAM-Tweaks, With and without external power adaptor. It just crashes randomly and absolutely not reproduceable.

*snip*
Same here, It'll play great for a while, Sometimes about 20-30 minutes, then stall.
It does this for all games that I've tried so far, Including Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Pokemon Emerald and others.
Even though I save every few minutes, It's still quite annoying.

Note that I've tested all of these games at 200Mhz, No ram timings, And it still stalls.

-Arch

Last edited by a moderator:
:et's try to piece something together. I had a problem with lockups when I was using:
-First Edition, firmware 2.0, 240 mhz, gmenu2x with no changes (gamma, volume, timings/clock etc), mmuhack in directory, and default ram timings. I put gpsp 0.9-2xb with nothing else on my card for testing purposes..I still got random lockups and almost gave the emu up for dead till a new release. boredom struck..

I Flashed 2.1.1 and continued using the exact same setup I used previously with the addition of more agressive ram timings. I have no problem going to full default settings for testing once my batteries are charged back up, I bured through 3-4 sets in the last few days and have been too lazy to grab my charger from my car.

The only real difference is the firmware upgrade and I've already heard of people using 2.0 that say they don't have lockup problems so we need keep rounding down possibilities.

Gp2x Make (first, mk1, mk2)
Firmware
Clock speed/ram timings
alternative menu (settings if aplicable)
game tested w/ approx time played and maybe what was going on when it crashed
im sure there are plenty other things people could detail

good luck on no crashes

MK2
200Mhz/no ram tweaks
Gmenu2X (older version)
Pokémon Ruby, ~1hr
no crashing whatsoever after getting correct BIOS

Before, when I had the incorrect one, I would get random freezing. Now, I can underclock PkMn to 150Mhz and it's still smooth. Thanks for the great work on this fantastic emu!

hmm i really don't understand why everybody makes such a big mystery of the random crashes. Exophase previously stated that this might very well be related to the sound buffer. The sfx being processed in a seperate thread and then being updated asynchronous seems to lead to lock ups some times, especially when usage peaks. the best suggestion until now, seems to be to raise the sound buffer to 4096 bytes instead of 2048. I had no serious problems with freezes lately.

1. Use the correct bios file
2. Make sure you have deleted old .cfg files in your rom folder
3. Use a sound buffer of 4096

try that and report if it still freezes so frequently...

xnopasaranx said:
hmm i really don't understand why everybody makes such a big mystery of the random crashes. Exophase previously stated that this might very well be related to the sound buffer. The sfx being processed in a seperate thread and then being updated asynchronous seems to lead to lock ups some times, especially when usage peaks. the best suggestion until now, seems to be to raise the sound buffer to 4096 bytes instead of 2048. I had no serious problems with freezes lately.

Raised the sound buffer to 4096 and have the correct bios, also installed it on a fresh directory but doing this did not reduced the lock ups rate for me at all, the best thig I could do was to asign save state to Y button and save often :D

I've only had one freeze up since this was released, it was while on the blue menu.

Don't know why it happened, but thankfully it hasn't happened again.

MK2
FW 2.0

I usually just play Mario Kart Super Circuit at 250 Mhz, sound buffer at 4096.

RAM tweaks: 2,4,6,1,1,2,2,2

Thanks again Exophase :)

xnopasaranx said:

numerous people have done the above, myself included, and it freezes as regular as ever.

As per Greenmikey, I will try and update the firmware and see how that goes, however, that is at the expense of gmenu2x, as this won't autoboot with fw211 on my unit (grrr!)

Out of curiosity, how do I know my Bios is correct? I am using the one included with the GBA pack on that Torrent site.

i have found somthing (Teste done with Legend of Zelda, The - The Minish Cap [E]/ GP2x CPU 200MHz with Tweaked RAM Timings).
Using bad bios and sound activated (with 4096 ou 2048) crash around 15 minutes without sound activated crash around 1H.
Using good bios more FPS (5-10FPS) and no more crash.

Save game are not compatible within Bad bios and good bios.

cHEM said:
Out of curiosity, how do I know my Bios is correct?
The emu will now give an error message if BIOS is incorrect.

cHEM said:
Out of curiosity, how do I know my Bios is correct? I am using the one included with the GBA pack on that Torrent site.
I think the one bundled with gpsp is incorrect, however as, imhotep says, you would get the incorrect bios message. I found the correct bios amongst a DS set.

ste_167 said:
you would get the incorrect bios message.

hmm, thats what I thought. Still, its an avenue worth persuing, I'll see if I can locate some other bioses tonight and if they help or not.

Samba Pa Ti said:
even with the right bios the emulator says it has the incorrect one (it still works though)

Not true , i had this problem and tried many diffrent bios files , i finally found the right one ( no more wrong bios message ) and the emu is much more playable now ... Bud

Samba Pa Ti said:
even with the right bios the emulator says it has the incorrect one (it still works though)
YOu must erase all the *cfg inside and outside roms folder.

Yod4z said:
Save game are not compatible within Bad bios and good bios.

My Pokemon ruby gamesave from the bad bios works just fine with the good bios.

Back